Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    Of course. What I don't understand is the reason to go on and on and on and on about it, while simultaneously being unable to give any credit where credit is due.

Who deserves credit though Basil?
    We haven#t won the EPL in 12 years.
    Our performances have been brutal except for the odd big scalp every now and again. Looking at that today do you think that is good or acceptable for a club like Arsenal?

By the way I don't get mad at posters on here I just fail to see their point regarding Wenger and the way our club is being ran. Today didn't really annoy me, well not the result anyway as i've come to expect those, it's the poor football that we have come to expect and which is now the norm that gets to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

That penalty decision was a ****ing joke. What infuriates me is as a United fan that was given and Lingard's wasn't. Referee's need much more help than they are getting.

In the 6 games since United, Positions of opposition before the match from here: http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=leagues

D West Brom (20)
    W Palace (16)
    D Liverpool (4)
    W Newcastle (16)
    D West Ham (19)
    D Southampton (12)

Jokeshop lads.

That penalty decision was a ****ing joke. What infuriates me is as a United fan that was given and Lingard's wasn't. Referee's need much more help than they are getting.

They won't accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Arsenal are doing it to me. I've even lost the enthusiasm to hit the button.

Bit like that myself, when they gave the peno away I was meh! Maybe in part because I felt we’d finish 5th/6th this year. League is dead and Europa prob only hope of CL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Decided to give the game a miss and take the kids ice skating, delighted with that decision now

#wengerout

Who deserves credit though Basil?
    We haven#t won the EPL in 12 years.
    Our performances have been brutal except for the odd big scalp every now and again. Looking at that today do you think that is good or acceptable for a club like Arsenal?

By the way I don't get mad at posters on here I just fail to see their point regarding Wenger and the way our club is being ran. Today didn't really annoy me, well not the result anyway as i've come to expect those, it's the poor football that we have come to expect and which is now the norm that gets to me.

If your basis for credit is winning the league, then yes.....no credit is due to anyone.

My stance regarding Wenger hasn't changed. Unfortunately, the way things work around here is if you don't rant about getting him out at every opportunity, you're a Wengerite (or whatever name people want to call it).

If your basis for credit is winning the league, then yes.....no credit is due to anyone.

My stance regarding Wenger hasn't changed. Unfortunately, the way things work around here is if you don't rant about getting him out at every opportunity, you're a Wengerite (or whatever name people want to call it).
    But you haven't answered the question. Who deserves credit?

But you haven't answered the question. Who deserves credit?

You want to list every instance of when I think someone should have been given credit?

You want to list every instance of when I think someone should have been given credit?

Here's your post to tipp gunner -
    Of course. What I don't understand is the reason to go on and on and on and on about it, while simultaneously being unable to give any credit where credit is due.

You also made it plain that you were happy to see Wenger get a new 2 year contract. So why was that?

• Advertisement

Here's your post to tipp gunner -

You also made it plain that you were happy to see Wenger get a new 2 year contract. So why was that?

Wenger does plenty of things wrong, but he also does things right. When he does things right, he should be given credit. I don't think it's hard to understand what I'm saying.....and no, I'm not going to give a list of things he's done right.

I was happy for a new manager to come in also, depending on who it was. I believe I said I'd prefer Wenger over Eddie Howe, but you can go digging if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No, how “you” played should always factor into the result. That may blow your mind but think about it for a while

you can't expect glittering footbsll when you play 2 games in 3 days against a team fighting for their lives. At this time of year you just hope to come away with the 3 points. Thanks to the ref we didn't.

Wenger does plenty of things wrong, but he also does things right. When he does things right, he should be given credit. I don't think it's hard to understand what I'm saying.....and no, I'm not going to give a list of things he's done right.

I was happy for a new manager to come in also, depending on who it was. I believe I said I'd prefer Wenger over Eddie Howe, but you can go digging if you want.
    No intention of going digging.
    I was just interested in hearing the positives regarding Wenger as i'm unable to see them.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

x PyRo wrote: »
    Could have been said about Dean many moons ago.
    He always gave crucial decisions against us and seemed to take great delight in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

In fairness to Pardew he didnt start saying it was a penalty, he said he would also have been furious if it was given against him, and that everyone is in the dark regarding what is handball and what isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think FIFA need to radically change the punishment for what occurs in the penalty area.

Too many incidents that result in a penalty are far too innocuous, accidental, or the result of a bad call by officials, for the punishment that ensues (ie an almost certain goal). This, in turn, encourages simulation, cheating, whatever you want to call it because the reward is so great.

The fact that an innocuous handball in the corner of the penalty area with the ball going away from goal can result in the same punishment as a handball that prevents a goalscoring opportunity both result in a penalty is plainly wrong.

They need to re-visit indirect free kicks or some sort of other ‘penalty’ for incidents that are not likely to lead to a goal.

eigrod wrote: »
    I think FIFA need to radically change the punishment for what occurs in the penalty area.

Too many incidents that result in a penalty are far too innocuous, accidental, or the result of a bad call by officials, for the punishment that ensues (ie an almost certain goal). This, in turn, encourages simulation, cheating, whatever you want to call it because the reward is so great.

The fact that an innocuous handball in the corner of the penalty area with the ball going away from goal can result in the same punishment as a handball that prevents a goalscoring opportunity both result in a penalty is plainly wrong.

They need to re-visit indirect free kicks or some sort of other ‘penalty’ for incidents that are not likely to lead to a goal.

My view is that they like the controversy. Plenty of other sports use technology to help make crucial decisions. I think in football, a team should be allowed a couple of appeals per match for dodgy decisions. A lot of them could be decided in a matter of seconds by the equivalent of a rugby TMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I know it's been said a million times but where is there any shred of consistency

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/947554434279792640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

My view is that they like the controversy. Plenty of other sports use technology to help make crucial decisions. I think in football, a team should be allowed a couple of appeals per match for dodgy decisions. A lot of them could be decided in a matter of seconds by the equivalent of a rugby TMO.

That’s true but in football there are too many incidents that just split opinion even after looking at it 20times - was it a dive or was it not? Was it deliberate, was it not? For me, a penalty is far too harsh a ‘penalty’ for many incidents that occur in the penalty area, irrespective of whether it was a foul, handball or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just watching match of the day.

What's with the all red kit???!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Just watching match of the day.

What's with the all red kit???!

Some bollox about shorts clashing.
    Though it was ok earlier this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Some bollox about shorts clashing.
    Though it was ok earlier this season.

But Shur we always play teams in white shorts?? Wtf.

Our basis is to mount a consistent sustainable whole hearted title challenge that doesn't die out mid Spring. It's pretty simple. If they don't win the league then they should die in their boots trying.

Instead we are subjected to this lame slow football and just when we get a run going we down tools and fall apart under pressure

My own personal opinion is that the players don't buy into Wengers rather naive philosophy apart from the odd spurt here and there.

Arsenal fans who go to the Emirates every week pay some of the highest ticket prices in world football. Many of these fans attend every away game also. They deserve far better than the mediocrity they are getting

Sanchez for manager!!!!!
    He's the only one that busts he's bollix,day in day out.

Its no wonder the rest are falling out with him,he's the only one not signing up to Arsenes mediocre Arsenal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

eigrod wrote: »
    That’s true but in football there are too many incidents that just split opinion even after looking at it 20times - was it a dive or was it not? Was it deliberate, was it not? For me, a penalty is far too harsh a ‘penalty’ for many incidents that occur in the penalty area, irrespective of whether it was a foul, handball or whatever.

You'll never remove controversy from refereeing decisions, not totally, but you can reduce them with more transparency in the entire system. A video ref will still cause controversy if they're not held to account for their decisions.

I think that the referees report at the end of the match should be much more specific, which would include their reasons for their decisions, explaining why they did or did not enforce X rule.

Sanchez for manager!!!!!
    He's the only one that busts he's bollix,day in day out.

Its no wonder the rest are falling out with him,he's the only one not signing up to Arsenes mediocre Arsenal.

ok lads I'm on pens, free kicks, and corners. When in doubt pass to me. I'll take goal kicks too and put myself in goal when we concede penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Lucas Perez has been linked with a move back to the club. Always found it strange that he was let go as he always produced the goods on the pitch. Iwobi has done sweet f all this season and could do with a loan move himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

we could do badly with him Iwobi is like a headless chicken at the best of times and when he's replacements are Walcott or Welbeck .....plus he was never given a fair chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

we could do badly with him Iwobi is like a headless chicken at the best of times and when he's replacements are Walcott or Welbeck .....plus he was never given a fair chance

Don’t see why we don’t just go for mahrez if walcott heads out, another great goal today. Head and shoulders above what we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Iwobi is total rubbish, championship level

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Don’t see why we don’t just go for mahrez if walcott heads out, another great goal today. Head and shoulders above what we have

We should have gone for Mahrez when we sold Ox and it was evident we wouldn't be using Theo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Kolasinac definitely out for this game.

Koscielny has 30% chance to play

Ozil having a late fitness test

With ongoing injuries to Ramsey, Giroud and Monreal

That leaves us with Chambers, Mertesacker, Mustafi and Holding for defence.

Wonder will Wenger go for a back 2 or 3 tomorrow.

5star02707 wrote: »
    Kolasinac definitely out for this game.

Koscielny has 30% chance to play

Ozil having a late fitness test

With ongoing injuries to Ramsey, Giroud and Monreal

That leaves us with Chambers, Mertesacker, Mustafi and Holding for defence.

Wonder will Wenger go for a back 2 or 3 tomorrow.
    Won't matter in the greater scheme of things as the match is of little significance now. City have the league won a long time ago.

https://twitter.com/skysports_bryan/status/948193101742567424

Wenger charged following comments to and about Referee Mike Dean. He will probably get a sizeable touchline ban from the FA now. As his previous with Anthony Taylor last season will definitely be considered too.

Would be nice if Mike Dean could also be called to explain his poor refereeing in general.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Wenger charged following comments to and about Referee Mike Dean. He will probably get a sizeable touchline ban from the FA now. As his previous with Anthony Taylor last season will definitely be considered too.

Would be nice if Mike Dean could also be called to explain his poor refereeing in general.

Of all the things that I could criticise Wenger over, this just isn't one of those times. Fully support him (or anyone) tearing Mike Dean a new one.

Good to see him showing a bit of balls at last. Could have had that conversation with Dean years ago but better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

At least not having Wenger on the sideline doesn’t make a difference really.

What’s the FAs formal response to Deans officiating. Oh yeah that’s right.....

CatInABox wrote: »
    Of all the things that I could criticise Wenger over, this just isn't one of those times. Fully support him (or anyone) tearing Mike Dean a new one.
    Good to see him showing a bit of balls at last. Could have had that conversation with Dean years ago but better late than never.

Yeah fully agree with Wenger on this one. Well worth taking a long term ban over this and giving Mike Dean a piece of his mind. Questioning his integrity is my favourite accusation there. Well done Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not gonna happen, they’ve already backed Dean by saying “From the angle he saw it blah, blah, blah”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dropping in to say the FA will always protect the officials, sometimes they demote them to the Championship for a weekend but theyre never held accountable.

Now, I'm not saying that a ref should come out and justify his decisions to the media or the public but the FA and head of referees have to have some system in place that if a ref is making error after error or not applying the laws consistently across a base sample of games, they have to be dressed down in private and if it continues, struck off.

There is a raft of terrible refs in the league and Dean isnt even the worst of them, which is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads have the 1st podcast of the new year coming up tomorrow night , Focus will be on the calender year of 2017 in football mostly Arsenal , also hopes and thoughts for the season , I'll be joined by my buddy Jamie too (the United lad) so would appreciate a few questions

Also those of you that listened to my last one and subsequent episodes did you find any difference in quality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Good piece on sky today.

http://www.skysports.com/share/11193248

looks like our first signing of the January transfer window will be a 20 year old Greek defender Mavropanos recommended by our new chief scout Mislintat.

Expected to go to Werder Bremen on loan

omega man wrote: »

very harsh on Lacazette. He always looks very sharp around the box. He needs more service and to be able to play 90 minutes occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »
    very harsh on Lacazette. He always looks very sharp around the box. He needs more service and to be able to play 90 minutes occasionally.
    I think the opinion about Giroud scoring the same amount of goals, is probably accurate tho. Lacazette has looked ok, and he hasn't really gotten a proper run yet to really judge him on, but based on what we've seen so far, he isn't that much better than Giroud.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think the opinion about Giroud scoring the same amount of goals, is probably accurate tho. Lacazette has looked ok, and he hasn't really gotten a proper run yet to really judge him on, but based on what we've seen so far, he isn't that much better than Giroud.

he's very different to Giroud. I like Giroud a lot but Laca strikes me as being much more clinical in front of goal. They'd probably work really well together not that that is likely to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Lacazette has 2 goals less than Morata. He has played circa half a season in the PL. People need to give him time.

Doesn't Giroud start ahead of Laca in the French Team?
    Still rather Laca myself though.He needs 90 mins more often,id say he'd get a few more goals in the last 10 mins of matches with opposition defenders tiring.

omega man wrote: »

Very accurate regarding the false promises. Arsenal made money in the last transfer window I believe and shure isn't that what it's all about.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement