Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    How do Arsenal fans feel about sacrificing results and the medium term future of the club at the altar of Wenger's philosophy I wonder? Particularly when his implementation of that philosophy has ultimately failed?

Do you really wonder that? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do you really wonder that? :pac:

Well I don't know like? The one friend I have who is an Arsenal fan seemed happy to keep him on at the end of last year. For years there seemed to be a pride in how Wenger and the club were doing things on the pitch. This thread seems to have turned the other way, but is it true of Arsenal fans as a whole still packing out the Emirates?

That 03 / 04 team would kick you off the pitch if necessary and they always had a core of real steel about them. AND they played the best football in the league at the time. Arsenal version 2017 / 18 are so far removed from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

We are apparently interested in Jonny Evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Coquelin to West Ham for 10 million. I'd take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

greendom wrote: »
    Coquelin to West Ham for 10 million. I'd take that.

Nah, see if we can get them to take Walcott too.

The 10 mil is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well I don't know like? The one friend I have who is an Arsenal fan seemed happy to keep him on at the end of last year. For years there seemed to be a pride in how Wenger and the club were doing things on the pitch. This thread seems to have turned the other way, but is it true of Arsenal fans as a whole still packing out the Emirates?

That 03 / 04 team would kick you off the pitch if necessary and they always had a core of real steel about them. AND they played the best football in the league at the time. Arsenal version 2017 / 18 are so far removed from that.

I think maybe there was a resignation that he'd stay at the end of the season, but look here - the overwhelming sentiment is that he should go at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nah, see if we can get them to take Walcott too.

The 10 mil is plenty.

We should do a Jan Bundle sale of Welbeck/Walcott/Coquelin/Chambers/Iwobi for 25 mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

arsenalexodus_xf4qp29hkvzq1u6uunkacd0oa.png?t=-702322264

There should be more in this list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

In other news, it looks like Jenkinson will be recalled to ease the defensive woes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5246371/Arsenal-end-Carl-Jenkinsons-loan-spell-Birmingham.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hooray we're saved.

New signing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In other news, it looks like Jenkinson will be recalled to ease the defensive woes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5246371/Arsenal-end-Carl-Jenkinsons-loan-spell-Birmingham.html

Ah brilliant. I'm totally heartened by this news.
    Our problems are solved.

Someone at Arsenal is seriously taking the pis*.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I got seriously annoyed, until I saw what paper are reporting it... Wouldn't give that the click it was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Sanchez on the verge of signing for city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

back after my 10 day ban fellow gooners !! :D which is a good thing cuz i would have been banned anyway over the previous result :D

pudzey101 wrote: »
    back after my 10 day ban fellow gooners !! :D which is a good thing cuz i would have been banned anyway over the previous result :D

Often i feel following Arsenal is like Homer Simpson trying to keep the swear jar empty :D A difficult task... welcome back good sir

Did anyone actually read the article about Jenkinson?

It seems some can't wait for a bit of outrage, however unjustified

Sanchez on the verge of signing for city.

It was all setup so nicely for us in 2014 having won the cup and added Sanchez to the team with Ozil. Instead the next three seasons were pretty much fúcked away and two top class players were pretty much wasted. They deserve to be among the most decorated with top trophies but instead joined Loserdom.

Id swap all three cups for one league title in the same time period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Seeing a few reports that Sanchez has agreed personal terms with City. I hope its done quick anyway and doesn't give the club the chance to say it happened too late in the window to rectify.
    Not sure if it was discussed but was reading an article about Iwobi out on the town last Saturday night. Apparently he was out with friends and was refused entry to a nightclub so instead rented out an airbnb apartment and continued the party there. So much for professionalism with an fa cup tie a few hours later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

He has 2 options

-Signs for City in January, Arsenal get 20m and he gets 15m signing bonus
    -Signs for free in July, he gets 30m signing bonus

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

5star02707 wrote: »
    He has 2 options

-Signs for City in January, Arsenal get 20m and he gets 15m signing bonus
    -Signs for free in July, he gets 30m signing bonus

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio
    So essentially he is prepared to pay 15M for a premier league medal and potentially a Champions League medal.

Does anyone think we'll spend money in the Jan transfer window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I just want him gone at this stage. He was never going to re-sign so the sooner he's moved on the better.
    I had hoped Ozil may go the other way & sign a new contract but thats looking increasingly unlikely as well so the club has a huge summer ahead.

I'm sorry to say I have zero faith that the squad will be reinforced/rebuilt adequately...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

greendom wrote: »
    Did anyone actually read the article about Jenkinson?

It seems some can't wait for a bit of outrage, however unjustified

I didn't. I didn't have to. Injured or fit he's useless and not the future for Arsenal.

I didn't. I didn't have to. Injured or fit he's useless and not the future for Arsenal.

Yes and he wasn't being brought back to reinforce the defence but to be loaned out again as he wasn't getting game time with Birmingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm sure we can find some 17 year old wonderkid somewhere

wonga77 wrote: »
    Seeing a few reports that Sanchez has agreed personal terms with City. I hope its done quick anyway and doesn't give the club the chance to say it happened too late in the window to rectify.
    Not sure if it was discussed but was reading an article about Iwobi out on the town last Saturday night. Apparently he was out with friends and was refused entry to a nightclub so instead rented out an airbnb apartment and continued the party there. So much for professionalism with an fa cup tie a few hours later

http://www.football365.com/news/wenger-iwobi-will-be-fined-after-sun-front-page

Fined me hole, he should be booted down to the reserves. In fact, he should f*ck off altogether.

That really riles me, I wouldn't do thay before a Sunday league game

DvB wrote: »
    I just want him gone at this stage. He was never going to re-sign so the sooner he's moved on the better.
    I had hoped Ozil may go the other way & sign a new contract but thats looking increasingly unlikely as well so the club has a huge summer ahead.

I'm sorry to say I have zero faith that the squad will be reinforced/rebuilt adequately...

Me too. He had many amazing moments, but I keep thinking back to the Leicester season. I don't think we lost a game while he was injured, then it fell apart when he came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Please see my avatar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I see Iwobi is to be fined for being out at 3am the night before Forest game, he's useless anyway don't think it would affect his performance one way or the other

Why do people post stuff prior to reading what’s already been posted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm sure we can find some 17 year old wonderkid somewhere

And loan him back instantly to his parent club, he might get some emirates cup action then the next season before being loaned out to a championship side before then being sold to a bottom ranking premier league side.

I'm extremely excited about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

According to a report I read on Arseblog, Mert said that the cup game was the final chance for a number of players to prove themselves.

Hopefully he means Walcott and Welbeck because with the right guidance I could see some of the younger players improving.

Iwobi can't have helped his case though but if it means he is off the first team for the foreseeable, I won't be lamenting the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No. Why break old habits, and upset a not winning formula. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭rodders999

Makes no difference whether Iwobi was up until 3am boozing or in bed with milk and cookies by 9pm.....he's gash either way.

Another in the ever increasing list of failures our so called manager insists on playing again and again and again.

• Advertisement

Actually think Iwobi was a great prospect, but Wenger put waaaay too much faith in him instead of bedding him in slowly and has ruined him IMO

emmetlego wrote:
    Actually think Iwobi was a great prospect, but Wenger put waaaay too much faith in him instead of bedding him in slowly and has ruined him IMO

What a load of rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

emmetlego wrote: »

There's a difference between bedding him slowly and him having no ability to make right decision or pass the ball 10 yards, that's on the player. He doesn't have what it takes at highest level and below what Arsenal should be fielding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

FixitFelix wrote: »
    There's a difference between bedding him slowly and him having no ability to make right decision or pass the ball 10 yards, that's on the player. He doesn't have what it takes at highest level and below what Arsenal should be fielding

Disagree completely, he burst onto the scene at 19years of age and held his own in the camp Nou vs Barcelona, no mean feat. Also Alex Ferguson after his breakthrough season hailed him as a sensation. There is a good player in there but he's been thrown into the deep end at far too young an age. He's also battling with a severe lack of confidence, and constantly being played out of position doesn't help him either. Like the majority of our young players at this moment, being tasked with too much responsibility as the squad depth and size isn't there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

For me, the problem with all these young promising players is not that they've been blooded too young or thrown in at the deep end, it's that they have been played without any coaching. It's as if AW lets players naturally express themselves on the pitch without too much restriction. Now that's fine if you are a world class player capable of making the correct decisions but for young or crap players this can lead to a lot of mistakes and bad performances.

• Advertisement

Plenty of other teams with young lads who are playing well.
    Martial and Rashford were thrown in early too and are performing well. Their coaches seemed to have known how to do it but again is it the coaches of the person over the coaches?

Plenty of other teams with young lads who are playing well.
    Martial and Rashford were thrown in early too and are performing well. Their coaches seemed to have known how to do it but again is it the coaches of the person over the coaches?

Every other coach seems to hold their players accountable at every other club. Our boys are allowed slip into a series of stinkers without seemingly anyone calling them to one side and telling them to get their shít together or get the fúck out.

Anyone know if the whole team were out partying with Iwobi? Seemed like it.

liam7831 wrote: »
    emmetlego wrote:

What a load of rubbish
    Thanks for that contribution Eamon Dunphy.

Roddy23 wrote: »

Disagree completely, he burst onto the scene at 19years of age and held his own in the camp Nou vs Barcelona, no mean feat. Also Alex Ferguson after his breakthrough season hailed him as a sensation. There is a good player in there but he's been thrown into the deep end at far too young an age. He's also battling with a severe lack of confidence, and constantly being played out of position doesn't help him either. Like the majority of our young players at this moment, being tasked with too much responsibility as the squad depth and size isn't there.
    This is a sensible post and I happen to agree fully. His early appearances were extremely encouraging and his form fell off the edge of a cliff and confidence shot to pieces by being overused while playing badly. I’m pinning this one on Wenger. The 2 protégés mentioned above were used sparingly at the start until they found consistency in good performances, unlike Iwobi who was flogged!

emmetlego wrote:

No probs Stevie Wonder

Roddy23 wrote: »

Wholeheartedly agree with this. I actually wonder would Iwobi make a decent central striker? He's big, strong, and can score. He played very well against Argentina very recently and scored a brace. He's too young to write off. There is definitely more here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wholeheartedly agree with this. I actually wonder would Iwobi make a decent central striker? He's big, strong, and can score. He played very well against Argentina very recently and scored a brace. He's too young to write off. There is definitely more here.

With the exception of the two goals, the rest of that video shows everything that is wrong with him. How many bad passes did he make? How many times did he blindly run into the opposition.

He offers us nothing, and shouldn't be near the first team. He's a homegrown Welbeck

Jesus that’s extremely harsh!

liam7831 wrote: »
    emmetlego wrote:

No probs Stevie Wonder
    You do know you can politely disagree with somebody without sounding like a knob? You should try it sometime.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement