Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Basil3 wrote: »
    I dunno. I actually think we are nowhere near clinical enough going forward.

Going forward we were good, finishing was poor, laca could have had 2

He was ok. Unlucky not to score in the first half.
    Has a lot more ability than the two W's anyway.

He is being used the same way as Giroud though which is simply criminal. Imagine using Ian Wright in this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

no one can argue that we're boring after that.

Delighted with Jack. Another motm contender and another 90 minutes under the belt. Looks strong and I'm not wincing everytime he's tackled (or tackles)

Impressed with AMN too apart from Chelsea's second.

Happy for Bellerin. Tough season for him but he gave it all tonight.

Defence were all over the place at times. Why didn't Wenger rest Kos against WBA. Then only one of Holding of Chambers would have had to play tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://archive.org/details/BPZoneEpisode10

Well that was ****ing painful to watch at times , I mean like yeah it was exciting but christ we did our best to **** it away several times :/

Anyway above is the 10th episode of the podcast my buddy Jamie joined me and I'm going to have more guests on in future have 3 lined up already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Great going forward minus the final third but again shocking defence. Whoever we put in defence seems to be clueless. Marquee defender please if possible. Great game, only 3 points separate 2nd - 4th

greendom wrote: »
    no one can argue that we're boring after that.

Delighted with Jack. Another motm contender and another 90 minutes under the belt. Looks strong and I'm not wincing everytime he's tackled (or tackles)

Impressed with AMN too apart from Chelsea's second.

Happy for Bellerin. Tough season for him but he gave it all tonight.

Defence were all over the place at times. Why didn't Wenger rest Kos against WBA. Then only one of Holding of Chambers would have had to play tonight.

Ah now we dont play like that every game. Most of time we have this incredibly slow build up play which gives every advantage for the opposition defence. Tonight to be fair our attack was outstanding. Jack gives us a huge dimension, Ozil was unplayable for 60 minutes.

Soups123 wrote: »
    How we fell apart after there goal is everything that is wrong with this squad. We never take offence and fight we just accept and feel sorry

Offensively we have been excellent against the top teams without the balls to go and destroy them.

We did start playing again when we went 2 - 1 down. What does that say about the team psychologically?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Two great goals tonight. The Hazard penalty was a shocker, was a clear dive, **** all contact. Hopefully he will get a retrospective ban, but don’t see that happening.

As for the defense tonight, it’s absolutely poison. If Morata has his shooting boots on tonight, it would have been ugly.

This team can play excellent football at times, but it’s fundamentally flawed. The backline needs to be sorted, they can’t even defend punts over the top.

5star02707 wrote: »
    Great going forward minus the final third but again shocking defence. Whoever we put in defence seems to be clueless. Marquee defender please if possible. Great game, only 3 points separate 2nd - 4th

Are managers now obsessed with this 'lovely footballer that can play from the back' bs? Id prefer a Gary Cahill type to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Defense as expected all over the shop, but Xhaka needs replacing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We did start playing again when we went 2 - 1 down. What does that say about the team psychologically?

We are weak. Picking up the game when there is nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Bit cringe Sky interviewing Bellerin and Hazard together

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Are you not entertained?

Not great for the tickers for us more ‘mature’ gooners is it!

wonga77 wrote: »

NBC done same thing. Perhaps its the same interviewer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

wonga77 wrote: »

Think they done it after the Brighton Bournemouth game aswell

• Advertisement

Ah now we dont play like that every game. Most of time we have this incredibly slow build up play which gives every advantage for the opposition defence. Tonight to be fair our attack was outstanding. Jack gives us a huge dimension, Ozil was unplayable for 60 minutes.

Give us decent opposition and we look excellent going forward. The recent games against Pool, United and tonight are a case in point.

We were awful against WBA but a lot of that was down to playing 2 games in 3 days and the opposition having 2 more days recovery time.
    Wenger should really have rotated more for that game

Defense as expected all over the shop, but Xhaka needs replacing too.

Surely there is a coach at the club that encourages the defence to communicate?? Or highlights where they are going wrong? We've seen this type of game too many times now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Bellerin at fault for 2nd goal. he didn't follow his man.

Don't blame him at all for the peno. That was just a ridiculous decision and Hazzzard should be booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Bellerin atoning for his error at the end but yeah that;s it for tonight. Night guys ;)

We are weak. Picking up the game when there is nothing to lose.

dies a 'weak'team keep fighting till the 92nd minute? Don't ghink thats the explanation

• Advertisement

dies a 'weak'team keep fighting till the 92nd minute? Don't ghink thats the explanation

That wasn't fight? We fell apart after going 1-1 lost all character and allowed them take the game.

It's not the first time it's regular, we then go 2-1 down and we think fcuk it nothing to lose let's have a go again. Having a go and some fight at 1-1 you have a chance to win the game.

Anyone who plays football knows it's easier to play when you feel like there is nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I’m sorry, I actually think that is a penalty. I won’t be popular with that, but it’s my opinion. Overall, delighted to grab the draw, felt we deserved that at least. Courtois kept them in it at times. Chambers is not good enough at this level, and I really feel that Xhaka is being badly coached as I think he has raw natural talent. Ozil was sublime and delighted for Jack too. Overall, a bit meh, delighted with our attack and desire tonight. 2 great goals, plenty to be happy and pee’d off with at the same time. Great game to watch for the neutral I’m sure!

That wasn't fight? We fell apart after going 1-1 lost all character and allowed them take the game.

It's not the first time it's regular, we then go 2-1 down and we think fcuk it nothing to lose let's have a go again. Having a go and some fight at 1-1 you have a chance to win the game.

Anyone who plays football knows it's easier to play when you feel like there is nothing to lose
    I think that's human nature not weakness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Think people are forgetting that's makeshift defence out there tonight.

Wenger needs to pick a formation and stick with it.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I’m sorry, I actually think that is a penalty. I won’t be popular with that, but it’s my opinion. Overall, delighted to grab the draw, felt we deserved that at least. Courtois kept them in it at times. Chambers is not good enough at this level, and I really feel that Xhaka is being badly coached as I think he has raw natural talent. Ozil was sublime and delighted for Jack too. Overall, a bit meh, delighted with our attack and desire tonight. 2 great goals, plenty to be happy and pee’d off with at the same time. Great game to watch for the neutral I’m sure!

He's very good at certain things but he's got terrible feet in tight situations and panic's when he's closed down, he also doesn't have a natural defensive instinct for that position.

And i think there's better options for the other position in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Remarkable.

What about when it's nil all? How do you go ahead? Remember, no fighting.

I think that's human nature not weakness

That's human nature to react like that but at a professional level you coach and prepare your team to break the norm, you sign players with character

Like big teams do

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Remarkable.

What about when it's nil all? How do you go ahead? Remember, no fighting.

Listen to Wenger he said hit himself. We went into 'mental shock' how many times have we said that?

There's nothing remarkable in it.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Think people are forgetting that's makeshift defence out there tonight.

Yeah it was a makeshift defence alright, but how does Morata get put through clean on goal twice from 50+ yard punts down the pitch in the one match? That’s standard stuff, regardless of the personnel.

• Advertisement

Why?

Because a defence needs stability and time to gel.

Yeah it was a makeshift defence alright, but how does Morata get put through clean on goal twice from 50+ yard punts down the pitch in the one match? That’s standard stuff, regardless of the personnel.

I'll tell you why, because Holding is at best a mid championship level defender, Chambers probably the same from there performances and they are playing against top class opposition

We've see ourselves in this predicament time and time again playing 3/4 players in a game way beyond there level

Because a defence needs stability and time to gel.

I don't think there's a huge difference between when we play 4 at the back or 3/5. The lack of stability in personnel is mainly due to injuries.

I'll tell you why, because Holding is at best a mid championship level defender, Chambers probably the same from there performances and they are playing against top class opposition

We've see ourselves in this predicament time and time again playing 3/4 players in a game way beyond there level

I think Holding has bags of potential with the right coaching. Still very young. The culture within the club is rotten with regards defending.

I don't think there's a huge difference between when we play 4 at the back or 3/5. The lack of stability in personnel is mainly due to injuries.

The 2 formations are used to plug different holes against different opposition because the midfield doesn't work.

Wenger would always play 4 at the back if he could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No matter which defensive formation we use or who's in it we are a clusterfcuk and have been for years. We need a good strong no-nonsense CB to bark out the orders and encouragement to the others, like Adams used to do. This is again a matter of urgency. It has not been addressed and probably won't be but surely we can all see the problems.

On tonight's game I didn't expect to get a point from it and I was delighted with the effort but you could always drive a coach and four through our defence. You would need to be 3 or 4 up to even begin thinking of winning.

When you look at our players involved tonight and ask yourself if we put them up for sale who would

Cech (mid table teams)
    Bellerin (he's off form but top teams would take and coach him)
    Holding (bottom 5 team or championship)
    Chambers (same as above)
    Mustafi (top 10 team)
    Niles (loan to Prem mid to bottom team)
    Xhaka (mid table team)
    Wilshire (mid table team or above for English count)
    Sanchez Ozil Laca (top 4)
    Welbeck (mid to bottom)
    Walcott (mid to bottom)

Bench
    Mert (nobody)
    Coq (bottom 10)
    Iwobi (bottom to champ)
    Elneny (mid Prem)

This is the team we are trying to win the league with or compete with top 4. Look how many fall into low tier category

Losing players like Kos and Ramsey are better quality but not top level.

I think Holding has bags of potential with the right coaching. Still very young. The culture within the club is rotten with regards defending.

Agree but he should develop on loan not in games against Chelsea!

Agree but he should develop on loan not in games against Chelsea!

Agree with that too. I think the way the defence is setup would harm any player though. Look at Mustafi and Kosc for example. Full internationals. Suicidal stuff.

• Advertisement

Agree with that too. I think the way the defence is setup would harm any player though. Look at Mustafi and Kosc for example. Full internationals. Suicidal stuff.

It's hard to understand what our approach is or in what way they are being coached. I think it needs to be more disciplined across the team but that comes at a cost to attack and Wenger won't do that!

It really needs a new manager with a new philosophy

It's hard to understand what our approach is or in what way they are being coached. I think it needs to be more disciplined across the team but that comes at a cost to attack and Wenger won't do that!

It really needs a new manager with a new philosophy

So what are you saying, Wenger should go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

When you look at our players involved tonight and ask yourself if we put them up for sale who would

Cech (mid table teams)
    Bellerin (he's off form but top teams would take and coach him)
    Holding (bottom 5 team or championship)
    Chambers (same as above)
    Mustafi (top 10 team)
    Niles (loan to Prem mid to bottom team)
    Xhaka (mid table team)
    Wilshire (mid table team or above for English count)
    Sanchez Ozil Laca (top 4)
    Welbeck (mid to bottom)
    Walcott (mid to bottom)

Bench
    Mert (nobody)
    Coq (bottom 10)
    Iwobi (bottom to champ)
    Elneny (mid Prem)

This is the team we are trying to win the league with or compete with top 4. Look how many fall into low tier category

Losing players like Kos and Ramsey are better quality but not top level.

Disagree with a lot of the ratings here but even if I agreed with them, what would that prove? All that argument seems to say is that Wenger is the best manager in the league because we are still 6th despite all out players being ****?

farna_boy wrote: »
    Disagree with a lot of the ratings here but even if I agreed with them, what would that prove? All that argument seems to say is that Wenger is the best manager in the league because we are still 6th despite all out players being ****?

It's just my opinion happy to see yours. I think we achieve what is expected with that top 6, the front 3 is exceptiona and compensates a lot. I wasn't having a pop at Wenger just calling out the quality of the team

So what are you saying, Wenger should go?

Now now Arne don't start.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

In fairness lads...i thought it was a decent performance against a top team with 2 cb who are still only learning their trade.
    Yes some calamitous mistakes(surprise suprise)with the 1 on 1,S but all in all it wasn't too bad.Could be a load better but in fairness we held our own against Pool City Utd and Chelsea this season.

Still far from good enough overall imho but tonight was a good game.we played well and deserved the draw or better.

• Advertisement

In fairness lads...i thought it was a decent performance against a top team with 2 cb who are still only learning their trade.
    Yes some calamitous mistakes(surprise suprise)with the 1 on 1,S but all in all it wasn't too bad.Could be a load better but in fairness we held our own against Pool City Utd and Chelsea this season.

Still far from good enough overall imho but tonight was a good game.we played well and deserved the draw or better.

Not forgetting spanking spurs.

Thats the frustrating thing about this team, they have it in them if they want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It was a good performance and they fought.
    That does not take in the poor finishing of Morata who could have had 3 or 4. If he had we would be complaining about the poor defence again. The fact is that we allowed them those missed chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Morata did miss a few but so did Lacazette, mind you I think if that Chelsea team had Costa/Drogba up front then they would have been out of sight.

Can't forget though that Chelsea had a full strength team available while we were missing 4 starters (Kos, Kol, Monreal and Ramsey) and Giroud off the bench.

I'm wondering why people can't fathom that we would give up a lot of easy chances with this makeshift back 5? Surely thats inevitable against a decent side when you're down to the bare bones at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

All in all on reflection, quite happy with that result, we need to start performing on the road now and maintaining consistent displays in midfield. Need some reinforcements in the January window also.. if we got De Vrji on a cheap fee think this would be shrewd business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Barcelona amongst a host of top clubs looking for De Vrji. We wouldn't be the most appealing at the moment so that would surely be a non runner

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement