Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    One thing is sure, we need some reinforcements.

I want to love Welbz, but if he can't influence a game against Bournemouth, he needs to be replaced.

We gave away two soft enough goals today, but their spirit should have been broken by half time, they're really not great.

(I know it counts for nothing, but we were missing half our first team. Not good enough, I know, but worth mentioning anyway).

Hard not to like him, you can tell he's trying his best. His best just happens to be not very good.

Hard not to like him, you can tell he's trying his best. His best just happens to be not very good.

Only his finishing is poor i would argue and look i accept that is huge for a striker. His workrate, hold up play, ball winning ability are all exceptional. I think he'd be a decent squad player if he had a few better players complimenting him around him. A good pro to have on the squad at least to set an example to younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You boys are the footballing equivalent of The Simpson’s under Wenger. In your heyday, you were probably the best thing ever seen in the Premiership. Absolutely outstanding in every respect. But you’ve been poor for longer than you’ve been brilliant under him.

It’s sad. Even as a Spurs fan, although I’m obviously enjoying it in many ways, I hate seeing Wenger tarnish his legacy like this.

Very Dissapointing again today Sort of expected it. We just look so patched together at the moment , There is a total rebuild needed

Holding, Chambers, Iwobi are all too young and should be loaned out none of the 4 are good enough for a consistent place in the team

Welbeck was a panic buy who United couldn't wait to get rid of , nowhere near good enough

Xhaka not a DM but asking to do a DM job so obviously he's not good at it

Cech was finished at Chelsea thats why they sold him to us , him or Ospina are at number 2 level , we badly need a new goalkeeper

Anyway........not much more can be said that hasn't been said already about the manager

for now Tie Jack and Ozil down and try and get in a player or 2 before this window closes

Id be inclined to give Chambers a run of games to be honest. I think he was decent today. Yes Bournemouth's first perhaps he could have done better, but it was brainless Hector who didnt pick up the runner.

Chambers made a great block down which Arsenal have been lacking that type of centre half who puts his body on the line. Perhaps a point of discussion for your next podcast? :p

BTW, anyone remember Ivan Gazidis lies and broken promises?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You boys are the footballing equivalent of The Simpson’s under Wenger. In your heyday, you were probably the best thing ever seen in the Premiership. Absolutely outstanding in every respect. But you’ve been poor for longer than you’ve been brilliant under him.

It’s sad. Even as a Spurs fan, although I’m obviously enjoying it in many ways, I hate seeing Wenger tarnish his legacy like this.

Hard to know which episode of the Simpsons. The meltdown one perhaps where Homer has to go 'eenie, meenie, miney, mo' to save the Power Plant? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Good point from Souness. Wenger walked into a dressing room with a world class back 4, goalkeeper and a young Dennis Bergkamp! Who’ll be there if a new manager walks into the Arsenal dressing room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

omega man wrote: »
    Good point from Souness. Wenger walked into a dressing room with a world class back 4, goalkeeper and a young Dennis Bergkamp! Who’ll be there if a new manager walks into the Arsenal dressing room?

Im just as annoyed as the rest but thinking about it we were missing 7 first team players today.

Also another relevant point is that the Anelka's of this world which cost 500k in 1997 will now cost at least 30m. They will have to be bought younger which tbf clubs have been doing. Still a gamble though.

Overmars cost Arsenal a mere 5.5m in 1997 and was replaced by Pires three years later who cost 6 or 7 million from what i recall.

Debuchy.

Wtf is he still doing at our club????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be fair we have a decent enough squad who with proper motivation and leadership could improve their performances dramatically. Wenger has to go, at this stage even Mike Bassett would be an improvement!

Im just as annoyed as the rest but thinking about it we were missing 7 first team players today.

Still though, Wenger has built a poor squad overall. Ozil i think was a huge loss. Sanchez has been more miss than hit and doesn't want to be there with a while now.

Going back to the argument of Welbeck.... Dont forget folks we got rid of Podolski who was good for 10-15 goals a season out on the wing. He wasnt a man who would track runs but at the same time very few full backs would feel easy marauding down the wing and leaving him unmarked.

Still though, Wenger has built a poor squad overall. Ozil i think was a huge loss. Sanchez has been more miss than hit and doesn't want to be there with a while now.

Going back to the argument of Welbeck.... Dont forget folks we got rid of Podolski who was good for 10-15 goals a season out on the wing. He wasnt a man who would track runs but at the same time very few full backs would feel easy marauding down the wing and leaving him unmarked.

We still seriously lack goal scorers. After Sanchez is gone, and then Theo, who is left?

I know Laca can theoretically bang them in, but if you look at a top side, they might be getting 100 goals in a season. Where would they ever come from for us? Liverpool have 3 guys in their starting lineup capable of getting 20+ goals a season each, do we even have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When I saw the team selection today I thought - mid table team - and that's how it turned out. Very poor. Iwobi and Welbeck aren't going to get you many goals. Lacazette has no support whatsoever. The we bring on Walcott for Iwobi and all the hope is gone instantly.

I don't believe there's anything wrong injury-wise with Ozil either. He's being pampered to keep him here. He always seems to get extra time off after breaks too. I don't think he'll stay at this club.

Our defence is rubbish and has been for a few years too. You will get the odd good performance like we saw at Chelsea but by and large we leak silly goals.

What little hope I had has all drained away.
    We are a disaster under Wrenger.

When I saw the team selection today I thought - mid table team - and that's how it turned out. Very poor. Iwobi and Welbeck aren't going to get you many goals. Lacazette has no support whatsoever. The we bring on Walcott for Iwobi and all the hope is gone instantly.

I don't believe there's anything wrong injury-wise with Ozil either. He's being pampered to keep him here. He always seems to get extra time off after breaks too. I don't think he'll stay at this club.

Our defence is rubbish and has been for a few years too. You will get the odd good performance like we saw at Chelsea but by and large we leak silly goals.

We are a disaster under Wrenger.

You're right, ozil ain't staying.

Basil3 wrote: »
    We still seriously lack goal scorers. After Sanchez is gone, and then Theo, who is left?

I know Laca can theoretically bang them in, but if you look at a top side, they might be getting 100 goals in a season. Where would they ever come from for us? Liverpool have 3 guys in their starting lineup capable of getting 20+ goals a season each, do we even have one?

its a worrying picture you paint although i think you are overestimating Walcotts impact somewhat (at least in recent times). Cant fathom why Sam Allardyce would want such a spineless player

Laca is not getting the service and I dont think he is suited to being the lone piper up front. That said i feel his first touch could be far better for a £53m player

• Advertisement

Debuchy.

Wtf is he still doing at our club????

He was stopped from going to United, he was told we didn't want to strengthen a rival :o

Not even looking at today though, our squad is poor if you take Sanchez and Ozil out.

Yes we have a decent sized squad with options in all positions but factor in a lot of them are very average players whilst some are arguably not even premiership standard.

We are a disaster under Wrenger

One notable thing is how bad our heading is in open play. I would say that everything is on the ground in the training ground. We look like dolphins playing with a beachball when we have to deal with aerial threats compared to the Arsenal of old under Adams, Keown, etc.

Wenger may not like heading but he has to accept that its part of the game.
    Such a small thing but very very indicative of the level of coaching at the club at present.

One notable thing is how bad our heading is in open play. I would say that everything is on the ground in the training ground. We look like dolphins playing with a beachball when we have to deal with aerial threats compared to the Arsenal of old under Adams, Keown, etc.

Wenger may not like heading but he has to accept that its part of the game.
    Such a small thing but very very indicative of the level of coaching at the club at present.

Dolphins playing with a beachball:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

tipp_gunner, I find myself agreeing with all your posts today, and thank you for the dolphin analogy, gave me a smile on what is a miserable day! It's clear now, that even the most hardened Wenger supporters have had enough here, I'd imagine that's the same on the terraces.

The hardest part for me, is my eldest son doesn't even want to support them anymore, and I can't find a reason to talk him out of it. He wants to support Liverpool. I despair. I mean I love my kids and I really don't want to throw a 10 year old out on the streets, but I can't live under the same roof as a Pool fan!

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    tipp_gunner, I find myself agreeing with all your posts today, and thank you for the dolphin analogy, gave me a smile on what is a miserable day! It's clear now, that even the most hardened Wenger supporters have had enough here, I'd imagine that's the same on the terraces.

The hardest part for me, is my eldest son doesn't even want to support them anymore, and I can't find a reason to talk him out of it. He wants to support Liverpool. I despair. I mean I love my kids and I really don't want to throw a 10 year old out on the streets, but I can't live under the same roof as a Pool fan!

Exact same with my 10 year old lad. As long as it’s not pool or Utd I’ll reluctantly accept his decision now or later.
    He’s only ever known supporting arsenal since he was 4 or 5 so it’s tough but I don’t want to force this misery on him!

Lots on the Dortmund forum seem to think Aubameyang could be off, seems to have poisoned the well over there.

Some suggesting they'd accept €50m & Giroud!

Exact same with my 10 year old lad. As long as it’s not pool or Utd I’ll reluctantly accept his decision now or later.
    He’s only ever known supporting arsenal since he was 4 or 5 so it’s tough but I don’t want to force this misery on him!

Time for some tough love guys :D

250?cb=20110423031941

Lots on the Dortmund forum seem to think Aubameyang could be off, seems to have poisoned the well over there.

Some suggesting they'd accept €50m & Giroud!

He will stay a year or two and leave for new pastures if Wenger remains though.
    That's the problem with getting in good players and not replacing Wenger. Rinse and repeat.

He will stay a year or two and leave for new pastures if Wenger remains though.
    That's the problem with getting in good players and not replacing Wenger. Rinse and repeat.

For me the main tactical suicide is Wengers insistence on playing this insanely high line as opposed to playing to the centre halves strengths. And then his other insistence on playing wingers in full back slots. Neither Maitland Niles or Bellerin have any defensive instincts whatsoever. Jeez even Eboue was a better defender.

For me the main tactical suicide is Wengers insistence on playing this insanely high line as opposed to playing to the centre halves strengths. And then his other insistence on playing wingers in full back slots. Neither Maitland Niles or Bellerin have any defensive instincts whatsoever. Jeez even Eboue was a better defender.

Wenger's emphasis has always been on attack.
    When he came first we attacked at pace BUT we also had good defenders.
    We have neither now.

And with all these attack minded players, we still struggle to score goals. Laughable really.

Basil3 wrote: »
    And with all these attack minded players, we still struggle to score goals. Laughable really.

Watching the pace of both City and Liverpool's attack today and then comparing it to our own. The sad thing is that we do odd show flashes of brilliance in attack and keep a quick ball, but they were once the norm.

For English football, our attack is far far too slow. My biggest gripe with Wenger is the insistence on repetition when it clearly gets us nowhere

Wenger's emphasis has always been on attack.
    When he came first we attacked at pace BUT we also had good defenders.
    We have neither now.

It was the perfect storm. I do wonder if part of Wengers ego wanted to break what he thought was 'the shackles' of George Grahams slightly more systematic and pragmatic approach? Only a theory

I'm after watching highlights again. While I thought Wilshere was very good today, several times he looked up, Lacca was on the shoulder of the defender on a high line. It was begging for a through ball, but time and again, he played tippy-happy **** with the fella beside him. If he was our playmaker today, he let us down time and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

From the outside looking in, the decline at Arsenal, I find it disheartening to see the irreparable damage Wenger is causing both to his legacy & the club as a whole.

Even Arsenal supporting family members are so apathetic with the club's situation.

It was the perfect storm. I do wonder if part of Wengers ego wanted to break what he thought was 'the shackles' of George Grahams slightly more systematic and pragmatic approach? Only a theory
    It seems to be more about possession now and hoping for the best. You rarely see a midfielder play a quick ball bar Ozil. Ramsey, Xhaka and Jack are reluctant enough to give a quick ball and then get forward fast in support. When we have the ball we slow it up and allow opposition loads of time to get back into their defensive positions. The wingers like Bellerin play far more passes backwards than forward into space for players to run on to. We can't cross or beat the first defender with corners.
    I don't know what goes on in training. I really can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

gandalf wrote: »
    To be fair we have a decent enough squad who with proper motivation and leadership could improve their performances dramatically. Wenger has to go, at this stage even Mike Bassett would be an improvement!

Rumours going around that we have signed two stars for the future.
    A young fellow by the name of Hedges and the other called Benson.
    Honest!!

northknife wrote: »
    Rumours going around that we have signed two stars for the future.
    A young fellow by the name of Hedges and the other called Benson.
    Honest!!
    Used to be Maguire and Patterson who were supposedly ...on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Arsenal need new players and a new manager with new ideas.

It all seems to be very stale over in the Emirates.

The only way to get into the Champions League is to win the Europa League.

mikeym wrote: »
    The only way to get into the Champions League is to win the Europa League.

And that won't happen as we're about to sell Sanchez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kolasinac on the bench today, he's being dicked about a bit I think. Been very impressive so far, I know he had an injury but why have him in the squad if he can't play

wonga77 wrote: »
    Kolasinac on the bench today, he's being dicked about a bit I think. Been very impressive so far, I know he had an injury but why have him in the squad if he can't play
    He looks like he could do with losing a few pounds. Put on a bit of weight imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

wonga77 wrote: »

Looks like the same sh1te Lucas Perez was treated to.

• Advertisement

Looks like the same sh1te Lucas Perez was treated to.

What I dont get is we were winning games with him in the team.

Then wenger gets some braindead idea and puts in Meitland Niles in, probably to satisfy his urge to show he can spot youth talent.

I cant figure out what hes trying to do lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

What I dont get is we were winning games with him in the team.

Then wenger gets some braindead idea and puts in Meitland Niles in, probably to satisfy his urge to show he can spot youth talent.

I cant figure out what hes trying to do lately.

I've given up trying to figure out the mind of a deluded man.
    Sooner he's gone the better and hopefully Silent Stan isn't far behind.

I mean, Wenger bought these players. WTF is going on. It's criminal.

Yes, I know Kolasinac was a freebie, but fact is Wenger brought him to us.

Like Perez. Like Elneny. Like Lucas.

Then you look at how he hounded out Scezney. He's playing out of his skin. Like a world class keeper. Go figure.

Then look at the display by Ox today. A bit of coaching and hey presto, he makes good decisions on the field. Did you see his set piece deliveries? Far superior to what he did for us. He was muscling fellas off the ball today too. Rarely did that for us.

Then look at the way Lacca started off us. A sprightly forward with a good return, and combining well. Today he was coming back into the middle looking for the ball, as he wasn't getting it and is now on an 8 game scoreless streak.

Don't get me started on the contracts of Ozil, Wilshere and Sanchez. Grrr.

There is absolutely nothing positive going on in this f*****g club at the moment. NOTHING. We need Wenger and Kronke out. Only thing that could possibly save him is some good signings this month and a streak to go on to win the Europa league. Anything else now is just an utter disgrace at this stage. And we all know, they will not happen.

I thought I was apathetic to the club, but I found a new level of anger over the weekend. I need a stiff drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Interesting in here tonight first time ever we are all in agreement on Arsenal, maybe this is rock bottom and fans as a group are ready to demand the end of this

I mean, Wenger bought these players. WTF is going on. It's criminal.

Yes, I know Kolasinac was a freebie, but fact is Wenger brought him to us.

Like Perez. Like Elneny. Like Lucas.

Then you look at how he hounded out Scezney. He's playing out of his skin. Like a world class keeper. Go figure.

I didnt so much mind farming Scz out on loan but when he proved himself in Italy he should have been brought back and there was a desire from him to come back too. Cech is sadly finished. A legend of the game in his time but he's a shell of a keeper now.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Interesting in here tonight first time ever we are all in agreement on Arsenal, maybe this is rock bottom and fans as a group are ready to demand the end of this
    Hopefully they let them know the feeling at the next home game.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »

I think some fans were trying to stay positive and at least allow the season to conclude before forming their summary which is understandable and then the rest of us (such as myself) were tearing our hair out at being put through this sh1t again. Overall i think on some level we were all on the same page with different ways of handling it. There was of course one former supporter on here who appears every so often that is still stuck in 2004.

Incidentally, here is Chesneys interview upon departure. An interesting (and alarming) viewpoint
    “I think in general, the coaches in Italy are much more tactical, that’s just how the league works,” says Szczęsny. “Whether it was [Luciano] Spalletti at Roma or Max Allegri here, the preparation for the game is different to what I was used to in England. You work on the shape of the team for a particular match all week. At Arsenal you’d just prepare physically for it but here you watch film analysing a specific opponent before the game and afterwards we’ll watch again to see what worked and what didn’t.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/wojciech-szczesny-exclusive-interview-arsenal-smoking-juventus-gianluigi-buffon-retirement-a8002836.html

Sanchez to united is happening.

Rock bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sure didn't Pep say Fabregas didn't have a clue tactiacally when he arrived at Barcalona in his book

Sanchez to united is happening.

Rock bottom.

Mourinho picking Wenger's pocket yet again so. Speaks volumes.

Sure didn't Pep say Fabregas didn't have a clue tactiacally when he arrived at Barcalona in his book
    Didn't most posters on here say that Wenger was useless tactically anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement