Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jeff Reine-Adelaide is the grand old age of 20 today ! Happy Birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

5star02707 wrote: »
    what a load of bollox.

Im backing Sanche 101 percent here! He tries his hardest while lots of other players just coasting throughout the season!

I would personaly be pissed off with my work mates if i was only the one pulling the weight.

DO YOU HONESTLY think Tony Adams and Viera wouldnt huff and puff the same as Sanchez? COME ON WAKE UP!

The likes of viera and Adams would and punched Kos in the face , not argue with words.

Seriously the problem is not Sanchez, its wenger and a lot of the piss poor players who dont deserve to wear the arenal badge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I want him to play for us, but f*ckin hell this one is giving us trouble already. You can't help feeling it'd only be a matter of time before he'd down tools to get another transfer (and agent bonus).

F*ck that.

You've got to stop reading the rags. To suggest he is giving us trouble is not fair considering nothing has been said by anybody other than an agent.

The guy had held his account well under difficult treatment at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Meh Sanchez huffs and puffs and at the end of the game hes covered less ground than most of the team. Hes a bit like Rooney, he'll run like hell to chase the ball if he lost it himself, but if someone else loses it there's a good chance he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Quazzie wrote: »
    Assuming he signs a 3 year contract, paying the €5M to his agent is equivalent to £32k extra per week. Can't see that being sanctioned when he's already asking for top dollar wage-wise

But agent fees are part of the game, Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka all had agents and we paid fees.

Look what I paid Theo and offered Ox, it's very reasonable money being talked here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soups123 wrote: »
    You've got to stop reading the rags. To suggest he is giving us trouble is not fair considering nothing has been said by anybody other than an agent.

The guy had held his account well under difficult treatment at Utd.

No, I meant him & his agent as a package causing us trouble.

AdamD wrote: »
    he'll run like hell to chase the ball if he lost it himself,

Which is why it seems like he's running round so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've said it before. Sanchez is dogged, but any decent defender must love playing against him, because more often than not, he'll collect the ball, turn and run into you. He doesn't try get around defenders, he tries to run through them. Brainless. That's why he loses the ball and gets so frustrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Must say these are positive changes made by Gazidis

https://twitter.com/th14Renato/status/953633362614382592

Now a new manager who can motivate the players is all we need ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/17/alexis-sanchez-agrees-four-year-manchester-united-contract-arsenal/
    Telegraph says Sanchez has agreed a deal 4.5 year deal worth [font=arial, sans-serif]£[/font]14m after tax. Mkhi holding it up because he apparently wants to be the highest earner at Arsenal.

• http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/17/alexis-sanchez-agrees-four-year-manchester-united-contract-arsenal/
    Telegraph says Sanchez has agreed a deal 4.5 year deal worth [font=arial, sans-serif]£[/font]14m after tax. Mkhi holding it up because he apparently wants to be the highest earner at Arsenal.

Another report stating that Utd keep Mkhi and offer a 35mill cash deal for Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Firmly convinced none of these touted 'targets' will end up at The Arsenal... certainly not in January anyway. Then the club will trot out the old reliable of 'we tried our best but couldnt get the deals over the line in time blah blah blah'... i.e. the usual bollo**s!

Flog a few fringe players, keep the cashflow chart healthy & the business is looking great on paper... shame the game is played on grass through where we're weaker than we have been in 20 years...

I've no doubt there a big window on the horizon, I just think this one looks panicky (to quote Ian Wright) and reactionary in terms of rebuilding long term, so I cant see it happening.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/953662003712753664

Theo to Everton done. Best of luck to him, I'll be keeping an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I wonder does Ornstein look down through the photos on his twitter feeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Basil3 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/953662003712753664

Theo to Everton done. Best of luck to him, I'll be keeping an eye.

I'll be happy for him if he does well there. Just as long as he doesn't score against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DvB wrote: »
    Firmly convinced none of these touted 'targets' will end up at The Arsenal... certainly not in January anyway. Then the club will trot out the old reliable of 'we tried our best but couldnt get the deals over the line in time blah blah blah'... i.e. the usual bollo**s!

Flog a few fringe players, keep the cashflow chart healthy & the business is looking great on paper... shame the game is played on grass through where we're weaker than we have been in 20 years...

I've no doubt there ay big window on the horizon, I just think this one looks panicky (to quote Ian Wright) and reactionary in terms of rebuilding long term, so I cant see it happening.

I don't think it looks panicky at all. It does looks very un-Arsenal like (to have all this activity in January), but that is down to the newly installed back room staff. Looks to me like Arsene's grip is loosening and the new guys are taking over (in off field activity) anyway . We'll see how well they've done by the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think it looks panicky at all. It does looks very un-Arsenal like (to have all this activity in January), but that is down to the newly installed back room staff. Looks to me like Arsene's grip is loosening and the new guys are taking over (in off field activity) anyway . We'll see how well they've done by the end of the month.

It makes sense to get a lot of it done this month. THis season is almost a write off at this stage. get the players in now. They have there settling into England period now, and get a full preseason with the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

wonga77 wrote: »
    I wonder does Ornstein look down through the photos on his twitter feeds

I got a giggle out of this one

DTwW4S1V4AATW_2.jpg

There are some quality ones there

DTwY1edXcAINtCD.jpg

DTwYutqVAAIY_nQ.jpg

DTwY6fsX4AAwofF.jpg

DTwYvDxXUAItm6Q.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/17/alexis-sanchez-agrees-four-year-manchester-united-contract-arsenal/

Another report stating that Utd keep Mkhi and offer a 35mill cash deal for Sanchez
    Yeah, I was suggesting that the other day. I am very confident that we'll have sold Sanchez and Walcott without bringing in any replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Jesus lads have a little faith

Best of luck Theo.

Hope he does well there.

greendom wrote: »
    I'll be happy for him if he does well there. Just as long as he doesn't score against us.

It will be very interesting to see how he does. I think he has really underachieved in his time at the club. Or at least never really kicked on from his early promise. Theres a decent footballer in there so it will be interesting to see how he reacts with a different manager as he's never really known any other management style apart from Wenger at club level.

He was about 1 in 4 in the league, 1 in 3 in the FA Cup, 1 in 2 in the League Cup and 1 in 3.5 in Europe. Overall he was better than a goal in 4 and there were an awful lot of sub appearances in there.

All the best to him

He was about 1 in 4 in the league, 1 in 3 in the FA Cup, 1 in 2 in the League Cup and 1 in 3.5 in Europe. Overall he was better than a goal in 4 and there were an awful lot of sub appearances in there.

All the best to him

Yeah, his sub appearances definitely skew things a lot. When you look at minutes per goal in the league, he was a bit over 200 mins per goal - a bit outside 1 in 2.

Maybe Wenger was the catalyst for change all along , he's been so poor things have had to change !

Like as bad as we've been , If we do get Mihki and Auba (couldn't be arsed spelling there names) but if we get those we're not that far off the top 4 and still in the EL and Carabao Cup , So in short the season may not be a bust after all and yes I know I'm reaching heavily but you can't be doomy and gloomy all your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If and Mkhi & auba are signed now you'd have to say it's been a good window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Maybe Wenger was the catalyst for change all along , he's been so poor things have had to change !

Like as bad as we've been , If we do get Mihki and Auba (couldn't be arsed spelling there names) but if we get those we're not that far off the top 4 and still in the EL and Carabao Cup , So in short the season may not be a bust after all and yes I know I'm reaching heavily but you can't be doomy and gloomy all your life

If Ozil were to sign a contract too it would be a salvage job i didn't think was possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not without signing a good CB at least.

Yeah I've always had a feeling with Ozil because of the distinct lack of noise about him that he will re sign because he's suppose to love the club and the place so maybe he will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If Ozil were to sign a contract too it would be a salvage job i didn't think was possible.

Keeping Ozil would be huge.
    It would send out a strong message to potential future signings also.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Currently sitting at £60m profit since last summer, and that's even with Sanchez value dropping considerably.

https://twitter.com/arseblog/status/953675680868265984

Forgot Joel Campbell is still an Arsenal player!

We're due a decent run, likely 7 wins in 10 or something like that.

I always try to look beyond the short term so a few wins in a row doesn't have me jumping up and down. Over a season we tend to be similar year-on-year. Sometimes we'll start strong, others we'll finish strong after an awful first 25ish games. At the moment we're on a run of 2 wins in 9. At the moment the most points we can finish with is 84 with 15 matches remaining. If we win 11 and draw 2 we end up on 74 points which will be probably be just short for 4th but well within our expected range.
    (My own guess would be 70 points with 9-4-2 from now)
    We'll get one good win and a "good" draw but also drop points we should be winning.

Then we'll have the usual suggestions that things came together and the end of the season and we only need a couple of players over the summer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Lads. This optimism stuff... Why? Remember who the gaffer is still!

Yes, I am a grumpy Cnut!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Lads. This optimism stuff... Why? Remember who the gaffer is still!

Yes, I am a grumpy Cnut!

Why? Because the squad can change and improve. There's nothing that can be done about the manager leaving, unless you're happy being miserable for at least another 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for the great memories Theo. Good luck at Everton.

Rumours around the Emirates that Wenger is not happy on Aubamayany as he thinks he might disrupt things. Got that from someone who works in the club.

Things might be going on over his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Delighted he's gone. So long Theo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Rumours around the Emirates that Wenger is not happy on Aubamayany as he thinks he might disrupt things. Got that from someone who works in the club.

Things might be going on over his head.

No wonder the guys disruptive if nobody can get his name right.

• Advertisement

dinorebel wrote: »
    No wonder the guys disruptive if nobody can get his name right.
    Has he a history of being disruptive, anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal want a lot of disruption right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

DenMan wrote: »
    Thanks for the great memories Theo. Good luck at Everton.

Just watching him on Sky Sports News. Good at the shpiel, crap at the footy.

I read somewhere that he has been dropped 3 times in the last year for discipline. Stuff like missing team meetings etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Good luck to Theo, I still never forget that 2 finger stretcher pic against Spurs :D

It seems to me that Wenger has had to make some serious concessions when he signed that 2-year contract.

Player sales and recruitment and probably player contracts seem to have been taken off his hands. Mayhap he was told to focus on the on-the-field performances.

I mean if this was the Arsenal that we are all used to then there is no way Arsene sells Theo and Coq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

It seems to me that Wenger has had to make some serious concessions when he signed that 2-year contract.

Player sales and recruitment and probably player contracts seem to have been taken off his hands. Mayhap he was told to focus on the on-the-field performances.

I mean if this was the Arsenal that we are all used to then there is no way Arsene sells Theo and Coq.
    Well Wenger is doing an even better job now on the field right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm not sure too much has changed, sell before we buy has been their way of doing business for a long time now... looks like that is what is happening here can't be having a negative balance

Well Wenger is doing an even better job now on the field right?

I didn't say he was doing better. I said some responsibilities might have been taken off his hands.

If there is any element of truth in this article then Man Utd are insane. There is value for money. there's spending big and then there's this, especially when you consider his contract situation at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭allinthehead

jester77 wrote: »
    Good luck to Theo, I still never forget that 2 finger stretcher pic against Spurs :D

He was having a decent run up to that too. Didn't return the same. I hope he gets the coaching he needs at Everton.

☀️

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement