Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Quazzie wrote:
    With the exception of the two goals, the rest of that video shows everything that is wrong with him. How many bad passes did he make? How many times did he blindly run into the opposition.

Quazzie wrote:
    He offers us nothing, and shouldn't be near the first team. He's a homegrown Welbeck

Couldn't have put it better myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quazzie wrote: »
    With the exception of the two goals, the rest of that video shows everything that is wrong with him. How many bad passes did he make? How many times did he blindly run into the opposition.

He offers us nothing, and shouldn't be near the first team. He's a homegrown Welbeck

Which is more annoying, the fact that we paid 16 million for a ready made Welbeck, or the fact that we developed our own?

Joking, sort of.

I think Iwobi has the potential to be very good but jesus, if this is true his attitude is...well, needs a lot of work.

Quazzie wrote: »

Id disagree. He's still young and when he burst on the scene he looked more than capable.

I think he has the raw materials but needs a few leaders around him to advise him and keep him in tow. Unfortunately they are scarce at the Arsenal. Mertesacker maybe but other than that who knows

Tony Adams lost his way because the leaders he had when he started were the likes of Kenny Sansom who wasnt a leader and had his own personal battles.

Years later though the likes of Adams, Wrighty, Bergkamp and Keown were able to get the young players to one side and advise them.

Now its come around full circle again. Very few real leaders within the club in terms of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Id disagree. He's still young and when he burst on the scene he looked more than capable.

I think he has the raw materials but needs a few leaders around him to advise him and keep him in tow. Unfortunately they are scarce at the Arsenal. Mertesacker maybe but other than that who knows

I just don't see it. What is he?

A striker... No. He doesn't score goals, or has never shown any particular skillset that would give the impression he can score goals.
    A winger... No. Neither has pace or any great ability to cross or take on players
    A playmaker... No. His passing is atrocious and he very rarely gets an assist.
    A box to box midfielder... No. Very rarely comes back to cover defensive duties and when he loses the ball it remains lost
    A central midfielder... Maybe, but not a particularly good one. We have numerous central midfielders better than him so he shouldn't be near the side.

And this is the crux of it. I just don't see what he offers to the team, or how he fits in to a team at all. He might have bags of potential, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

GOOD EVENING GOONERS !!!!!!!!!!

Due to a private function in the Mercantile the
    CHELSEA v ARSENAL game
    will be shown @ CHAMBERS PUB
    Merrion Row 13, Dublin 2
    www.facebook.com/chambersbardublin/
    on Wednesday 10th January @ 8 pm

Sorry for the late change and any inconvenience caused.
    #COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Iwobi is a static winger who likes to cut inside , Basically an aldi version of Ozil ...to me anyway and Wenger probably has it in his head somewhere that he can rise to Ozils level which is bonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Anyone we could pawn off City as part of the deal?

Iwobi is a static winger who likes to cut inside , Basically an aldi version of Ozil ...to me anyway and Wenger probably has it in his head somewhere that he can rise to Ozils level which is bonkers

When's the next BP zone?

A lot of questions need to be answered!

• Advertisement

This Thursday actually , had a family bereavement before the weekend , so didn't really follow any football and I'm only starting to get back to normality now , thank god I missed what looked like another **** show at the weekend

So yeah get some questions in :)

This Thursday actually , had a family bereavement before the weekend , so didn't really follow any football and I'm only starting to get back to normality now , thank god I missed what looked like another **** show at the weekend

So yeah get some questions in :)

Sorry to hear that, man.

(It wasn't just another sh*t show it was...something special. F*ckin Nottingham Forest, like!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Sorry lad, some things overtake football and Arsenal. Bereavement is tough to take. But so was watching NF vs Gunners on Sunday. Fair play to them, they made our lads look like a bunch of inexperienced teenagers, so be thankful for small mercies that you missed it! Let us know when you're looking for questions Brian, I've a few I'd like to throw at you.

Yeah lads fire them in now cos ill be prepping topics etc tommorow and recording the show thursday then , Will hopefully have Jamie back aswell

Nice one Brian.

Should we accept the reported €20M bid for Sanchez now, or keep him and lose him on the free in next season, risking our chance of winning the Europa?

Will Arteta be the next gaffer of the team starting next season, or will Wenger be manager for the next season too? I know that's unlikely, but the stubborn C-U-NTuesday be stubborn enough to try stay on?

Also, a question I heard on Arsecast, if you could make one change at Arsenal that is not Wenger out, what would it be. My answer was Kronke out... But I'm a bit unconvinced since. Maybe there's more to the malign in the club than the owner and manager. Maybe I'd say change the board!!!

Iwobi will have a middling career most likely. He could fit into a top team as a utility player but that's about it. He burst onto the scene because he was athletic and part of a hustling performance. And like a lot of such players he starts off well as an unknown quantity but was figured out quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

emmetlego wrote: »
    Nice one Brian.

Should we accept the reported €20M bid for Sanchez now, or keep him and lose him on the free in next season, risking our chance of winning the Europa?

Will Arteta be the next gaffer of the team starting next season, or will Wenger be manager for the next season too? I know that's unlikely, but the stubborn C-U-NTuesday be stubborn enough to try stay on?

Also, a question I heard on Arsecast, if you could make one change at Arsenal that is not Wenger out, what would it be. My answer was Kronke out... But I'm a bit unconvinced since. Maybe there's more to the malign in the club than the owner and manager. Maybe I'd say change the board!!!

Sell Sanchez for whatever...get Arteta as new manager but we still won't be near a league title unless we start spending money like City and Utd...a new manager will get us back in the top 4 but it's new ownership we need to become th e best the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nice one Brian.

Ideally I'd like to keep Sanchez as the 20 million is neither here nor there really. The only problem is his attitude. It's been very poor for the most part of this season only picking up (seemingly) with the transfer window approaching. If he's forced to stay at the club until the Summer he may well end up being in an almighty strop. So sell and replace with someone of Mahrez or Lemar's quality. Dreaming I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

greendom wrote: »
    Ideally I'd like to keep Sanchez as the 20 million is neither here nor there really. The only problem is his attitude. It's been very poor for the most part of this season only picking up (seemingly) with the transfer window approaching. If he's forced to stay at the club until the Summer he may well end up being in an almighty strop. So sell and replace with someone of Mahrez or Lemar's quality. Dreaming I know!

I say get rid of him asap - you only had to look at the team walking away from him after he scored to see the divide in the dressing room and that's not going to help us win. At least if he's gone, we may be a more united team.

Evening standard reporting that arsenal have lined up Carlos Ancelloti as a replacement for Wenger if he calls it quits in May.
    What do ye make of that? I'd believe it when I see it tbh
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/carlo-ancelotti-in-line-to-succeed-arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-a3736521.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I say get rid of him asap - you only had to look at the team walking away from him after he scored to see the divide in the dressing room and that's not going to help us win. At least if he's gone, we may be a more united team.
    The only thing that unites our team at the minute is mediocrity.
    Whether Sanchez stays or goes is irrelevant until Wenger goes.
    If Sanchez has a bad attitude then what has the rest of them?

• Advertisement

The only thing that unites our team at the minute is mediocrity.
    Whether Sanchez stays or goes is irrelevant until Wenger goes.
    If Sanchez has a bad attitude then what has the rest of them?

I admire your optimism that things will change when Arsene leaves. What makes you so sure ?

I admire your optimism that things will change when Arsene leaves. What makes you so sure ?

Because Stan is just itching to fire cash at the new manager. We can all see that.

Because a new manager will surely have a bit of pride and not stand for the rubbish that's being produced now under Wenger. The job of any new manager is to improve things even without new players. Otherwise he's just as bad as the last guy who was let go. So he has a yardstick as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Evening standard reporting that arsenal have lined up Carlos Ancelloti as a replacement for Wenger if he calls it quits in May.
    What do ye make of that? I'd believe it when I see it tbh
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/carlo-ancelotti-in-line-to-succeed-arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-a3736521.html?__twitter_impression=true

I know beggars can't be choosers but Ancelotti's training methods are seriously outdated.

Because a new manager will surely have a bit of pride and not stand for the rubbish that's being produced now under Wenger. The job of any new manager is to improve things even without new players. Otherwise he's just as bad as the last guy who was let go. So he has a yardstick as such.

This new manager will have to work for a man who has openly stated " “If you want to win Championships then you would never get involved.”

So, how does that sit with what you've said there?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/stan-kroenke-i-didnt-buy-arsenal-stake-to-win-trophies-a3202046.html

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This new manager will have to work for a man who has openly stated " “If you want to win Championships then you would never get involved.”

So, how does that sit with what you've said there?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/stan-kroenke-i-didnt-buy-arsenal-stake-to-win-trophies-a3202046.html

I know what he said Donie. That's why i didn't include the purchase of new players in my post.
    It depends on who comes in as manager. Someone who has ambition is not going to settle for a club that's threading water and has no ambition. He hopefully will be more inclined to tell the truth in his interviews if he is denied money to spend. Likewise with any new players who do come in (if he gets spending money) they won't want to stay at a club with no ambition just like RVP, Sanchez, Clichy etc.
    The club is going downhill at the moment and hopefully both Board and new manager will want that to stop.

A new manager would mean we'd at least have a chance. If we won two leagues in the next 10 years and finished 6th a couple of times it's still better than what'll happen with Wenger (or has happened the last 14 seasons).

€25 million from Valencia for Coquelin and another 20/30 for Sanchez...

We won’t spend a penny, will we?!?!

I know what he said Donie. That's why i didn't include the purchase of new players in my post.
    It depends on who comes in as manager. Someone who has ambition is not going to settle for a club that's threading water and has no ambition. He hopefully will be more inclined to tell the truth in his interviews if he is denied money to spend. Likewise with any new players who do come in (if he gets spending money) they won't want to stay at a club with no ambition just like RVP, Sanchez, Clichy etc.
    The club is going downhill at the moment and hopefully both Board and new manager will want that to stop.

so it's down to hopefully

A new manager would mean we'd at least have a chance. If we won two leagues in the next 10 years and finished 6th a couple of times it's still better than what'll happen with Wenger (or has happened the last 14 seasons).

It will need an amazing manager to get 2 leagues in the next 10 years based on respective finances of the clubs involved. Wenger leaving is inevitable but I don't see it as a panacea

• Advertisement

great money for Coquelin! Hopefully we will see a decent bit of money spent too

It will need an amazing manager to get 2 leagues in the next 10 years based on respective finances of the clubs involved. Wenger leaving is inevitable but I don't see it as a panacea

People always cite Leicester as an example of why we should be doing better.

That's 1 of the past 10 seasons. The other 9 are split evenly between United, City & Chelsea. 3 each, the teams that spend the most.

so it's down to hopefully

Magic forum
    >

Of course it is. Nothing is concrete and certain especially in football.
    At least the players and fans would have renewed hope and possibly something to look forward to. We're going backwards already.

Meanwhile, we really have to go full strength tonight, don't we?

Not in the mood for any b*ll**** from them tonight.

People always cite Leicester as an example of why we should be doing better.

That's 1 of the past 10 seasons. The other 9 are split evenly between United, City & Chelsea. 3 each, the teams that spend the most.

I haven't seen anyone do that here today.
    Nobody expects a new manager to bring instant success and i have not read anyone saying that here.
    What i have seen is plenty of posters saying that we will win no future league under Wenger. Unless you disagree with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Where did you get the €25M fee from? Anything I've seen is reporting it as £12M.

Kike Marin (spelling?) on twitter citing that price, he’s usually on the ball.

Kike Marin (spelling?) on twitter citing that price, he’s usually on the ball.

You follow a lot of dodgy Twitter users, from what I've seen in the past.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/951158785858523136

In other news, Sanchez on the bench tonight, Welbeck starts (supposedly)

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/951166902545600512

I suspect this will be painful to watch. I see Iwobi is being punished for his indiscretions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/951166902545600512

I suspect this will be painful to watch. I see Iwobi is being punished for his indiscretions.

Not a great 11.

Welbeck is a surprise, Sanchez must be wrapping up god deal. That back 3.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So if we need to change things up we have a player whos halfway out the door and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Chelsea have a strong team out tonight. Not warming up to this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Surprised Iwobi is involved at all. His shenanigans last weekend should have had him punished. Plus he has been shocking on the pitch too. Again the back 5 doesn’t look great. I’m glad Sanchez isn’t starting and I wouldn’t even have him in the squad if he is leaving in January.

Ah for f*ck sake.

Are Cech, Kos, Kolasinac, Monreal, Rambo, Ozil & Giroud all injured?

Ah for f*ck sake.

dont think Cech is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Can anyone explain to me why Iwobi starts yet again? ****ing ludicrous.

Ah for f*ck sake.

We should have a full squad by the 20th (barring more injuries, and disregarding Santi). Interestingly, Xhaka and Mustafi are listed as injured until today, so hope they're ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Where is the will to play well when you still start after been poor?? Joke of a manager.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why Iwobi starts yet again? ****ing ludicrous.

Well since Wenger is all about the money, fining him was his punishment served :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Joke of a club, starting Iwobi after the d1cking about he had last weekend is crazy. So much for reprimanding the players, I wonder do they answer to anyone, id have thrown in Walcott instead.
    With the exception of Christensen who im unfamiliar with, that is a very strong Chelsea side. Could be a long evening

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement