Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

80 goals a lot though.

Giroud has 105 in just two more seasons, and we've all called him a donkey at one stage or another. It's good going, but no outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Alan smith saying he hears that Ozil is close to signing a new contract

Sanchez is a great player, but the only stat he leads the league in since joining it, is number of times possession lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Quazzie wrote: »
    Giroud has 105 in just two more seasons, and we've all called him a donkey at one stage or another. It's good going, but no outstanding

For someone who isn't a striker? It is outstanding. Yes he lost the ball a lot, yes he's class. High risk high reward.

105/249 = 0.42
    80/165 = 0.48
    The lower one is a striker, though hard to know with sub appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Auba is the striker I have been wanting to sign for the past few years and was hoping for him over laca in the summer. Was also a big fan of mikhy at dortmund - he has not gone well at united but Im interested to see how he does away from mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Alan smith saying he hears that Ozil is close to signing a new contract

Oh, please, please, please.

Need to keep him.

Aubameyang withdrawn from the Dortmund squad for their game tomorrow. :O

Big if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Giroud was always played as a CF though. Sanchez wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I genuinely expected nothing from this window , but the real possibilty of keeping Ozil , Wilshire , Getting rid of Walcott , Coquelin and Sanchez (who was never staying)

and possibly signing Mihkitaryan and Aubameyang

Its career mode in Fifa Type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Big if true

Dortmund Sporting director Michael Zorc on decision to leave Aubameyang out: "He’s practicing in Dortmund, we felt, that he is not a 100 Percent with his mind focused. We’ll see, if this will help him. It’s a difficult situation.” #afc

https://twitter.com/sjstandardsport/status/954035579683069952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Wenger didn't say anything though. Whys your man having such a strop

The Dortmund striker has been heavily linked with a move to Arsenal and Wenger, asked about the Gabon international’s character, said: “Yes, a character can be very positive or very negative. Overall you look at achievement over career and if he has done well the character has been used in a positive way.”

☀️

The Dortmund striker has been heavily linked with a move to Arsenal and Wenger, asked about the Gabon international’s character, said: “Yes, a character can be very positive or very negative. Overall you look at achievement over career and if he has done well the character has been used in a positive way.”

I saw that but imo it's not a reason to have such a fanny bang on twitter about it. It'd be different if Wenger said yeah it's all sorted, we have him no bother lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Asked about any deal for the Gabon international, Wenger said: "This kind of thing is better when it's secret and when you don't comment before announcing it when it's over the line.

"Would he fit in? Yes, because character can be a very positive note and negative - but overall you look at the achievement of a player over his career.

"When it's been positive the character has been used in a positive way."

..the full quote. I'd guess it's the first part they took umbrage with.

Still think it's mild enough tbh but they need a reason to show it's the players fault and not theirs

Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang will greatly soften the blow of losing Sanchez who to be honest, conducted himself somewhat unprofessionally this past year whether he is a winner or not.

Jack and Ozil signing on would be an even bigger plus. Part of me wonders whether we are finally beginning to create a transition period.

It would seem that the new German scout Sven seems to have had big influence on these two signings. Id have little faith in things changing on the pitch as long as AW is overseeing the team because he is adamant that the defence must play high up and the ball must be snails pace which leaves us very vulnerable to pressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-12

Hey guys here's this weeks podcast thanks a million to those who sent in questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang will greatly soften the blow of losing Sanchez who to be honest, conducted himself somewhat unprofessionally this past year whether he is a winner or not.

Jack and Ozil signing on would be an even bigger plus. Part of me wonders whether we are finally beginning to create a transition period.

It would seem that the new German scout Sven seems to have had big influence on these two signings. Id have little faith in things changing on the pitch as long as AW is overseeing the team because he is adamant that the defence must play high up and the ball must be snails pace which leaves us very vulnerable to pressing
    Seems big decisions are been taken away from wenger.

This is the start of phasing him out I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

We can but hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

emmetlego wrote: »
    Mourinho will blow a gasket as he sets out his teams to retain possession at all costs

Have you watched us at all under JM?

That's not how we set up at all.

In the last 6 games in the league we have had on average 53% possession, Id imagine over the course of the season it will be in or around that figure also.

We are happy to let other teams have the ball and try and catch them on the break.

Id imagine he was given the new deal conditionally and is more or less a stop gap at this stage. We are told a two year deal during the summer but there could be a conditional review at the end of this season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

BBC’s @garyalsmith report that Auba has agreed terms with #AFC and was promised big strengthening in summer. He was willing to take a pay-cut to join.

How do players still fall for this each time they sign for arsenal!!!

I wonder will any new player be signed before Saturday?
    We are low on numbers now.
    I hear there's a protest march from Highbury to the Emirates before the Palace game too. A few signings might put a damper on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I wonder will any new player be signed before Saturday?
    We are low on numbers now.
    I hear there's a protest march from Highbury to the Emirates before the Palace game too. A few signings might put a damper on that.

Wenger talking so openly today about transfers broke his 20+ year year long approach. My initial thoughts where great something is happening but to me it smelt of fear of the backlash that will come Saturday inside the stadium.

The talking today was trying to limit that

Soups123 wrote: »
    Wenger talking so openly today about transfers broke his 20+ year year long approach. My initial thoughts where great something is happening but to me it smelt of fear of the backlash that will come Saturday inside the stadium.

The talking today was trying to limit that
    Pressure finally getting to him i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How do players still fall for this each time they sign for arsenal!!!

It catches me out too if I'm being honest :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Even though I know better, its just that signing big players is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Pressure finally getting to him i'd say.

Could be losing his grip inside the club it seems and some of his staunchest supporters are jumping fence, he can feel it coming down around him, a spending spree and a shipping out is his last hurrah

Soups123 wrote: »
    Could be losing his grip inside the club it seems and some of his staunchest supporters are jumping fence, he can feel it coming down around him, a spending spree and a shipping out is his last hurrah
    We will live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

emmetlego wrote: »
    We can but hope!

An upgrade on my quote? @tayto lover?

It's the hope that kills you really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Question lads - in general in the UK media, are wages reported pre or post tax? Having an argument here and I always assumed they're reported pre-tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

They are reported with tax added to make it sound as insanely high as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see Alan Smith has told SSN that sources close to the club have told him Ozil is very close to signing a new contract. i think he's key to the new formation along with a fit Wilshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I think re-signing Ozil is the best signing we could make this transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Seems to be concern between what Ozil is being offered and what's now on the table for Mkhi .....is this ever straightforward :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Seems to be concern between what Ozil is being offered and what's now on the table for Mkhi .....is this ever straightforward :rolleyes:

So its basically a mickey waving contest... FFS:mad: Its simple, dont tell any incoming players what Ozil or anyone else earns.... its not rocket science FFS.

I always suspect that players, just like us in the real world dont go around comparing payslips so its all media hyped garbage IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Update from Ornacle

No significant developments are expected today on moves surrounding Alexis Sanchez and Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

There is still work to be done and currently the Mkhitaryan deal has not moved on and could yet go either way.

Arsenal, however, remain hopeful on that and their pursuit of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Talks on both situations continue.

Arsenal’s attempts to sign Malcom are over. Meetings were held but he was eventually deemed too inexperienced by Wenger. - BBC Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Update from Ornacle

No significant developments are expected today on moves surrounding Alexis Sanchez and Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

There is still work to be done and currently the Mkhitaryan deal has not moved on and could yet go either way.

Arsenal, however, remain hopeful on that and their pursuit of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Talks on both situations continue.

Arsenal’s attempts to sign Malcom are over. Meetings were held but he was eventually deemed too inexperienced by Wenger. - BBC Sport

Sanchez should go straight into the team for the Palace game so.

After all the talk yesterday, I had foolishly hope that old man Wenger hadn't as much power as that anymore.

I just can't wait for him to be gone from the club before he destroys it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

keano_afc wrote: »

I read that he was training with Academy lads...So he isn't in the Squad for the game I guess.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »

Nah, leave him out. No point sending him to our opposition match fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

After all the talk yesterday, I had foolishly hope that old man Wenger hadn't as much power as that anymore.

Don't worry. Time is moving forward. He'll be gone in the summer of 2019 at the very latest and then a new era will be begin.

DenMan wrote: »
    Don't worry. Time is moving forward. He'll be gone in the summer of 2019 at the very latest and then a new era will be begin.

The conversation should be going like this.

Arsene Wenger: I need an attacking player, who's out there.
    Sven Mislintat: I think Malcolm will be exactly what you're looking for
    AW: Brilliant, Can we get him in
    SM: I've asked and they said they'll sell to us, but he's a lot of money
    AW: He'll improve my attacking options a lot
    SM: I'll make it happen/It couldn't happen.

The money side of it, shouldn't be any concern to Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Quite funny considering he has made a career out of signing inexperienced players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Malcom linked with Spurs this morning.

Interesting piece* here on why Walcott was finally out of flavour. Worrying and very revealing if there is any truth to it.

*I'm aware SportsJoe is a piece of ****, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

A player shouldn't be fcuked over like that for telling the truth. It shouldn't come as a surprise though, Wenger does seem the type who is stubborn and once he decides on something then its set in stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Interesting piece* here on why Walcott was finally out of flavour. Worrying and very revealing if there is any truth to it.

*I'm aware SportsJoe is a piece of ****, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Eh?

I wanted Theo gone after he, as captain, said "They just wanted it more". That was a ridiculous thing to a) say at all, and b) admit you knew this from the start of the game, but failed to do anything about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mikhi not in United's squad for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

greendom wrote: »
    mikhi not in United's squad for tomorrow

Don't think he's been in for a while

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Eh?

I wanted Theo gone after he, as captain, said "They just wanted it more". That was a ridiculous thing to a) say at all, and b) admit you knew this from the start of the game, but failed to do anything about.

Jaysis you will always find a way to defend Wenger. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement