Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sanchez used to be happy to be part of a system and try to drag his teammates up to his level. The last couple of years he's tried to make it all about him. Still getting goals and putting on great displays, but not part of a system and trying to do everything himself. Ronaldo at United would trust players to get him in positions to be dangerous, Sanchez tries to be the creator and the finisher now the last couple of years and it's cost Arsenal.

If he goes to another club, especially City, and tries the same there could be a bit of a falling out imo. If he goes to another team and plays as part of the system it could reap huge benefits though it's probably no good to you lads at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

emmetlego wrote: »
    Wish I could put myself in his multi millionaire sports star shoes, but alas that ship has sailed.

I know why he wants to leave and the reason is the club is in sh1te. Because of Wenger and the board. It still doesn't make me want to keep him. Fact is, he's leaving and hasn't wanted to play for us for a while now, so let him off.

Arsenal doesn't depend on one player. We won't sink because he leaves. What's hugely important is that we replace with a player of real quality to fill the position, instead of bringing Joel Campbell back or playing Danny there!

That's all well and good let him go he's only one player and let's try sign another? But we'll be back here in 2/3 years with that same player wanting the same way out.

If we don't fix the problem then it'll continue to repeat as it has done for 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

You’re preaching to the converted brother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Quazzie wrote: »
    To be fair we cursed RvP into the ground when he gave his reasons for leaving, but looking back now he was dead right.

Funny he didn't voice these opinions when he was laying on the treatment table month after month, give that snake no credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lads before you cast judgement on world class players wanting to leave our club just think of why they want to leave.
    They came here because they were obviously promised that we were a progressive club, wanting to compete for top honours and that everything would be put in place to do so.
    The fact is that they were lied to. We have no ambition, we don't challenge and we roll over every feckin season. We're so predictible.
    The lies will only work for a very short time. Players of world class will see through them. That's why our best players over the years have left.
    We will find it hard to entice new world class players here anymore. Our club inc Board and manager is a joke shop.
    Sanchez, RVP, Fabregas, etc etc deserved more and eventually saw through the bullsh1t. It takes some of our fans a bit longer to get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whats worse is that we've had so many false dawns at this stage. I think during the Emirates build and transition there was a sense that the club would have to suffer a few tough years before the good times would be back. As fans Id say most people bought into it as the vision for the clubs future was so positive. However we're out the other side now but football has changed so much that we're still being left behind.
    Im sure when Ozil and Sanchez were signed that they were promised the sun moon and stars and that we'd be competing at the top table for many years. They are seeing through that now. Money aside, a players career is short enough if he wants to win something so as such I don't blame them really for wanting out.
    The fact is that we are not an attractive destination anymore for a really top player. We're as far away for competing for the league as we have been for many years. Even the carrot of the champions league is gone.
    A major overhaul is needed but the board are the number 1 problem and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon. Silent Stan is a leech but he answers to nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

wonga77 wrote: »
    Whats worse is that we've had so many false dawns at this stage. I think during the Emirates build and transition there was a sense that the club would have to suffer a few tough years before the good times would be back. As fans Id say most people bought into it as the vision for the clubs future was so positive. However we're out the other side now but football has changed so much that we're still being left behind.
    Im sure when Ozil and Sanchez were signed that they were promised the sun moon and stars and that we'd be competing at the top table for many years. They are seeing through that now. Money aside, a players career is short enough if he wants to win something so as such I don't blame them really for wanting out.
    The fact is that we are not an attractive destination anymore for a really top player. We're as far away for competing for the league as we have been for many years. Even the carrot of the champions league is gone.
    A major overhaul is needed but the board are the number 1 problem and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon. Silent Stan is a leech but he answers to nobody.
    A friend of mine, also an Arsenal fanatic, summed up the club the other day. He said last summer we bought Lacazette for 53 million euro then we went on to sell Chamberlain and now Coquelin for for approx that same amount. Do the sums he says, Arsenal is all about money and very little about winning trophies. Sanchez is a footballer not a bank clerk so why would he stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

On from what yere saying, I'd say Lacazette is really regretting his move already. And it's such a shame because in the last few years we've just been one or two players (and a manager) away from being a world class team. What a shambles were quickly becoming..

Just looking for an opinion, re: Laccazette.

I feel he is still playing very good football, link up play etc, and has just been a bit unlucky that some of his shots have been saved by super saves, tipped onto posts etc. I think he will come good again on the scoresheet, and I'm not worried about him at all.

Or am I just clinging to straws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I feel he is still playing very good football, link up play etc, and has just been a bit unlucky that some of his shots have been saved by super saves, tipped onto posts etc. I think he will come good again on the scoresheet, and I'm not worried about him at all.

He deserves a full season to prove himself, and I don't think he is being given a fair shot by Wenger with him constantly being subbed off and dropped.... but... I was hoping for more from him at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Pretty much as I expected. Good/different option to Giroud but not the top level striker we want/need which seems to be a problem in the league with only City and Spurs having one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He's definitely good. The service to him is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Formation doesn't suit him at all and Sanchez getting in his way taking up similar positions does not help at all

Thanks people. Still up in the air I suppose would be the general consensus. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I would be sick if Sanchez went to Liverpool didn't mind the ox as he's bang average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I love a good Twitter rumour...

Supposedly we are negotiating with Monaco for Lemar. They have dropped their price to 64m pounds.

Also Malcom is supposedly close.

Basically what this means is that Theo and Sanchez are gone.

j14 wrote: »
    I love a good Twitter rumour...

Supposedly we are negotiating with Monaco for Lemar. They have dropped their price to 64m pounds.

Also Malcom is supposedly close.

Basically what this means is that Theo and Sanchez are gone.

Guffaw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Bookies now have Utd as hot faves to sign Sanchez. Well if he goes there then he's clearly only interested in the dollars as City surely represents a better chance of silverware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Winger is destroying lacas confidence.

Anyway if we sign malcom that's coq and theos fees.

Sanchez wont be replaced.

Another step backwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

wonga77 wrote: »
    Bookies now have Utd as hot faves to sign Sanchez. Well if he goes there then he's clearly only interested in the dollars as City surely represents a better chance of silverware?

What about the prestige of the club? How many players dreamed of playing for city when they were kids. Choosing city over United would be like if the Arabs took over Valencia and a player choose them over Barca or real . People say money is the reason he will choose United over city but the reality is money is the actual reason players choose city over any other club

• Advertisement

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    What about the prestige of the club? How many players dreamed of playing for city when they were kids. Choosing city over United would be like if the Arabs took over Valencia and a player choose them over Barca or real . People say money is the reason he will choose United over city but the reality is money is the actual reason players choose city over any other club

If he chooses City now, he is almost guaranteed a Premier League medal, and a very good chance at a Champions League medal, and that's only this year. City's squad is young, so they could dominate for quiet a few years. Sure United have history, but he's 29, and he isn't interested in a rebuilding project, which is what United is at the moment, no matter what their history is. He gets the same money in both places, but only a genuine chance to win trophies in one, so that's why in this case, United is the cashing in option here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If he chooses City now, he is almost guaranteed a Premier League medal, and a very good chance at a Champions League medal, and that's only this year. City's squad is young, so they could dominate for quiet a few years. Sure United have history, but he's 29, and he isn't interested in a rebuilding project, which is what United is at the moment, no matter what their history is. He gets the same money in both places, but only a genuine chance to win trophies in one, so that's why in this case, United is the cashing in option here.

United are 2nd in the league, in the CL knockouts and still in the FA Cup. Won 2 trophies as recently as last year. City haven't actually won anything this year and United with Sanchez become a better prospect for the 2 other trophies they can still win this season. Not favourites by any means, especially in Europe but it fills in one of the glaring weakness positions that was there in the squad. United are still the bigger team worldwide and have more prestige attached with playing for them. Sanchez almost joined before going to Barcelona sure.

Would you really feel any extra sense of accomplishment when accepting that PL medal that is already won?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

That may be true but United have a chance in the champions league even though it may only be a small one. And next season I expect United.to be a lot better . Jose is a proven winner and I've every confidence we will be closer to city next season. Despite city's dominance and as you say United's period of transition the vast majority of arsenal pool and Chelsea fans will want Sanchez to choose city over United. Why is that? Why strengthen the main league challengers any more ? The sheer dread of the thought of Sanchez joining us over city is delightful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

In the short term it makes more sense to sell Sanchez to City, they more or less have the league tied up. In the medium term united might be ok as I am convinced that Mourinho will sour his relationship with the board and the fallout will extend to the players. Imho at this stage Sanchezs presence in the dressing room appears to be poison so he has to go. If we can shift Walcott as well then it will have been a good transfer window. I'll be sad to see Coc go I have a soft spot for him :p

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    That may be true but United have a chance in the champions league even though it may only be a small one. And next season I expect United.to be a lot better . Jose is a proven winner and I've every confidence we will be closer to city next season. Despite city's dominance and as you say United's period of transition the vast majority of arsenal pool and Chelsea fans will want Sanchez to choose city over United. Why is that? Why strengthen the main league challengers any more ? The sheer dread of the thought of Sanchez joining us over city is delightful

You're forgetting for evey one person who loves United there are 5 that hate them. You can double that ratio for Mourinho.

City are beige. Sure they might dominate the league, but they're playing good football and it's easier to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sanchez would be much of a muchness to City. They already have so many players of his quality. Not sure he'd even be a guaranteed starter.

But he will be seriously improving United, a club we are much closer to.

And selling to Mourinho ? Ugh!

Why oh why didn't they just sell Sanchez last summer?

Will be interesting how we line up today. I wonder if Ramsey will come back in, but play a bit further forward?

greendom wrote: »
    Sanchez would be much of a muchness to City. They already have so many players of his quality. Not sure he'd even be a guaranteed starter.

But he will be seriously improving United, a club we are much closer to.

And selling to Mourinho ? Ugh!

It'd be interesting to see how his stroppy selfish style fits in with...well, Jose's bitchy create a distraction style.

It's not like selling RVP or Cesc, the team has been struggling to deal with his selfishness on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Ballague has had his say about arsenal ha ing a big player lined up already to replace Sanchez ( not malcolm)

So that means we are not signing anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

To be fair...it would be a massive achievement to replace a player like Sanchez in the January transfer window. I know this clusterfcuk is all Wengers making but I'd bet we won't get anyone to replace Sanchez this month, it'll be the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

big onus on Jack to create something

good news to see Kola and Ramsey on the bench.

Basil3 wrote: »

It's soul destroying. Whatever about the two lads at the back atleast they have the benefit of the Chelsea game behind them.

Going from Sanchez, Ozil and Laca to Iwobi Welbeck and Laca is shocking and absolutely sickening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

How long more is Giroud out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Iwobi and Welbeck, ffs.

Must be very encouraging for everyone in the club to see that despite how poor he has been and that he was out partying the night before the FA cup loss, Iwobi still isn't being punished or dropped.

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's soul destroying. Whatever about the two lads at the back atleast they have the benefit of the Chelsea game behind them.

Going from Sanchez, Ozil and Laca to Iwobi Welbeck and Laca is shocking and absolutely sickening

still hopeful over Iwobi. That hope is diminishing tho.

How long more is Giroud out for?

Physioroom have him out until the end of Jan. Monreal and Kos due back on the 20th.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Iwobi and Welbeck, ffs.

Must be very encouraging for everyone in the club to see that despite how poor he has been and that he was out partying the night before the FA cup loss, Iwobi still isn't being punished or dropped.

He's been rewarded started two consecutive games since and for the first time this season

Iwobi and Welbeck, ffs.

Wenger addressed this earlier this week, by saying dropping Iwobi would have been punishing the whole team. Surely making them play with him is punishing them more?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/dropping-iwobi-wouldve-punished-the-whole-arsenal-team-wenger/vp-BBIf3Qk

greendom wrote: »
    still hopeful over Iwobi. That hope is diminishing tho.

I don't see it at all in him, I don't think he has the right work ethic or team play. It just desperate times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

He said Monreal would be next week earliest.

My opinion is, he is rushing Jack and Monreal back, wait for it to backfire

big onus on Jack to create something

Thanks be to holy Jesus Christ in heaven we have him this season. On a day like today, he's our only hope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Iwobi and Welbeck, ffs.

AS far as I know it wasn't the night before but two nights before. Small difference but a relevant one.

• Advertisement

You've really got to hope a signing is readied up, we knew this was coming if nothing is prepared the incompetence is just incredible

Lose today sell Sanchez to Utd and not have a signing by the next home game and the stadium will erupt

As said above selling him to City doesn't really improve them selling to united Absolutely does.

Iwobi and Welbeck. It's hard to pick who's worse

Iwobi and Welbeck. It's hard to pick who's worse

Excellent, I small a brace between them today so! :-)

Really sad times watching the 2 Manc clubs fighting over our "star" player. You can imagine the uproar if he does go to ManU. And to that f***** as manager... He will rub the voyeur's nose in it too... A win today is an absolute must!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wenger addressed this earlier this week, by saying dropping Iwobi would have been punishing the whole team

That's such a cop out of an answer from Wenger. Decisions like that will ruin discipline within a team. I'd wonder how many times he has let players off like that.

Iwobi is pants anyway. Big stink of the Gervinho's off him when it comes to finishing.

I'm still not sure what Iwobi does. I know he's still a kid and needs to develop and that, but apart from a couple of goals when he got in the team first, I don't think I can remember anything he's actually done on the pitch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement