Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You should say Premier League teams if you mean them, other teams exist.

Look, if you and Mick are going to come in here with crap arguments, then don't expect much back. "Why would he want to go to City" (ask him, he did), "Nobody in for him" "Oh I meant nobody from this subset"......awful crap lads.

Crap arguments? I have made my points about how joining winning team didn't always ends up better for players and then there are more players to add to that argument, but then you are busy to nitpick rather than the actual argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

The argument boils down to this. Arsenal fans need to accept he left because he saw us as a sinking ship and would not meet his wage demands. United fans need to accept that he picked United over City because of the money on offer. Stop codding yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The argument boils down to this. Arsenal fans need to accept he left because he saw us as a sinking ship and would not meet his wage demands. United fans need to accept that he picked United over City because of the money on offer. Stop codding yourselves.
    And therein lies the truth. A lot of rubbish and untruths have been said recently.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42787167

Plus to dispel the myths and rumours

http://bbcmundo.com/sport/football/42753339

Anyway he's gone now so we'll move on. Hope the new players strengthen the squad but we have still neglected the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's exactly it. I don't blame him in the slightest for going to United, we're not in the CL and don't look like getting in this season at all, plus like Wenger says it's his last big contract.

And therein lies the truth. A lot of rubbish and untruths have been said recently.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42787167

Plus to dispel the myths and rumours

http://bbcmundo.com/sport/football/42753339

Anyway he's gone now so we'll move on. Hope the new players strengthen the squad but we have still neglected the defence.

I remember watching that interview with Coq last week. His accent is messed up, it's like a mix of French and that urban London accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Honestly, if everyone just accepted this, it would save a hell of lot of unnecessary arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hope the new players strengthen the squad but we have still neglected the defence.

Couldn't agree more, with the exception of an odd rumour for Evans, I'm hearing very little of strengthening the defence and that's a worry. Great to have fire power, but a waste if we are going it leak it at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I think you might find...

TBF maybe Sanchez.....

Tbf my posts....
    Tbf only trying have a reasonable discussion.

Why is it whenever someone comes into another thread with repeated "I think maybe"s and "to be fair"s they're spouting rubbish that is completely one sided.

To be fair I'm going to gush about Sanchez, call him the best thing since sliced bread and Arsenal are awful for everything they've ever done for him. Yeah... fair.
    Utd have won trophies nearly every year since Fergie left.

Seen this one trotted out fairly regularly too. He left five years ago and in that time you've won an FA Cup, a League Cup and the Europa League in two of those five seasons, spending €566m net on players (excluding Sanchez) to try and arrest the slide. Take off the rose tinted glasses and you may notice your not actually favourites to win anything this year either.

Still, I'm sure the 400k a week will soften the hurt for him, the petal. Martial and Rashford though...

Couldn't agree more, with the exception of an odd rumour for Evans, I'm hearing very little of strengthening the defence and that's a worry. Great to have fire power, but a waste if we are going it leak it at the back.
    Yep. Like building a good house, if the foundations are weak then cracks and subsidence will appear. Our foundations are weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I may be the only one here wishing arsenal still fail really badly this season.

Why?

If we finish mid table and not win Europe league. Then wenger could be sacked. His the biggest person we need to have gotten rid of. Not Sanchez Walcot etc

• Advertisement

Yep. Like building a good house, if the foundations are weak then cracks and subsidence will appear. Our foundations are weak.

Speaking of defence, I was reading earlier that Szczesny has kept 10 clean sheets in his first 14 appearances at Juve. Fastest ever to that mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Why?

If we finish mid table and not win Europe league. Then wenger could be sacked. His the biggest person we need to have gotten rid of. Not Sanchez Walcot etc

I hope you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Call me a cynic, but its almost like the board have let Mislintat loose with sorting out the midfield and forwards and appeased Wenger by letting himself and Bould sort out the defence :rolleyes:

• 2ndcoming wrote: »
    To be fair I'm going to gush about Sanchez, call him the best thing since sliced bread and Arsenal are awful for everything they've ever done for him. Yeah... fair.

Not sure how you got to that conclusion. I questioned someone who said this.

"Not one arsenal player wished Sanchez good luck on social media. They all pretty much did when Theo left. Shows what they thought of him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Call me a cynic, but its almost like the board have let Mislintat loose with sorting out the midfield and forwards and appeased Wenger by letting himself and Bould sort out the defence :rolleyes:

Yeah i'm calling you a cynic on that one. World class strikers are very hard to come by, Arsenal have still not properly replaced Van Persie and he left 6 years ago.

In a market where decent players are being quoted at 80m+, if there's a chance to bring in Auba for the price City are paying for fullbacks i don't blame the new transfer team.

All the problems in the squad were never going to be fixed in 1 window, and anyway who's going to be looking to get rid of a top class cb in January?

The defence & especially midfield needs work in the summer, hopefully it'll be addressed then.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/955787616229773312

Mkhitaryan gets shirt #7. I wonder what number Aubameyang will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Basil3 wrote: »

Mkhitaryan gets shirt #7.  I wonder what number Aubameyang will get.
    Apparently he will get a Chelsea Jersey. Rumors flying around in Germany that in last hour Chelsea have made an offer for him matching their asking price (70mil), which Arsenal were unwilling to pay. Thankfully only another week to go of this Transfer shenanigans.

DubDani wrote: »
    Apparently he will get a Chelsea Jersey. Rumors flying around in Germany that in last hour Chelsea have made an offer for him matching their asking price (70mil), which Arsenal were unwilling to pay. Thankfully only another week to go of this Transfer shenanigans.

Disappointing if true .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Is Wenger a secret supporter of Man Utd's, first Van Persie, now Sanchez, FFS. How much were Coty going to pay Arsenal for Sanchez, I think Arsenal would have been well advised to take money and buy a player of their own choosing, I get that in 6 months they get nothing for him but to do a deal with Utd, that sucks. BTW any evidence that Arsenal are looking for a teplacement for Wenger, if not they should be.

greendom wrote: »

Why?

I hope you are
    Could you tell us another way of getting rid of Wenger then?

• Advertisement

Is Wenger a secret supporter of Man Utd's, first Van Persie, now Sanchez, FFS. How much were Coty going to pay Arsenal for Sanchez, I think Arsenal would have been well advised to take money and buy a player of their own choosing, I get that in 6 months they get nothing for him but to do a deal with Utd, that sucks. BTW any evidence that Arsenal are looking for a teplacement for Wenger, if not they should be.

Well the risk there is that he would have walked to United as they would likely have laid out an even bigger sign for him than City. It's a good bit of business from a fans perspective because let's be real, the 30 million wouldn't have been reinvested this January. As fans, we want to see players coming in, not cheques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Mkhitaryan gets shirt #7. I wonder what number Aubameyang will get.

Would he take the 14 shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Don’t see anything on twitter about Chelsea... Just a weird rule about Micky not being allowed wear the number 7 jersey in EL because we had a player already in that number Jersey in the competition. Bizarre!

Shure didn't he buy Silvestre and Welbeck from them. All his dealings with United have been spot on :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

So it seems like Mkhitaryan will wear a different number for Europa League matches :P

https://www.arsenal.com/news/why-mkhitaryan-wont-wear-no-7-europa-league

I didn't even know such rules existed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Speaking of defence, I was reading earlier that Szczesny has kept 10 clean sheets in his first 14 appearances at Juve. Fastest ever to that mark.

Ah but sure didn't he smoke a fag in the dressing room that time. I said it at the time and il say it again, it was madness selling him to Juve. We're going to be on the lookout for a keeper in the not too distant future and they are hard to come by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Alright lads its that time of the week I want your questions for this week's podcast where me and Jamie will be chatting to a Liverpool Supporter (perfect timing i might add) and former under age football coach

But we'll be going over the weekends game with Palace, Tommorow nights game with chelsea

The Transfer dealings of the club so far and the changes in how things are been done including the Mihki-Sanchez stuff

as well as a bunch of other stuff :)

emmetlego wrote: »
    Don’t see anything on twitter about Chelsea... Just a weird rule about Micky not being allowed wear the number 7 jersey in EL because we had a player already in that number Jersey in the competition. Bizarre!
    5star02707 wrote: »
    So it seems like Mkhitaryan will wear a different number for Europa League matches :P

Cough cough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It was a f*cking stupid celebration.

Jesus, just remind me of that if he goes to Dortmund. It'll soften the blow considerably.

Funnily enough I remember it a bit diferrently. Didn't Giroud get 2 assists and a goal that day? And wasn't it Ox telling him to get back not Sanchez? Does that mean Ox has more ambition than Giroud and Sanchez? And where did he go?

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Funnily enough I remember it a bit diferrently. Didn't Giroud get 2 assists and a goal that day? And wasn't it Ox telling him to get back not Sanchez? Does that mean Ox has more ambition than Giroud and Sanchez? And where did he go?

You're right. Ox grabbed the ball and tried to pull him back, Perez and Monreal signalled to get back to the halfway line. Sanchez 'glared'. (Obviously it was a very ambitious glare).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4086900/Olivier-Giroud-manages-annoy-Arsenal-fans-despite-scoring-late-equaliser-Bournemouth.html

You're right. Ox grabbed the ball and tried to pull him back, Perez and Monreal signalled to get back to the halfway line. Sanchez 'glared'. (Obviously it was a very ambitious glare).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4086900/Olivier-Giroud-manages-annoy-Arsenal-fans-despite-scoring-late-equaliser-Bournemouth.html
    Alexis Sanchez certainly seemed to think so, with the Chilean throwing a motherly glare at the striker as he pranced towards the away supporters performing a routine that merged Gene Kelly and Basil Fawlty in one uncomfortable bundle.

There's the quote. Sanchez not pleased with Giroud at all.

Alexis Sanchez certainly seemed to think so, with the Chilean throwing a motherly glare at the striker as he pranced towards the away supporters performing a routine that merged Gene Kelly and Basil Fawlty in one uncomfortable bundle.

There's the quote. Sanchez not pleased with Giroud at all.

Is there an echo here? :D

Oh, I just said glare instead of motherly glare? Sorry.

Is there an echo here? :D

Oh, I just said glare instead of motherly glare? Sorry.
    You were never given a "motherly" glare then? You'd notice the difference. :D

You were never given a "motherly" glare then? You'd notice the difference. :D

I try to avoid eye contact with anyone. Probably helps :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Utd fan here, hoping Mkhitaryan does really well for ye (just not in two games a year ha). He is a top player and really classy with a very unexpected bust of pace. Was really hoping it would work out a bit better for him at Utd, thought he ahd an excellent second half of last season and a good opening to this one (something like 5 assists in first 4 games) but over last 3 months has looked a player totally shot of any confidence. Think he will come good again with a change of scenery and prove a top player for ye. Good luck for rest of season.

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »

I love how they call Alexis "our former forward" in this piece, not even a name check.

Well they did say Alexis about 5 words before that. Would have been a bit redundant to write it again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Bild reporting tonight that we've upped our Auba bid... by €3m.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/germany-arsenal-increase-pierre-emerick-aubameyang-e3m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why not just go close to the fcuking price. Dortmund want 70 million, we go 50. They say no and we go 55. They say no again and we go 58. Sure everyone knows that Dortmund are going to refuse until its someway close to their evaluation. At least show them some respect and start at 60 and put forward a good case. We seem to be one of the only clubs that make the transfer process such a long drawn out ordeal with the sh1tty lowballing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

wonga77 wrote: »
    Why not just go close to the fcuking price. Dortmund want 70 million, we go 50. They say no and we go 55. They say no again and we go 58. Sure everyone knows that Dortmund are going to refuse until its someway close to their evaluation. At least show them some respect and start at 60 and put forward a good case. We seem to be one of the only clubs that make the transfer process such a long drawn out ordeal with the sh1tty lowballing
    I find these posts baffling. We haven't a clue whats going on, lets stop pretending we do and getting outraged over what we think is happening. You'll probably be happier for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wonga77 wrote: »

Showing them respect is one thing...

I would argue the sooner we get him in the team & settled, the sooner he'll start scoring, and we win more games.

In other words having him for two extra games could be the difference between us getting 4th (and the millions that go with it, if that's what you're into) and missing out.

Plus we have f*ckin Spurs again soon enough. He'll need as many games as possible to click with Ozil etc.

JUST F*CKIN COUGH UP SO WE CAN GET ON WITH THE REST OF THE SEASON.

What is the point in saying the Sanchez situation caused uncertainty in the squad, and the perpatuating more uncertainty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah lads teams negotiate. This isn't an Arsenal penny pinching thing. Give it more than 2 days like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I agree meet them halfway and get it done ffs, at least then they might still have time to sort out this proposed defender that's rumoured get it done so we can get on with the rest of this season

Julien Laurens claiming that Giroud's wife could be key to the deal, which he claims would go through for €60m + Giroud on loan til the summer.

The wife not too keen to swap London for Dortmund though.

Well they did say Alexis about 5 words before that. Would have been a bit redundant to write it again...

Brain fart on my behalf, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Ah lads teams negotiate. This isn't an Arsenal penny pinching thing. Give it more than 2 days like?

Seems Arsenal negotiations are public though...sometimes I wish we'd just give them the money and get the player..
    I mean it's not as if we are short of a few bob.

Hope your right about penny pinching and this time I think you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Julien Laurens claiming that Giroud's wife could be key to the deal, which he claims would go through for €60m + Giroud on loan til the summer.

The wife not too keen to swap London for Dortmund though.

She blocked the last move to Everton too didn't she?
    I guess Ollie is under the thumb after he was caught playing away a while back.

L'prof wrote: »
    why is that?

As stated above, Aubameyang can’t play in the Europa League because Dortmund are now in it. Makes no sense to anyone I’ve talked to but them’s the rules!
    Apparently there's no issue in Mkhitaryan playing in the EL for us as he's coming from United who are not involved in that competition.

Aubamayang on the other hand won't be able to play as Dortmund are now in the EL, despite the fact they haven't played a game in it yet. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me as he's not "cup tied" in the traditional sense of the term but that's how it works as far as I know.
    yea but Dortmound hasnt kicked a ball un the EL yet?

its 70m in euros they want or pounds? if 70 euros, 50m in punds they offered aint far off?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement