Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

greendom wrote: »
    so what do we do with the midfield when Ramsey is fully fit. Who gets dropped?

Jack is back to his best and can't be dropped. I like what Aaron brings to our midfield from an attacking sense but him and Jack would leave the defence too exposed. Its certainly a conundrum.

That problem will sort itself out when Özil goes in 6 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

so what do we do with the midfield when Ramsey is fully fit. Who gets dropped?

Jack is back to his best and can't be dropped. I like what Aaron brings to our midfield from an attacking sense but him and Jack would leave the defence too exposed. Its certainly a conundrum.

Think he'll try to switch it back to a back 4 with one of Jack or Ramsey out on the right. Would like to see a Xhaka replacement bought in January as well as a Sanchez replacement.

Nothing like 3 points to stop the bickering in here :D

3 points are only worth something if the club was actually going somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That problem will sort itself out when Özil goes in 6 months time.

but what is our best midfield at the moment?

3 points are only worth something if the club was actually going somewhere

Nope, 3 points are always worth the same thing, 3 points.

No matter how much howling at the moon is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Think he'll try to switch it back to a back 4 with one of Jack or Ramsey out on the right. Would like to see a Xhaka replacement bought in January as well as a Sanchez replacement.

I think that there are a good number of players that would improve if they were coached properly under different management, Xhaka being a prime candidate, along with Kola, Bellerin and maybe some of the other younger players.

Saying that there are others that just need to be moved on as I don't think they will improve regardless of who is in charge i.e. Welbeck and Walcott.

I don't think Wenger's philosophy will ever work properly with Arsenal, not without spending more than City to get the absolute best players in. It would probably work well with Barca, Madrid or Bayern who already have a very good base of players to work with. However, until you have that level of player, the idea that allowing players to play their own game because they are among the best in the world, is always going to be a struggle. Most players, despite their level need coaching, something that seems clearly lacking most of the time in Arsenal.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I think that there are a good number of players that would improve if they were coached properly under different management, Xhaka being a prime candidate, along with Kola, Bellerin and maybe some of the other younger players.

Saying that there are others that just need to be moved on as I don't think they will improve regardless of who is in charge i.e. Welbeck and Walcott.

I don't think Wenger's philosophy will ever work properly with Arsenal, not without spending more than City to get the absolute best players in. It would probably work well with Barca, Madrid or Bayern who already have a very good base of players to work with. However, until you have that level of player, the idea that allowing players to play their own game because they are among the best in the world, is always going to be a struggle. Most players, despite their level need coaching, something that seems clearly lacking most of the time in Arsenal.

I'd agree with most of this but with regards to Xhaka i just don't think he's up to it at the highest level. There are certain things that he does well but there are huge glaring holes in his game that Wenger hasn't coached into him(and i accept that he's been asked to play a slightly different role than at Borussia).

I'd be looking for someone better.

Nope, 3 points are always worth the same thing, 3 points.

No matter how much howling at the moon is done.

Great but where is the club actually going at the end of the day? Looking at the bigger picture here.

farna_boy wrote: »

I don't think Wenger's philosophy will ever work properly with Arsenal, not without spending more than City to get the absolute best players in. It would probably work well with Barca, Madrid or Bayern who already have a very good base of players to work with.

I don't think his tactics would work anywhere. Give him a trillion to spend and the net result will be the same. He is tactically inept and outdated.

Great but where is the club actually going at the end of the day? Looking at the bigger picture here.

I think Arsene will leave at the end of the season, i think the background appointments signify this. Ivan eventually got his men in the door after the cluster**** at boardroom level had left Arsene in a strong position towards the end of last season.

Unfortunately i don't see Stan leaving any time soon, which means we won't be winning the league any time soon, with Arsene or whoever replaces him.

• Advertisement

I think Arsene will leave at the end of the season, i think the background appointments signify this. Ivan eventually got his men in the door after the cluster**** at boardroom level had left Arsene in a strong position towards the end of last season.

Unfortunately i don't see Stan leaving any time soon, which means we won't be winning the league any time soon, with Arsene or whoever replaces him.

Think it's too simple to point the finger at Kroenke. He don't pick the team at the end of the day.

A more tactically astute manager that can get us to defend properly and scrap the artistic vanity that is Wengerball will make a real difference to the team. Give me pragmatism over that slow farcical muck any day of the week

If we can at least push a title race all the way we can't ask any more than that. Downing tools in February or March and falling like a stone is unacceptable

Think it's too simple to point the finger at Kroenke. He don't pick the team at the end of the day.

A more tactically astute manager that can get us to defend properly and scrap the artistic vanity that is Wengerball will make a real difference to the team. Give me pragmatism over that slow farcical muck any day of the week

If we can at least push a title race all the way we can't ask any more than that. Downing tools in February or March and falling like a stone is unacceptable

I'm not simplying pointing at Kroenke and saying he's the only problem, but when you've got the other top clubs doing everything they can to win the league, leaving no stone unturned and you've got Kroenke who literally doesn't care if we do or not, his focus is thousands of miles away, then you've got to fancy the other clubs.

Especially as they will also massively outspend Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So who would be happy to see Wenger stay after next summer?
    What is he bringing to the table now? 6th place is about where it's at for me as I can't see us finishing any higher. Our defensive issues are not being addressed and if Ozil and Sanchez leave then we will be just about achieving 6th for the next number of years under Wenger.

For me the FA Cup is not nearly enough to be winning. It's a bit like just getting the dessert and no dinner but maybe the odd lad has a sweet tooth and is happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just for a day, you can't put your attitude to the side and say something positive about a pretty significant achievement. It's a bit sad.

I genuinely have nothing positive to say about Wengers 'achievement' if he was continuing to be successful and an architect for future success in the club I might feel it but for me this achievement is all his and his alone.

He would not have survived the last 5 years at any other top club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

We could easily finish in the top 4, but that's it. And that's not good enough any more. For me, if he won the Europa it would be a good season IMO but I still would like him to call time on it now. It would be a great way to sign off.

I'm not simplying pointing at Kroenke and saying he's the only problem, but when you've got the other top clubs doing everything they can to win the league, leaving no stone unturned and you've got Kroenke who literally doesn't care if we do or not, his focus is thousands of miles away, then you've got to fancy the other clubs.

Especially as they will also massively outspend Arsenal.
    That's a bit defeatist Arne and letting Wenger off the hook.
    I'm sure there are loads of managers who would love to have the squad Wenger has and who would set them up properly to mount a better challenge than Wenger has been doing for 7/8 years now. Look how Big Sam has changed Everton defensively in only a matter of weeks. Arsenal could have brought him (or someone else) in as a defensive coach when he was out of work surely and he could have worked alongside Wenger on that issue. Not to address serious issues with the team is criminal imo.

That's a bit defeatist Arne and letting Wenger off the hook.
    I'm sure there are loads of managers who would love to have the squad Wenger has and who would set them up properly to mount a better challenge than Wenger has been doing for 7/8 years now. Look how Big Sam has changed Everton defensively in only a matter of weeks. Arsenal could have brought him (or someone else) in as a defensive coach when he was out of work surely and he could have worked alongside Wenger on that issue. Not to address serious issues with the team is criminal imo.

It's one thing to set a team up defensively, another to have to make the play all game in every game. Moyes found that out at United, Big Sam is no better.

It's not defeatist or letting Wenger off the hook, it's a fact. I think Wenger should have left a couple of years back, but are you telling me that the situation at board level is grand?

Even Levy at Spurs is obsessed with pushing the club forward, Stan doesn't give a **** & doesn't have a ****ing clue about football. It's a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's one thing to set a team up defensively, another to have to make the play all game in every game. Moyes found that out at United, Big Sam is no better.

It's not defeatist or letting Wenger off the hook, it's a fact. I think Wenger should have left a couple of years back, but are you telling me that the situation at board level is grand?

Even Levy at Spurs is obsessed with pushing the club forward, Stan doesn't give a **** & doesn't have a ****ing clue about football. It's a big problem.

Agree with you fully on Stan, he's a huge problem looking at how much he doesn't give a **** about Rams supporters tells a story for Arsenal fans.

The problem is Wenger fronts up for him, won't apply public pressure on him to do more for the club, instead he sits in the hotseat spouting messages on behalf of the board. Wenger is the cushion between Stan and the fans and until he goes Stan is safe.

Well our team is very porous and Wenger is not addressing it. How many times have we all said that even when players have a howler they are on the team the next day with no consequences. This has nothing to do with Stan who none of us want at the club. AND why doesn't Wenger come out and say the truth about what's happening in the boardroom? Why did he not comment on Kronke's statement that he didn't give a damn about not winning trophies and only wanted to make money from the club? He has plenty to say on everything else even things not Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ lads, when Wenger is gone you'll be ****ing lost.

You're incapable of talking about anything else.

Jesus Christ lads, when Wenger is gone you'll be ****ing lost.

You're incapable of talking about anything else.
    Because he's dragging the club backwards and as you say yourself he needs to go. Hopefully Kronke will go with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Apparently Arsenal are wearing the home kit with red shorts tomorrow. That’s going to look very strange and can’t remember seeing Arsenal wear all red before. Don’t know why they can’t just wear white shorts, as short clashes are allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Apparently Arsenal are wearing the home kit with red shorts tomorrow. That’s going to look very strange and can’t remember seeing Arsenal wear all red before. Don’t know why they can’t just wear white shorts, as short clashes are allowed.

I think it’s because the white shorts would clash with the white in West Brom’s jersey?

Actually happened a few times back in the 70s before. Against Southampton at Highbury in the snow at Christmas back in 1970 (double winning season)

In 1975 the League enforced a rule that shorts must change in the event of a clash of shorts so Arsenal wore red shorts against QPR and Leeds that season but then reverted to wearing the away kit where necessary instead of alternative shorts
    12163-zoom.jpg

I think the 1980s was the last time Arsenal used red shorts but im not sure what occasion. Just seen it on a tweet yesterday. Its definitely an article for Denis at museumofjerseys to cover in the future :)

The last time home change shorts were worn was as recent as 2013 v Fenerbache but they were navy blue on that occasion
    https://museumofjerseysdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/arsenal-2013-alternative-home-kit-navy-blue-shorts-fenerbahce-champions-league2.png?w=1200

Some unfortunate bastardisations in the 80s too
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1WzW7LWhcWF6p9HRDweaChLzTpp15t5EM26Z4kPES_QeMyZpZ

everton82.png?w=529

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

L'prof wrote: »
    I think it’s because the white shorts would clash with the white in West Brom’s jersey?

Just find it strange as West Brom wore their home kit at the Emirates earlier this season with white shorts, so don’t see any reason why Arsenal can’t tomorrow. I know it’s not really a big deal, just will be strange looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

L'prof wrote: »

Just find it strange as West Brom wore their home kit at the Emirates earlier this season with white shorts, so don’t see any reason why Arsenal can’t tomorrow. I know it’s not really a big deal, just will be strange looking.
    I blame Wenger!

Banter or more signs of division in the camp?

Check out @ElNennyM’;s Tweet:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Banter or more signs of division in the camp?

Check out @ElNennyM’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/ElNennyM/status/947111775866114049?s=09

Really?

It just looks like a friendly dig at Sanchez because Chile haven't qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

The rest of u anti sanchez people plus those stupid players at arsenal who all on a witch hunt on Sanchez can all jog along! Sanchez has been and still is our best and most hard work player and I wish him all the best when he leaves this titanic club sinking with all these lazy rubbish players.

I'm literally close to losing support of this crap of a club. Makes me sick hearing about arsenal. Bloody joke of a club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I see mahrez taken off early to sign his pre agreement with Arsenal

• Advertisement

The rest of u anti sanchez people plus those stupid players at arsenal who all on a witch hunt on Sanchez can all jog along! Sanchez has been and still is our best and most hard work player and I wish him all the best when he leaves this titanic club sinking with all these lazy rubbish players.

I'm literally close to losing support of this crap of a club. Makes me sick hearing about arsenal. Bloody joke of a club

Have the players at Arsenal actually said anything, or are you being wound up by the fake news created by media?

FixitFelix wrote: »

Have the players at Arsenal actually said anything, or are you being wound up by the fake news created by media?
    Wound up by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

To be fair, he is hugely overrated and in many games he takes away from the team rather than adds to it.

I won't be sad to see him go.

Wound up by the media.

Stop buying the mirror

Quazzie wrote: »

To be fair, he is hugely overrated and in many games he takes away from the team rather than adds to it.

I won't be sad to see him go.
    his not. many games his won on his own mate.

He is a world class player

Sanchez is not gone yet lads.
    There might be little or no interest from other teams.
    Wenger said he had no inquiries as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

if he doesn't go in January he'll be gone on a free in the summer. Either way he won't be sticking around for the long term

Really?

It just looks like a friendly dig at Sanchez because Chile haven't qualified.

banter then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happy New Year guys! Have a great 2018. Enjoy the game today. COYG

A shame that palace couldn't put away their penalty at the end and stop city's invincible season.

Still makes our win over them the other day look decent, though.

• Advertisement

A shame that palace couldn't put away their penalty at the end and stop city's invincible season.

Any way we can pin this on Wenger??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Thought that was their invincible season gone there!

Disgusting tackle on De Bruyne at the end.

Yeah. I believe City beat Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Isn't it obvious?

City dropped points, proving they are not all conquering, therefore Wenger has no excuse for not winning the league.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious?

City dropped points, proving they are not all conquering, therefore Wenger has no excuse for not winning the league.
    There are also reports of Wenger tuning in to the match late. Just as Townsend was about to take the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hope pep throws a nice offer for Sanchez with those injurys now soon :)

Sure enough Denis has done an article re today's choice of shorts

https://museumofjerseys.com/2017/12/31/arsenal-red-shorts-west-brom/

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hope pep throws a nice offer for Sanchez with those injurys now soon :)

i'd still rather he went abroad. at the very least be good to get a bit of competition going to push the price up. with Walcott looking like he's on the way out too a good replacement is vital in Jan. I'd be hapoy if we went back for Lemar. Fekir would be nice too. Mahrez would be acceptable too

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious?

Now who's howling at the moon. Guys don't be so flippant. Just accept he is an irrelevant, overpaid has been. Surely signing Kim kallstrom with a broken back four years ago convinced you of this? Or the several hammerings and capitulations suffered since that defeat??

You mention City but what about the four other teams in front of us?

Do you not think we should be at the very least in the mix? Come on now

• Advertisement

i'd still rather he went abroad. at the very least be good to get a bit of competition going to push the price up. with Walcott looking like he's on the way out too a good replacement is vital in Jan. I'd be hapoy if we went back for Lemar. Fekir would be nice too. Mahrez would be acceptable too

Doesn't matter who we sign. Same tired tactics. We might rise up and provide a banana skin here or there but that's as good as it will get. Messi? Ronaldo? Still wouldn't make a difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement