Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

monkey9 wrote: »
    I know i'm not saying anything you lads don't already know, but as an outsider looking in, Arsenal just look lost these days. Even the things that Wenger clung onto the last few years, i.e Champions League football and FA Cup wins aren't there anymore so he literally has nothing to offer.

There isn't even that sense anymore of the 'be careful what you wish for' arguement. What must be frustrating is that Arsenal are capable of attracting world class managers, Guardiola and Arsenal would have been a perfect fit.

I'm not doubting Wenger's love for the club, but he should really prove that by moving upstairs at the end of the season and overseeing the transition of Arsenal's first manager in over twenty years.

He is tarnishing his legacy ever so slightly. He's a great of the club and there should be a statue of him put outside the Emirates, but this is the longest of long goodbyes.

I disagree here where i wouldnt have at one time. I think it should be a swift clean break. Unfair on a new man trying to implement a new structure when the old manager is lurking in the background but in saying that, unlike the case with Moyes taking the reins from Ferguson, the new man wont have many standards to better or at least recent standards. I think Wenger has really damaged his legacy. 14 years since Arsenal last won the league (going on 15), No longer a presence in the Champions league, Farcical defending, Players that are half arsed on far too many occasions

Herbert Chapman realised that if you become stale you become irrelevant so was continuously thinking of ways of improving Arsenals game. Wenger has his way and wont change. The club is rewarding failure and rewarding it handsomely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wenger on No Hunger in Paradise now on BT 2 if anyone's interested

Should be the new club motto :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

In many clubs he'd be fcku** out with no place on the Board. But not at Arsenal. And it would have happened years ago.

Our beloved owner Silent Stan was spotted last night stuffing his face full of chicken watching his other investment the LA Rams getting beaten without a care in the world.
    Leaving control of the good ship Arsenal to Gazidis and Wenger,while he sat in his directors box counting all the money those 2 clowns are making him.

Im not raging at this result alone,Im fcuking raging at the shambles this club has become and watching in amazement that its getting worse year on year.
    We are not even staying still anymore,we are going rapidly backwards with these 3 donkeys at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

well well well.

• In many clubs he'd be fcku** out with no place on the Board. But not at Arsenal. And it would have happened years ago.

This is it really. Until Arsenal (owners) are financially impacted then it doesn't matter to them.
    I honestly do see him sacked in the summer though as I cannot see Arsenal in the top 4 this year and you will be knocked out of the Europa league.
    Take it this way. It has to get worse to get better.
    If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be hurting but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. I should know, I sat through and watched / went to nearly every one of Moyes games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Putting Wenger on the board would be a master stroke by Stan, it would allow him hire another yes man willing to accept mediocrity and have Wenger in there as someone for fans to aim frustration at

Wenger's reputation is done for

Wenger's reputation is done for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

recording it. not in the mood to watch at the moment surprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That team selection from the delusional Wenger was very strange. Is he going all out for 4th? Did he have a senior moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Season over.

Well i suppose if we are going to be thrashed im glad its by the likes of Forest. A decent little club who have fallen on some very tough times since Cloughie left. 27 managers in 25 years :eek: An astonishing stat.

Arsenal arguably owe their existence to this club. When the club was first formed, two former players wrote to Forest asking for help with playing kit and Forest duly obliged and sent them on a full set of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

DS9WS37X4AEoA56.jpg

No words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What the **** does Steve Bould be showing our defenders? We seem incapable of defending to even Sunday league standard. Absolute joke of a club from top to bottom.

DS9WS37X4AEoA56.jpg

No words.

Dear jesus christ almighty.

DS9WS37X4AEoA56.jpg

No words.

I said this earlier, it's so bad it's laughable

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What the **** does Steve Bould be showing our defenders? We seem incapable of defending to even Sunday league standard. Absolute joke of a club from top to bottom.

Why do we insist on playing this insane high line? It leaves us so fúckin vulnerable. If we had Paul Mcgrath with bad knees we would play a high line. Why cant we just play to the strength of the team instead of taking this one size fits all approach? Trying it once or twice would be one thing but we are at this nonsense for years now.

Dear jesus christ almighty.

Keown and Jenas picked up on this at half time. Its shocking. Shame on Ospina too for organising the wall in such shoddy fashion. And he was pathetic for those two penalties. We might have been harsh singling out Cech.

• Advertisement

Why do we insist on playing this insane high line? It leaves us so fúckin vulnerable. If we had Paul Mcgrath with bad knees we would play a high line. Why cant we just play to the strength of the team instead of taking this one size fits all approach? Trying it once or twice would be one thing but we are at this nonsense years now.

That's the thing that's worst - we have done the sit deep and counter thing once or twice, I think Man City away was the first time a few years ago. It was great. Did he keep it up? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's been happening for a long time now. Stevie Wonder coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Don't give a fcuk about the Cup.
    Wenger only uses it to hang on to power anyway.

BUT what about the players today?? Useless and not ONE of them fit to wear the shirt. A Rice Crispy team, snap, crackle and pop. Useless bunch.

Tayto always respect your view but I really care for the FA cup. I dont care for the league/milk/Carabao cup but the FA is Arsenals. She wore the yellow ribbon in the merry month of May. I was at the 78, 79 and 80 finals and after 47 years support tonight really upset me. To have no senior players on the bench showed a lack of respect to the competition and to Forest. I met Brian Clough once amd if Wenger had an ounce of his passion we'd be flying.

It's been happening for a long time now. Stevie Wonder coaching.

That's a discredit to Steve even he would see that

Tayto always respect your view but I really care for the FA cup. I dont care for the league/milk/Carabao cup but the FA is Arsenals. She wore the yellow ribbon in the merry month of May. I was at the 78, 79 and 80 finals and after 47 years support tonight really upset me. To have no senior players on the bench showed a lack of respect to the competition and to Forest. I met Brian Clough once amd if Wenger had an ounce of his passion we'd be flying.
    Appreciate that but I just think Wenger survived at the club a lot longer than he should have done because we won it regularly.
    For me the league should always be the prime aim and many fans backed Wenger because of the Cup wins.

That's the thing that's worst - we have done the sit deep and counter thing once or twice, I think Man City away was the first time a few years ago. It was great. Did he keep it up? No.
    You can't play a high line with Mert in the defence. By the time he turns it's half-time.

• Advertisement

You can't play a high line with Mert in the defence. By the time he turns it's half-time.

Ive seen milk turn quicker than Metresacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United fan here but I come in peace. Isn't the word out of the club that no matter what the likes of Bould does it's over ridden by Wenger? I remember it being discussed on Newstalk.Bould will shout and roar and train defenders to defend yet Wenger wants them to express themselves and has no truck in ordering them around in the way Conte,Jose or even Ferguson did.As talented as any given player is,they still need coaching.

Every so often we blitz a team and its the most frustrating thing about following this club at the moment. Its almost like Jim Bowen on Bullseye, 'Here is what you could have won' sort of thing. We then revert to type almost as if we are afraid we will end up like Icarus if we fly too close to the sun

I think the root of our frustration lies with the fact that we all know we could be much much more if we got the bit between the teeth.

United fan here but I come in peace. Isn't the word out of the club that no matter what the likes of Bould does it's over ridden by Wenger? I remember it being discussed on Newstalk.Bould will shout and roar and train defenders to defend yet Wenger wants them to express themselves and has no truck in ordering them around in the way Conte,Jose or even Ferguson did.As talented as any given player is,they still need coaching.

You would like to think that Steve Bould who played in one of the greatest defensive setups in English football history would know in his heart of hearts that this is bulls*it but i suppose he does respect and feels he owes Wenger who elongated his career somewhat.

Wenger it seems is no some sort of one man mission to evolve football into a basketball type of game where huge scores are inevitable on each side. No one is paying attention though it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I'm actually lost for words looking at that photo. You wouldn't see that at any lower level anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

We’ve conceded 28 consecutive pens. Last one saved by Fabianski, March 2014. Crazy stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

The worst part of today is not the loss or the abject performances it’s the fact that I’ve realized just how much I have fallen out of love with Arsenal in the last few years

wawaman wrote: »
    The worst part of today is not the loss or the abject performances it’s the fact that I’ve realized just how much I have fallen out of love with Arsenal in the last few years
    It also went to show how useless Wellbeck, Iwobi and Walcott actually are.
    They should have been out to prove their worth today, those three especially.
    They wouldn't even be good enough for the Championship.

omega man wrote: »
    We’ve conceded 28 consecutive pens. Last one saved by Fabianski, March 2014. Crazy stat.
    Swear there were a few misses in that? No saves though, I believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

It's grand though, we'll read all about it in his book some day!

Alex Iwobi offers this side absolutely zero. Another chancer this lad is just like Walcott the Ox and Welbeck is fast becoming another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I was watching this in the pub earlier and I was angry at how poor we've become, I'm watching extended highlights at home now and my opinion hasn't changed, if anything...worse. Wenger is utter utter poison. I mean...how is he a manager at Arsenal FC let alone a club in ye top two divisions of any country. He's utterly clueless, by far the worst manager in the top division in England right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

And mertesacker should never be let wear the jersey again. He's BRUTAL.

Anger. Dismay. Just unbelievable. Gtfo our club you charlatan Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Alex Iwobi offers this side absolutely zero. Another chancer this lad is

Been saying this for awhile now. Bluffer of the highest order. He has a style to him but he has nothing else apart from a well known uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Clough's ending at Forest seems similar to how Wenger's is going at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

disillusioned with Arsenal is all I've to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I dunno, pretty crap really to be honest. When I saw the first Forest goal the first thing that came into my mind was why was nobody marking him - then seeing those pictures, Jesus Christ. The second goal annoys me nearly as much. It was a great hit, no doubt, but it didn't happen all that quickly. The Forest player seemed to be given so much time and space as he set himself up - the Arsenal defense just stood there and admired him; somebody should be getting at least a little tighter to him to not make it that easy. That really is basic stuff.

I know emotions are always running high around here after a bad result. But to be honest I'm not really that bothered about Arsenal this year - I still watch the games whenever I can - but I don't take it as a personal insult whenever they lose. I find it hard this year to really care - nothing is really going to change until Wenger decides to go, so how can I get fully invested for another assault on fourth place? And even if he does go the same ownership model is still in place and they've shown no real solid ambition, apart from ambition for more cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm struggling to recall though a time where Arsenal did that intentionally. Even against that Man City side it felt more like a consequence of City controlling and dictating the play rather than Arsenal willingly reinforcing themselves in a shell.

Years ago Wenger wrote a blog for Eurosport about the whole idea of efficacy, pragmatism and philosophy in a sport. His point back then was how can you wish for other great teams and great players to play a certain style and philosophy if you don't first try be part of the world that embellishes and nurtures that philosophy? He believes in winning but above all he is mad about the development of the sport. I find it difficult to reconcile that with the idea that he would ever intentionally try to concede the initiative to an opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm struggling to recall though a time where Arsenal did that intentionally. Even against that Man City side it felt more like a consequence of City controlling and dictating the play rather than Arsenal willingly reinforcing themselves in a shell.

Years ago Wenger wrote a blog for Eurosport about the whole idea of efficacy, pragmatism and philosophy in a sport. His point back then was how can you wish for other great teams and great players to play a certain style and philosophy if you don't first try be part of the world that embellishes and nurtures that philosophy? He believes in winning but above all he is mad about the development of the sport. I find it difficult to reconcile that with the idea that he would ever intentionally try to concede the initiative to an opponent.

How do Arsenal fans feel about sacrificing results and the medium term future of the club at the altar of Wenger's philosophy I wonder? Particularly when his implementation of that philosophy has ultimately failed?

And mertesacker should never be let wear the jersey again. He's BRUTAL.

Anger. Dismay. Just unbelievable. Gtfo our club you charlatan Wenger.

Tbh Holding although young was horrendous too but I'll go back to that high line which I believe would make any defence look awful

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    How do Arsenal fans feel about sacrificing results and the medium term future of the club at the altar of Wenger's philosophy I wonder? Particularly when his implementation of that philosophy has ultimately failed?

Wenger's philosophy is deeply flawed. It's no secret that fans have seen through this years ago. I do believe that beauty and results can fuse though. Man City are a case in point

derossi wrote: »
    It's grand though, we'll read all about it in his book some day!

He never takes the blame for anything. It will be everyone and everything's fault bar Wenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Wenger's philosophy is deeply flawed. It's no secret that fans have seen through this years ago. I do believe that beauty and results can fuse though. Man City are a case in point

Arsenal in 03/04 are a case in point,Wengers philosophy was fine then.
    Times change and it looks like the old man is set in his ways.
    Old dog new tricks yada yada yada.

Or as much as a has been that Wenger is maybe its the fact that City have spent multiples of what we have assembling their squad.

I think its time for Wenger to go but its really not comparing like for like,City spent what? 700m, this past couple of seasons and weve spent what maybe 200m?
    Wengers finished,finished a few seasons ago but there is no doubting the clubs ahead have had much more investment than we have(at least City,Chelsea and Utd).

Just an edit:Im not defending Wenger here,I do think another manager would get more out of this current crop than he is...He needs to go and go asap,I just think we wont be challenging for any titles until we match or at least come within a 100m of Citys investment in their squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just an edit:Im not defending Wenger here,I do think another manager would get more out of this current crop than he is...He needs to go and go asap,I just think we wont be challenging for any titles until we match or at least come within a 100m of Citys investment in their squad.

The thing is clubs like City, Chelsea and United are ruthless in the transfer market. Dropping hundreds of millions like there’s no tomorrow. If that doesn’t work then they’ll do the same again the following season. Even at Chelsea where that spending has curtailed somewhat they still have a massive pool of talent within the squad that if sold would generate the funds necessary for another splurge. Arsenal are so far behind ever being capable of such spending it just doesn’t bear thinking about. Spurs are the exception of course, but apart from playing great football and being there or thereabouts for the last few years, what have they won? Cherish the FA Cups lads, they could be all Arsenal win for a very very long time! The end is very fúcking nigh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement