Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rodders999

I was only looking at the Ligue 1 goal stats the other day (I'm a saddo) and was shocked to see that Mbappe has only 9 goals so far this season.

And that's with him playing in by far the best team in what essentially is an extremely weak league - Cavani has 20 goals already which is a joke. Now I'm not writing off the lad, he's barely started his career but there was a massive amount of hype about him at Monaco in what was essentially his break out season so he's a wait and see as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rodders999 wrote: »
    I was only looking at the Ligue 1 goal stats the other day (I'm a saddo) and was shocked to see that Mbappe has only 9 goals so far this season.

And that's with him playing in by far the best team in what essentially is an extremely weak league - Cavani has 20 goals already which is a joke. Now I'm not writing off the lad, he's barely started his career but there was a massive amount of hype about him at Monaco in what was essentially his break out season so he's a wait and see as far as I'm concerned.

He's been on the wing and has a ton of assists. He's playing really well from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mbappe is the furthest thing from wait and see. Watch him play, hes incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rodders999 wrote: »

he's just turned 19. Huge weight put on his shoulders. He has to share goal scoring duties with the much more established Neymar and Cavani. This also means he rarely plays central. He is keeping the likes of Di Maria and Lucas Moura out of the first team. This guy is going to be a World beater.

Not sure there are too many 17/18 year olds with 10 goals in the Champions League.

He's been on the wing and has a ton of assists. He's playing really well from what I've seen.

Yeah and as I say I'm not writing him off but when you see the likes of Mad Mario already on 12 goals for a mediocre Nice side it tells you all you need to know about the overall quality of that league.

I take your point about him being played on he wing though, however I was still surprised to see he'd only managed to bag 9 goals out of PSG's 68 so far in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Sorry rodders, you're on your own with that opinion. I've watched him a few times this season, he is sensational, and one of the reasons they have such a high goal tally so far, he's pulling defences asunder!

Just expressing a word of caution on the lad is all.....remember both Giroud and Lacazette won the golden boot in Ligue 1 in recent seasons......just sayin' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Interesting piece on Talksport, some guy (allegedly with contacts ahem :rolleyes:) saying that the sticking point on the Auba deal is that Arsenal want a wholly cash deal and hold onto Giroud whereas Dortmund are pushing the price in an attempt to get Giroud included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Last call for questions on tonight's podcast guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Interesting piece on Talksport, some guy (allegedly with contacts ahem :rolleyes:) saying that the sticking point on the Auba deal is that Arsenal want a wholly cash deal and hold onto Giroud whereas Dortmund are pushing the price in an attempt to get Giroud included.

I hope giroud doesn't go. He's a great aerial threat. Although Monreal seems to have taken on this role and has been excellent the last few games. I pity Lacazette. Not seeing his potential. Last night there were 2 on him and difficult to score but albeit lucky he set up the second goal. Not always a fan of ozil but he looked a world class player last night. Good at making room for himself and some great passing. Just missing another creative player to feed the ball into lacazette. On a side note, Marcos Alonso looked like a young David hasselhoff with his hair do.

• Advertisement

I'm not worried about Laccazette at all. Last night he was up against the best defence in the premier league and while he found it tough, he never stopped and eventually (luckily too, granted) got an assist. His overall play and link up play has been very good all season, yes I know he's had a dry patch, as all strikers do, but I think he's a real baller.

And I thought Monreal probably deserved his MOTM, but for me, the classiest player on the pitch was Ozil. He's banished the "doesn't play well against the top teams" tag. He was sublime last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This should be a very simple deal. Giroud needs regular games in a WC year, which he won't get unless we loan him out. Maybe the rumours about his wife being opposed to moving from London are true.

This should be a very simple deal. Giroud needs regular games in a WC year, which he won't get unless we loan him out. Maybe the rumours about his wife being opposed to moving from London are true.

I suspect as a cash deal this would have been done a while ago, but Dortmund have made it clear enough that they want Giroud as part of the deal. So its either that Arsenal don't want Giroud included, or Giroud doesn't want to go (or both) and I feel Dortmund are just upping the price to force Arsenal into a corner. Talk now that the final deal may involve a loan deal for Giroud rather than a transfer which could work for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We're not getting aubamayang.

We're never gonna offer what the club want, IF we do the lads a mercenary, he was fishing for a move to china or one of the Arab emirates last year, that makes him worse than a van Persie, worse than a nasri and even worse than Adebayor.

He's money mad, what's he gonna be paid at Arsenal...half what united/city/psg will pay is what. An absolute mercenary if ever I saw one of the same ilk as Pogba. Just using the media circus to his advantage. He an just ride out his contract like Sanchez and go for free to one of those clubs for double wages. It's not happening. He's not moving for football reasons.

He's never joining.

Quote me on this 1st of Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Nothing like a good win to get the positive vibes flowing :p

German press seem to think Auba deal has stalled, could collapse: http://sportwitness.co.uk/germany-auba-arsenal-stalled-bvb-increasingly-angry-english-club/

We had this handed to us on a plate. Same old, same old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

German press seem to think Auba deal has stalled, could collapse: http://sportwitness.co.uk/germany-auba-arsenal-stalled-bvb-increasingly-angry-english-club/

We had this handed to us on a plate. Same old, same old.

I said something similar 2 nights ago and was told to relax. Just pay the fee and get it done. Or at the very least go close to the valuation that Dortmund have set. The board have no problem ripping off fans every week with the ticket prices but are very miserly in the market. It appears that no other club is in for Aubameyang so your right, this is being handed to us on a plate and they seem to still be making hard work of it

Well, with no definitive news today, you could safely say this has collapsed. But I’ll wait until end of day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well if it doesn't go through then both clubs will be happy.
    One club doesn't want to sell, the other doesn't want to spend.

We are not giving them a chance to get in a replacement anyway, we were too late coming to the table.

If it doesn't go through then we are weaker than ever with 3 players, 1 world class, leaving and only 1 good player coming in.

• Advertisement

The lads on AFTV crack me up sometimes. One of them referred to Sanchez leaving as Alexit! Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Seriously a joke we sell our best goal scorer and replaced him with a united reject.

Hating the club more and more everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Seriously a joke we sell our best goal scorer and replaced him with a united reject.

Hating the club more and more everyday.

U ok hun? xoxoxox

Ok, now that Dortmund are seemingly annoyed at our glacial negotiations, so am I. Get it done ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Quazzie wrote: »
    U ok hun? xoxoxox

Pm me chix xxx

Quazzie wrote: »
    U ok hun? xoxoxox

For a few days there I was seriously worried about the positivity running through this thread, such a relief to see we are back to our depressed downtrodden state :D Phew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It'll happen lads relax

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Thought sead was looking chunkier than usual last night; has he put on weight or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It'll happen lads relax

B...but that report...on "Sportwitness". It's all over!

*sobs*

It'll happen lads relax

I think everything is being done to make it happen, but I honestly believe the issue is Giroud and whether he wants to move. His wife allegedly was behind him not moving to Everton. BVB are throwing a ridiculous figure at Arsenal, 70 mill ?, which they know we wont (and shouldn't pay) because they want Giroud in some form so trying to force us into a corner and then throwing 'angry club' statements ate the press.

Loan deal would work as he will get WC football and we hopefully will get him back, but if Mrs G says no, then I think its on wobbly ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is 31st the last day of this drama? This transfer window should be removed altogether... once a year is enough to deal with this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

x PyRo wrote: »
    There’s a few sly digs aimed at Alexis in a lot of the players social media. Very noticeable how many of them wished him well too (1), unlike Theo and Coq who were smothered with affection by nearly all the players. Looks like he really was a divisive character.

And before we get the “he’s different because he’s a winner”, remember, there are a few guys in that dressing room that are World Cup winners, and they are very respected in that dressing room.

Elneny looking like your man from Rage Against The Machine in that picture:D

emmetlego wrote: »
    There’s a few sly digs aimed at Alexis in a lot of the players social media. Very noticeable how many of them wished him well too (1), unlike Theo and Coq who were smothered with affection by nearly all the players. Looks like he really was a divisive character.

And before we get the “he’s different because he’s a winner”, remember, there are a few guys in that dressing room that are World Cup winners, and they are very respected in that dressing room.

Yeah it's interesting alright. Did any player actually post a good luck message to Sanchez?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Yeah it's interesting alright. Did any player actually post a good luck message to Sanchez?

Mustafi I think, but struggling to find others...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Mustafi I think, but struggling to find others...

I dont think mustafi did. Not on his twitter or Insta anyhow

I don'r believe Sanchez will miss most of them anyway. They weren't up to his standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I don'r believe Sanchez will miss most of them anyway. They weren't up to his standard.
    They were all rubbish and deserved to be booted rather then Sanchez

They were all rubbish and deserved to be booted rather then Sanchez

As Mourinho said there on tv, "if you want the best, you go and buy the best".

He bought Mikhitarian, right?

• Advertisement

I'm interested in this.

As we don't know what exactly went on in the dressing room, we can just speculate. However, especially in team sport, there is no one player bigger than the team, that is a given IMO. If he was as destructive to team spirit as is being suggested, then no matter how good a player he was, he is no good to the unit. To borrow a phrase, one player, does not a team make.

Look, we all saw how brilliant this lad was for us, but there were times when he made obvious decisions to not pass to certain players in better positions than him. Even if they were most likely to hit it wide etc, surely a team player would occasionally pick out Ramsey or whoever instead of ignoring them (I picked Ramsey as he was the most obvious that he ignored).

Again, all pretty speculative, because none of us were actually in the dressing room. But if it is as we suspect, then I'm glad to see the back of him!

Oh, I meant to add, I saw it reported that Mustafi had wished him well, but cannot see it anywhere on his social pages. Maybe he did, then removed it... More speculation!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    He bought Mikhitarian, right?

No.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'm interested in this.

As we don't know what exactly went on in the dressing room, we can just speculate. However, especially in team sport, there is no one player bigger than the team, that is a given IMO. If he was as destructive to team spirit as is being suggested, then no matter how good a player he was, he is no good to the unit. To borrow a phrase, one player, does not a team make.

Look, we all saw how brilliant this lad was for us, but there were times when he made obvious decisions to not pass to certain players in better positions than him. Even if they were most likely to hit it wide etc, surely a team player would occasionally pick out Ramsey or whoever instead of ignoring them (I picked Ramsey as he was the most obvious that he ignored).

Again, all pretty speculative, because none of us were actually in the dressing room. But if it is as we suspect, then I'm glad to see the back of him!

Oh, I meant to add, I saw it reported that Mustafi had wished him well, but cannot see it anywhere on his social pages. Maybe he did, then removed it... More speculation!
    Apparently the wee disagreement started in the dressingroom after a match at Crystal Palace where Sanchez made some gestures towards certain players during the game who he felt were letting themselves be easily pushed about by Palace. They took exception to him and expressed their feelings and he had his say. Maybe the manager should have been doing the the shouting from the sideline.

Mustafi did post something on insta alright. It's interesting if he did remove it. I was reading earlier that sanchez didn't get on with Ramsey and Giroud in particular. Even when the likes of van Persie left I don't think there was any badwill from players. The next meeting of the 2 teams will tell alot as the media seem to have picked up on it

MurDawg wrote: »
    No.

Who did then?

As I understand it, he took over in May, Mkitarian signed in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

He knows how to sell the best too, De Bruyne, Salah, Mata etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

According to Sky Giroud is going nowhere in the window.

Just means we have to stump up the cash for Aubameyang.

j14 wrote: »

The deal is dead. Clearly an Arsenal source letting Dortmund know that we won't do a swap deal, and we won't go near their valuation. So it's dead.

He knows how to sell the best too, De Bruyne, Salah, Mata etc.

Maybe the other players weren't getting along with them.
    Wish we had bought some of them like KDB.

• Advertisement

j14 wrote: »

Which is why the fee was crazy as BVB wanted Giroud. If Mrs G wasnt going to Everton she wasn't going to Dortmund.

I'd say it's £60m or deal over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement