Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think? Is EA selling us short?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

kaymin wrote: »
    Who says there is no chance? The property was put on the market a couple of months ago not many months ago. It has had the promotion of an EA for only one week. Personally I would like to give the promotion by the EA a little longer than a week before closing it off especially as EAs are known to act in their own self interest.

If the highest bidder is unwilling to wait a month then that is an important consideration.

Do you understand this very simple concept?:

The op is not obligated to sell at the price offered, he/she can turn it down and wait for another higher offer if he/she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

davo10 wrote: »
    Do you understand this very simple concept?:

The op is not obligated to sell at the price offered, he/she can turn it down and wait for another higher offer if he/she wants.

Full marks for stating the obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

kaymin wrote: »
    Full marks for stating the obvious

But seemingly not obvious enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

davo10 wrote: »
    But seemingly not obvious enough.

Enough of your straw man arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Op, if you have reached a figure you are happy to sell for there is no reason to keep it on the market any longer. By doing this you risk losing the only bidder that has bid over asking since you advertised months ago. If I was the bidder and you told me you wanted to leave it on the market another month I'd withdraw my offer and oook elsewhere. I bought my house 10 years ago. I made my bid (€5000 below asking), they made a counter offer (only €1,000 more than my bid). I accepted on the basis that they withdraw the property from the market immediately. If they had said we want to see what else comes in I would have pulled out. This was the day after the house went on the market. Think carefully about the downsides compared to the small upside of maybe getting an extra grand or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

When you are selling a house there comes a moment in the process when you have to accept an offer. It may not be what you wanted, or have been led to believe you could achieve. In that case you leave the house on the market in the hope that another bidder comes along & starts a bidding war with the first bidder.
    Or you stall on making a decision for another week or two just to satisfy yourself that there is no-one else out there in the market at the moment who wants your house. Hopefully your solid bet is still there in a few weeks time.
    Eventually you have to bite the bullet & make a decision. There's always a "what if" feeling attached to accepting an offer. Sometimes the benefit of doing the deal outweighs the "what if".
    There's no right answer to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fifigogo

For those of you who were doing quite a bit of bashing, can I just say that everything was happening so quickly for us. It only took 3 days. Granted the buyer had already been viewing the house with me but on the Monday the advertising went live to Wednesday and there's a very good offer on the table already. That's super fast and I wasn't expecting that. This is the family home we are selling. I've lived in this house my whole life. Now my brother and I are going our separate ways. And although the offer is great, the EA did say he could get twice that when I first met him. An extra few thousand would definitely be helpful. It would allow me to purchase a car so I can commute from the back arse of nowhere land to my job in Dublin. I didn't mention any of the things in my OP to the EA. We only met twice and spoke once on the phone and it was very amicable. It was just at the weekend I was maybe overthinking things, maybe.

I came to this forum to use as a sounding board before I made a rash decision but for the most part just got a bashing. Anyway I spoke with the the EA and I feel a bit more at ease about things. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

fifigogo wrote: »
    For those of you who were doing quite a bit of bashing, can I just say that everything was happening so quickly for us. It only took 3 days. Granted the buyer had already been viewing the house with me but on the Monday the advertising went live to Wednesday and there's a very good offer on the table already. That's super fast and I wasn't expecting that. This is the family home we are selling. I've lived in this house my whole life. Now my brother and I are going our separate ways. And although the offer is great, the EA did say he could get twice that when I first met him. An extra few thousand would definitely be helpful. It would allow me to purchase a car so I can commute from the back arse of nowhere land to my job in Dublin. I didn't mention any of the things in my OP to the EA. We only met twice and spoke once on the phone and it was very amicable. It was just at the weekend I was maybe overthinking things, maybe.

I came to this forum to use as a sounding board before I made a rash decision but for the most part just got a bashing. Anyway I spoke with the the EA and I feel a bit more at ease about things. Thanks

Tbh it ain't bashing, it's people's opinions. Alot of it is good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Op, if you have reached a figure you are happy to sell for there is no reason to keep it on the market any longer. By doing this you risk losing the only bidder that has bid over asking since you advertised months ago. If I was the bidder and you told me you wanted to leave it on the market another month I'd withdraw my offer and oook elsewhere. I bought my house 10 years ago. I made my bid (€5000 below asking), they made a counter offer (only €1,000 more than my bid). I accepted on the basis that they withdraw the property from the market immediately. If they had said we want to see what else comes in I would have pulled out. This was the day after the house went on the market. Think carefully about the downsides compared to the small upside of maybe getting an extra grand or 2

The only bidder is the bidder that has bid more that the estate agent has asked for. Does the bidder and the estate agent know each other by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

jsd1004 wrote: »
    The only bidder is the bidder that has bid more that the estate agent has asked for. Does the bidder and the estate agent know each other by any chance?

I don't see what the angle would be. How would they be in anyway benefiting by bidding over the odds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

1k is nothing to the ea, i see no conspiracy here .
    Is the house on daft.ie or myhome.ie ,
    before you put the house on sale you should have asked 2 or 3 agents
    for a free valuation.
    The point of an agent is he handles bidding and advertises the house .
    i would not hire an agent unless he can put it on myhome.ie or daft.ie.
    Thats where buyers look for houses .
    Say the offer is 100k, the agent said he could get you 200k before you took him on.
    Thats strange.
    What are other houses in the area going for on, www.daft.ie or www.myhome.ie ?
    Look at the price register to check prices in your area .
    You might get more offers in the next 2 weeks.
    its up to you to accept or reject the bid.

Advertisement