Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I think Courtois' super saves balanced out Morata's super misses. A fair result in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

al87987 wrote: »
    Morata did miss a few but so did Lacazette, mind you I think if that Chelsea team had Costa/Drogba up front then they would have been out of sight.

Can't forget though that Chelsea had a full strength team available while we were missing 4 starters (Kos, Kol, Monreal and Ramsey) and Giroud off the bench.

I'm wondering why people can't fathom that we would give up a lot of easy chances with this makeshift back 5? Surely thats inevitable against a decent side when you're down to the bare bones at the back.

Probably because we do it even when we have a fully fit defence.

[/B]
    Probably because we do it even when we have a fully fit defence.

Our defence is a funny thing. I was comparing Wenger Vs Ferguson after their 810 matches or whatever. Our defence only conceded about 10% more over that time. It worked out to something like 38 per season to 34/35. Nowhere near as significant as I thought it would be, especially considering we get hockeyed by 4/5 goals in one match per season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Basil3 wrote: »
    Our defence is a funny thing. I was comparing Wenger Vs Ferguson after their 810 matches or whatever. Our defence only conceded about 10% more over that time. It worked out to something like 38 per season to 34/35. Nowhere near as significant as I thought it would be, especially considering we get hockeyed by 4/5 goals in one match per season.

Modern successful football is built around solid defences now though, different eras aren't really comparable.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Modern successful football is built around solid defences now though, different eras aren't really comparable.

Really? I'd say the complete opposite. How many top teams in world football are identified by their solid defence, rather than their amazing attacking players?

Really? I'd say the complete opposite. How many top teams in world football are identified by their solid defence, rather than their amazing attacking players?
    Good keeper, good defenders and you have a great start when building a team.

Disagree. All the top teams in world football, have solid defences, with the base of it all being a world class goalkeeper. Sadly, we have neither. The really top teams have the genuine world class attackers too. We were very close to that perfect balance on 03/04 and have moved further away, year on year since. All my opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Defences these days are nowhere near 20 years ago. You'd struggle to name 10 truly top class centre halves now, I could name 10 Italians alone from the 90s.

• Advertisement

Defences these days are nowhere near 20 years ago. You'd struggle to name 10 truly top class centre halves now, I could name 10 Italians alone from the 90s.

Again, I disagree. You could name 50 brilliant centre half defenders back in the day, because the game was a lot slower then and very little intricate passing goals and attacks took place. Brazil 1970's were the closest to the modern day Barca, Arsenal '03 etc. They blew teams and defenders away! Yet again, you cannot compare different eras as football has changed every year since. Unlike our manager.

Again, I disagree. You could name 50 brilliant centre half defenders back in the day, because the game was a lot slower then and very little intricate passing goals and attacks took place. Brazil 1970's were the closest to the modern day Barca, Arsenal '03 etc. They blew teams and defenders away! Yet again, you cannot compare different eras as football has changed every year since. Unlike our manager.

So what are you classifying as modern football? Are you saying in the last 10 years, defence has become much more important, and that's why Wenger has struggled because he hasn't adapted?

So what are you classifying as modern football? Are you saying in the last 10 years, defence has become much more important, and that's why Wenger has struggled because he hasn't adapted?

Well, let's be honest, he hasn't exactly excelled at defender development apart from Cashley? He bought Sol Campbell and the original back 4 were mostly George's lads. Since then, we've been pretty crap at the back. Jens Lehman was the last WC keeper we've had. We've gone to ****e since he finished really. So, yes. He hasn't had a decent defence and world class GKeeper in about 10/12 years. Do you disagree?? If you do, then I disagree with you fundamentally!

Well, let's be honest, he hasn't exactly excelled at defender development apart from Cashley? He bought Sol Campbell and the original back 4 were mostly George's lads. Since then, we've been pretty crap at the back. Jens Lehman was the last WC keeper we've had. We've gone to ****e since he finished really. So, yes. He hasn't had a decent defence and world class GKeeper in about 10/12 years. Do you disagree?? If you do, then I disagree with you fundamentally!

I think you're moving the goalposts. You're trying to get me to disagree with an entirely different point.

I think you're moving the goalposts. You're trying to get me to disagree with an entirely different point.

I'm absolutely not. I've said from the start, the game has changed over time.

I'm absolutely not. I've said from the start, the game has changed over time.

So you're saying successful modern football is based more around a solid defence than it was 10 years ago?

So you're saying successful modern football is based more around a solid defence than it was 10 years ago?

Again, you're trying to put words in my mouth! No. The games has changed year on year, our manager hasn't. Wenger has done nothing to our defence apart from make us weaker. Yes, we attack fantastic (at times) but he hasn't a clue how to set up a team defensively! Not one iota! The best teams of the modern era, set up with a great defence and GKeeper. As I said, we have neither! Do you understand now? Again, my own opinion.

Again, you're trying to put words in my mouth! No. The games has changed year on year, our manager hasn't. Wenger has done nothing to our defence apart from make us weaker. Yes, we attack fantastic (at times) but he hasn't a clue how to set up a team defensively! Not one iota! The best teams of the modern era, set up with a great defence and GKeeper. As I said, we have neither! Do you understand now? Again, my own opinion.

I'm just trying to get you to clarify what this modern successful football is that is based around solid defence. I now understand you're just saying that a good defence is important in football, and ours isn't the best.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We got that proven and experienced defender anyway lads like we all wished for:
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/konstantinos-mavropanos-joins-club

Good luck to him, he will need all the luck he can get with our "defensive" coaches.

• Advertisement

No harm buying "prospects" but we need experienced defenders.
    Anyone confident of Wenger buying anyone during this window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Give it over he bought and he assembled the invincibles defence.

Lauren, toure, campbell, Cole.

I hate this lie spouted over and over again that he only inherited a good defence.

We actually had one of the best defence records only 3 years ago for a good while am I right in thinking?

Yep 2015 it was.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/08/surprise-stat-shows-arsenal-have-best-defensive-record-in-2015-5428532/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Give it over
    Don’t get aggressive with me mr keyboard warrior

I’m entitled to my opinion, and I haven’t tried to ram it down your throat. Ignore if you like but don’t take that tone with me please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Barkley going to Chelsea for £15m. We put a bid in for him last summer supposedly.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42574404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I’m entitled to my opinion, and I haven’t tried to ram it down your throat. Ignore if you like but don’t take that tone with me please

Fair enough, apologies.

• Advertisement

No harm buying "prospects" but we need experienced defenders.
    Anyone confident of Wenger buying anyone during this window?

At times even Mustafi looks like a rookie. No communication with the centre backs at all. God help the poor young lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

his fundamental point is correct though. The Invincibles defence was brilliant and it wasn't inherited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

FA Cup weekend is here. Surely something we can all get behind as we've only lost in the competition once February 2013.

That run has included victories over all of the rest of the top six.

Pop quiz hotshots, who are the two teams who knocked us out in Feb 13 and 2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Blackburn & Watford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Correct.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    his fundamental point is correct though. The Invincibles defence was brilliant and it wasn't inherited

So what has happened since?

3 match ban for Wenger

3 match ban for Wenger
    Authority always backs authority.
    Hope he gave them hell. Prats.
    Did Dean get any punishment for his stupidity?

So what has happened since?

that wasn't the point I was making. Just because defences since haven't been at that level you can't minimise his achievement with that one or say it was down to a previous manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

"his language and behaviour was abusive, improper and questioned the integrity of the match referee".

Mike Deans integrity should always be questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How can one question something that doesn't even exist?

3 match ban for Wenger

Ha! F*ck that.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

For once I'm backing Wenger. Dean is a tool and deserves whatever abuse Wenger threw his way.

Well done Wenger, somebody had to have a go at that Dean tool. Maybe more coming his way after the Chelsea penalty decision, he had a go at the ref for that too.

Regarding the invincible defence, yes he assembled that. But that was 14 years ago. His defences since have been dwindling. I actually forgot about them being all his work.

One good thing about today is that we're unlikely to get Dean again. The FA will be reluctant to have him cause any more contraversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

One good thing about today is that we're unlikely to get Dean again. The FA will be reluctant to have him cause any more contraversy.

Or they give Dean the remainder of our PL games to spite us!

I remember Kilbane talking about refs on Off The Ball a while back.

I think he singled out Deanas being the only one he really didn't like, cos he speaks to players like an absolute rude arrogant tool.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I remember Kilbane talking about refs on Off The Ball a while back.

I think he singled out Deanas being the only one he really didn't like, cos he speaks to players like an absolute rude arrogant tool.
    Yes I remember that too.
    But Dean even looks like a wee arrogant *****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Mahrez to Liverpool is the one that is gonna piss me right off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

FixitFelix wrote: »

They’ll have to pay stupid money for him though or wait until the summer. Clubs know they’re sitting on a pile of cash waiting to be milked. I’m actually shocked they let Coutinho go mid season.

Hope they don’t eye up Ozil or Sanchez in the meantime.

omega man wrote: »
    They’ll have to pay stupid money for him though or wait until the summer. Clubs know they’re sitting on a pile of cash waiting to be milked. I’m actually shocked they let Coutinho go mid season.

Hope they don’t eye up Ozil or Sanchez in the meantime.

Think if either of those players are leaving they'll aim higher than liverpool

FixitFelix wrote: »

this has been refuted. Not happening, yet anyway!

greendom wrote: »
    this has been refuted. Not happening, yet anyway!

Thank ****, i really must stop drinking and going on Twitter:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ospina, debuchy, mert, holding, Nelson, willock, elneny, Maitland niles, Walcott, iwobi, welbeck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ospina, debuchy, mert, holding, Nelson, willock, elneny, Maitland niles, Walcott, iwobi, welbeck

Very risky team for an away cup game but after the run of games it makes sense to rest as many as he has.

Forest aren't in great shapes but getting up for a Cup game V Arsenal should be a given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement