Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond advice

Options
  • 08-10-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hello wise collective,

I'm struggling a bit with a pond at the moment.

Its a small pond, there were 5 or so duck on it fairly regularly last year (they'd evac from the pond and then land in the streams / ditches within 100m, all of which I can shoot).

I've been feeding this pond barley for the past while. I can see that it has been eaten (1/2 bucket or so), and there are feathers beginning to accumulate. However, they never seem to be around anymore at dusk. I've come across the duck either during the day, or at dusk a few times. But I haven't been out on a daily basis to see if this is consistent.

I can't shoot it during the day for a variety of reasons, but have been out about half hour after sunset for the past few weekends and haven't seen them there, nor have they arrived when I'm waiting around.

I have been feeding it at different times during the day, should I only feed it at dusk? Any advice is welcome here. Just looking to get a couple of every so often for the table.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

yes I would say feed in the evening is probably best. It is a bit early yet the birds have plenty to eat still seeds and maybe stubbles. Feed little and often and when the birds start to feel the pinch you will be quids in.
    Try not to shoot to often and leave a lead in. If you can have 2 or 3 ponds in different areas and shoot in rotation that would be great.

Advertisement