Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Basil3 wrote: »
    Feeling quietly confident about my prediction that we'll have sold Sanchez and Ozil before the Palace game and bought no-one.

Irish Times is today saying that we could sell Sanchez without a swap deal for Mkhi: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/man-united-may-land-s%C3%A1nchez-without-mkhitaryan-sale-1.3359336

Both gone by tomorrow? That would be surprising.

Regardless, they shouldn't be letting Sanchez go until they have a player to announce.
    The same Times article said that Mourinho wants to register Sanchez by noon tomorrow, so that he can play against Burnley at the weekend. So let's see what happens today and what Wenger says in his press conference shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

You're signing a player who can only play in one position, that of the guy you signed 6 months ago for a record fee. So one of Aubameyang and Lacazette misses out, while fúcking Iwobi probably still gets a start. It just smacks of buying whatever is available, not what is needed.

Agree. As I said before theres a strong whiff of panic off these rumours.

Agree a deal with Ozil & getting in a GK, CB & CM would be far more useful. But no, instead we get charade that will probably deliver the sum total of more money in the bank for Kroenke & little else.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Irish Times is today saying that we could sell Sanchez without a swap deal for Mkhi: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/man-united-may-land-s%C3%A1nchez-without-mkhitaryan-sale-1.3359336

Not really bothered by that as I don't think Mikh is what we need, and don't really want to be signing him anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not really bothered by that as I don't think Mikh is what we need, and don't really want to be signing him anyways.

Just quoting this as this is the last post about Mkhitarayn.

Wenger said player swap can happen if transfer is done, he likes the player and wages are not problem.

So very likely it's a swap deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Lads we are so stale attacking wise.

Noone is scoring goals.

We need something or else this season will get a whole lot worst.

Auba is been bought for this reason.

In a way, I don't think it matters who is up front because no matter who it has been over the last few years, they have always been starved of supply.

It's the same problem every year, we don't play to our strikers strengths, we are far too slow in the build up and getting the ball to them and we don't give them enough of a supply in danger areas.

How many times this year have we seen Lacazette back at the halfway line looking for the ball? Go back a few years and Giroud was exactly the same.

• Advertisement

I'm very bothered if we sell Sanchez and Ozil before any incomings. If we sell Sanchez before signing a replacement, Dortmund etc will immediately smell our desperation and slap another 15-20m on whoever we target. We should walk away from any Sanchez deal if they're no swap involved. We can't sell the goals provided by Ox, Walcott, Sanchez and not replace them without expecting our league position to collapse further.

In press conference just now, Wenger has said that the Sanchez deal is "likely to happen" in the next 24 hours. If it doesn't, Sanchez will "play on Saturday". As for Mkhi, said it is his understanding that he will be coming the other way: "I like the player". Also said that wages won't be an obstacle.

Sounds like this is gonna be a big day. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Also said that Malcolm won't be happening this transfer window and preferred not to add anything to Evans/Auba rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads we are so stale attacking wise.

Noone is scoring goals.

We need something or else this season will get a whole lot worst.

Auba is been bought for this reason.

Interestingly, only City have scored more than us at home this season.

The biggest problem we have by miles and miles is not turning up for away games. We've even stemmed those awful away hidings, apart from that Liverpool fiasco.

The big problem is sh*tty games like Stoke, Bournmouth and West Ham this season, all of which would have been 3 easy points if our attack was sharper.

farna_boy wrote: »
    In a way, I don't think it matters who is up front because no matter who it has been over the last few years, they have always been starved of supply.

It's the same problem every year, we don't play to our strikers strengths, we are far too slow in the build up and getting the ball to them and we don't give them enough of a supply in danger areas.

How many times this year have we seen Lacazette back at the halfway line looking for the ball? Go back a few years and Giroud was exactly the same.

I have believed for some years that our midfielders need to chip in with more goals. I always felt that if Henry couldn't get the job done, Pires or Ljungberg would pop up at the far post to get us out of jail.

Not least because if defenders are worried about that, it frees up Lacazette etc a bit more.

The same Times article said that Mourinho wants to register Sanchez by noon tomorrow, so that he can play against Burnley at the weekend. So let's see what happens today and what Wenger says in his press conference shortly.

Great. Burnley had him in their pocket when we played them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Wrighty gave an interesting angle on it yesterday saying that we weren't after Mikh before, so why are we now accepting him as part of a deal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Wrighty gave an interesting angle on it yesterday say that we weren't after Mikh before, so why are we now accepting him as part of a deal.

So based on that logic if they had offered Pogba we should ignore it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hyzepher wrote: »
    So based on that logic if they had offered Pogba we should ignore it?

No but I think Pogba and Mkhitaryan are chalk and cheese. Of course if you're offered a world class player then you would potentially jump at it, but I don't class Mikh in that league. I'd also question if he was that good why he's not playing irrespective of player/manager relationship. The last think we need in the camp is an unsettling influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No but I think Pogba and Mkhitaryan are chalk and cheese. Of course if you're offered a world class player then you would potentially jump at it, but I don't class Mikh in that league. I'd also question if he was that good why he's not playing irrespective of player/manager relationship. The last think we need in the camp is an unsettling influence.

I don't think he's the kind of character that's a bad influence at all, seems much too passive for that and that imo is his biggest issue. He needed a rocket up his arse and clearly the rockets that Jose uses weren't working. Good player, wrong manager and wasn't able to motivate him. I'm not sure Wenger will be right either but it's a decent deal for all parties I think if you get him. At worst you can sell him for a good price next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wrighty gave an interesting angle on it yesterday saying that we weren't after Mikh before, so why are we now accepting him as part of a deal.

we did want him in the Summer, but he chose United. Wish Wrighty would support the club a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Still no word of anyone coming in to shore up our creaking defence. Typical.

Still no word of anyone coming in to shore up our creaking defence. Typical.
    If City sign Inigo Martinez than we have a straight shot at Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

greendom wrote: »
    we did want him in the Summer, but he chose United. Wish Wrighty would support the club a bit more.

I like him he speaks like a fan not an explayer, you can see he loves the club and it's hurting and frustrating for him to see the sorry state.

He's just one of us on the tele

If City sign Inigo Martinez than we have a straight shot at Evans.

I'd rather give Holding an extended run than bring Johnny Evans to the club. Most overrated defender I've ever seen in the EPL

greendom wrote: »

I don't think anyone in the world supports the club more than Wrighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If the deal didn't involve giving Sanchez to Utd, then Mkhi the other way (who still has a way to go on his contract) wouldn't be a terrible deal at all.

The problem is you're strengthening Utd, and the way Mourinho wants his team to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Its funny Sanchez isnt world class either
    The gap between Mkhitaryan and Sanchez isnt a chasm, i feel by the end of the season Arsenal will be more than happy with a motivated Mkhitrayan than a stroppy Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

irishman86 wrote: »
    The gap between Mkhitaryan and Sanchez isnt a chasm, i feel by the end of the season Arsenal will be more than happy with a motivated Mkhitrayan than a stroppy Sanchez

He doesn't sound too motivated to join us, if some reports are to be believed

Ah, he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

jester77 wrote: »

His agent’s posturing? Let’s be honest, nobody knows what’s really happening behind the scenes!

Statement from the Dortmund Sporting Director:

"We find it disrespectful to comment on players from other clubs. There is no contact with Arsenal. We assume that Arsene Wenger has enough to do to care about with the performance of his own players.”

Wenger didn't say anything though. Whys your man having such a strop

SlickRic wrote: »
    The problem is you're strengthening Utd, and the way Mourinho wants his team to play.

I would've though Sanchez constantly losing the ball goes against everything Mourinho looks for in a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

jester77 wrote: »

Only reason people say he doesn't wanna join us is because it's taking longer than expected as he wants his pay off from utd before joining, I remember people saying Özil wasn't really bothered about joining us as he attended Germany training before completing his medical. Poor journalists and utd supporters are the only ones pushing the he "he doesn't really wanna join" as they're afraid we'll end up with another mourinho outcast that turns good

• Advertisement

I'd rather give Holding an extended run than bring Johnny Evans to the club. Most overrated defender I've ever seen in the EPL
    I'd be wishing for an improvement on both.

I would've though Sanchez constantly losing the ball goes against everything Mourinho looks for in a player.
    He loses it because he tries to make things happen, to create. We had nobody else bar Ozil who could create.
    Sanchez could have played safe balls to players further out the field i.e. backwards but he tried to make things happen. He scored loads of goals for us too so don't forget that.
    He is a brilliant player who was playing in a very ordinary team.

That may be, but he still loses it a lot. That will drive Mou crazy. You’d nearly swear Utd we’re buying him to prevent city getting him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

No update on Sanchez/Mkhi deal

It has been all quiet on the Alexis Sanchez front since Arsene Wenger's comments this morning.

My understanding is Henrikh Mkhitaryan's agent Mino Raiola now holds the key to a double transfer between Manchester United and Arsenal reaching a speedy and successful conclusion.

For both players to be considered for respective weekend games - United are at Burnley on Saturday afternoon, Arsenal entertain Crystal Palace at the same time - they have to be registered by Friday at noon.

If they don't make it, Sanchez could feature in United's FA Cup fourth round tie - live on BBC One - at Yeovil next Friday. Mkhitaryan is cup tied, so his alternative debut is at Swansea on 30 January. - BBC Sport

emmetlego wrote: »
    That may be, but he still loses it a lot. That will drive Mou crazy. You’d nearly swear Utd we’re buying him to prevent city getting him!

He took responsibility. He is a brainy player. He probably thought that there's no point in passing it back to a full back who can't cross or into Iwobi or Wellbeck who'll more than likely fall over it. I'd say most of his passes were to Ozil if we study a game.

Mourinho will get the more out of him because they don't have as many donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

He loses it because he tries to make things happen, to create. We had nobody else bar Ozil who could create.
    Sanchez could have played safe balls to players further out the field i.e. backwards but he tried to make things happen. He scored loads of goals for us too so don't forget that.

Spot on Tayto.

Watch how jack will also lose the ball a fair bit too. It’s a risk of trying to make things happen.

Maybe we’ve accepted so much mediocrity over the years that some can’t see why Sanchez appears to lose the ball so often.

• Advertisement

Did you see us against Liverpool?? :pac:

No problem with a player having a low pass success rate in the final third if they're trying to make things happen as you say. Tom Cleverly had a great pass success rate for us but created not a damn thing.

What are yis on about?

He lost the ball by running into defenders and sloppy passing. You're being very generous saying he was trying to create, I don't know how many times moves broke down because of him doing one of these two things.

He lost the ball 37 times against Utd. Thats atrocious at any level. That's the highest in the premiership this season. Guess who's in 2nd place? Sanchez again with 36. Needless to say I disagree with the sentiment that it's forgivable just because he's creative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There is a very strange vibe of defending Sanchez at all costs and accusing anyone who points out his weak points as some kind of apologist for arsenal's recent demise.

He's a very good player. He will make united stronger and arsenal weaker. He also loses the ball far too often to be considered in the very top echelon of players and he does this from being brainless, not because he's trying to do everything by himself because his teammates are shít. That and his behaviour this season and even last was pretty poor, there's a reason the whole squad hates him. That doesn't mean I'm happy to see him go, just an honest appraisal of him from his time at Arsenal.

There is a very strange vibe of defending Sanchez at all costs and accusing anyone who points out his weak points as some kind of apologist for arsenal's recent demise.

He's a very good player. He will make united stronger and arsenal weaker. He also loses the ball far too often to be considered in the very top echelon of players and he does this from being brainless, not because he's trying to do everything by himself because his teammates are shít. That and his behaviour this season and even last was pretty poor, there's a reason the whole squad hates him. That doesn't mean I'm happy to see him go, just an honest appraisal of him from his time at Arsenal.

I'm not going to be hypocritical now just because we're looking sure to buy him. I know I've said it in RL and probably have said it here that I had lost a lot of respect for him in the last while with his behavior. It was really poor and I hope we don't see a repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Wenger didn't say anything though. Whys your man having such a strop

I'd imagine defence mechanism to keep the Dortmund fans happy. I wouldn't emjoy hearing or seeing a quality striker like him leave.

He lost the ball 37 times against Utd. Thats atrocious at any level. That's the highest in the premiership this season. Guess who's in 2nd place? Sanchez again with 36. Needless to say I disagree with the sentiment that it's forgivable just because he's creative!
    Then how did he get 80 goals for us in just over 3 seasons?
    Nobody comes near. Imagine if he had to have good players around him.
    I'd also bet that the next lad who comes in will not match those stats.
    Mourinho will settle for that even if he loses the ball 137 times a game.

Then how did he get 80 goals for us in just over 3 seasons?
    Nobody comes near. Imagine if he had to have good players around him.
    I'd also bet that the next lad who comes in will not match those stats.
    Mourinho will settle for that even if he loses the ball 137 times a game.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'd say if that form continued, Mourinho will blow a gasket as he sets out his teams to retain possession at all costs. Time will tell I guess.

Emmet, just FYI I'm quoting your post in the United thread to talk about it. Don't want to derail this thread but it's something I wouldn't agree with at all. Obvs more than welcome to come in and tell me I'm an idiot! :)

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'd say if that form continued, Mourinho will blow a gasket as he sets out his teams to retain possession at all costs. Time will tell I guess.
    His passing stats will improve because he will have better players around him who he will trust in, unlike when he was with us. He won't have to take as many risks.

His passing stats will improve because he will have better players around him who he will trust in, unlike when he was with us. He won't have to take as many risks.

He's been like this since he joined us. He was running into the opposition players the year we came second. In fact didn't his return from injury hamper us that year and cost us points. It's nothing about the players around him, He was doing the same thing at Barca. He just loses possession a LOT.

He's been like this since he joined us. He was running into the opposition players the year we came second. In fact didn't his return from injury hamper us that year and cost us points. It's nothing about the players around him, He was doing the same thing at Barca. He just loses possession a LOT.
    80 goals a lot though.

Jayop wrote: »
    Emmet, just FYI I'm quoting your post in the United thread to talk about it. Don't want to derail this thread but it's something I wouldn't agree with at all. Obvs more than welcome to come in and tell me I'm an idiot! :)

Some things are self explanatory! :D :pac:

Aubameyang withdrawn from the Dortmund squad for their game tomorrow. :O

Some things are self explanatory! :D :pac:

Fact haha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement