Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for Flight Sim

Options
  • 08-10-2017 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RHJ wrote: »

When are you buying? Cos noone has stock of the 8000-series CPUs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice system :)

I think I'll upgrade my i5 4440 to the same mobo / cpu / cooler combo you have in your post there when the i5 8600k becomes available in the next few weeks.

Question: is it really going to make a difference going to 32GB? I've 16GB DDR currently and I wasn't planning to going to more than 16GB DDR4. Also will that cooler take a bit of overclocking the i5 8600k without becoming very noisy?

• Advertisement

Yeah you need the 3000 RAM if you might overclock. Haven't made my mind up about going i7-8700K, i5-8600K or just i5-8400

Leaning towards the i5-8600k as there is very, very little between it and the i7 and probably well over €100 price difference. My main use is heavy duty workstation, 4k streaming and playback (directly from on board video via HDMI to decent AV amp and speakers - not using the on board audio). I don't game. System has to be as quiet as possible, preferably completely silent (there are no moving parts in my current PC, except storage HDDs)

You sure about the MSI mobo? The Asrock in your OP is the only Z370 I've seen a detailed review about and it was very highly regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Running P3D V4.1 on a i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz, 8gb ddr3, Gtx1060 6gb.

P3D is still a CPU hog but I manage 30+ fps most of the time. P3D v4 is no longer restricted to 4gb ram due to moving to 64bit. A lot of simmers recommend a i7 due to more cores etc, but if I can run it on my specs above i think you are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

OCUK have stock of several of the Coffee Lake CPU's including the 8600K.

• Advertisement

Cheers man! Just ordered myself a very nice Christmas present :p

And the i7-8700k and i5-8600k are out of stock again in overclockers (and everywhere else presumably)

Mindfactory is cheaper than OCUK alright, but were you not tempted when TerrorFirmer posted that OCUK had them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You're wasting your time waiting on Mindfactory, they no longer ship items outside of Germany.

Amazon is usually a bit cheaper than scan or OCUK. In my case I was spending a lot of money anyway, also wanted it to be all on one order from one place. And I didn't really care if it was going to be £50 more or less, did not want to wait until the next time the cpus are available from somewhere :)

Advertisement