Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Picking parts please

Options
  • 08-10-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I haven't built a PC in probably 7 years but finally have a few quid so want to build a desktop for gaming. I'm completely lost with the massive options of parts available. Ideally i want to build as cheap as possible but future proof things like the board and CPU to last a long time and upgrade the GPU eventually as the games i play arnt massively demanding.

Ideally all the parts from the same seller to avoid multiple shipping fees

1. What is your budget? 1000 absolute max but ideally around 800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Playing games like destiny, starcraft, Divinity Original Sin 2

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24 ideally

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] No

8. How can you pay? Creditcard / Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Should be ok to build it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Been looking at maybe a prebuilt machine. Any thoughts on this?

Its the sister company to Aria PC. I put the individual parts through the part picker and the cost is almost the same for it in parts or prebuilt

https://www.gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/66646

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£136.74 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£71.48 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£59.30 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.99 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card (£188.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Thermaltake - Core V31 ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.40 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX - XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£42.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Monitor: LG - 25UM58 25.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor (£139.14 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £820.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-09 16:00 BST+0100

Possible upgrades/changes:
    CPU: Ryzen 1400 -> Ryzen 1600
    Monitor: LG-25UM58-> 1440p monitor

Thanks for the advice on parts.
    Is there a reason to go for a Ryzen processor? I had a look at some benchmarks and they seem to come in slower that intel.

Overall is looks pretty nice. Although i wouldnt mind bumping the Ram up a bit aswell as the GPU. Reason being i wont have money to upgrade more for a long time so its a case of get what i can now.

Maybe bump the graphics card to the 6gb version is worthwhile?

Done up a budget again lastnight and all in i can do 1200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

goodlad wrote: »
    Done up a budget again lastnight and all in i can do 1200 euro.

And so it begins. :D

If your budget is now 1200, certainly go for the Ryzen 1600. It's only an extra £40. For that you get an extra two cores and a better cooler.

I know you said you don't want to overclock but that CPU can easily reach a stable and cool 3.7GHz with the press of a few buttons. You won't need anything more for a long while.

ha! Yeah i worked out some stuff and pushed up the budget since i probably wont have money to upgrade for at least 2 years i should try get a better spec now.

Im not against building myself as it will work out cheaper but im going to do another comparison so see just how much aria charge for building the system. Will put the parts through the picker and compare it against their set builds.

The one i linked above seems pretty nice

• Advertisement

Please look into building your own! I built one recently starting with zero knowledge of anything and I must have saved between 500-600 getting the spec I wanted.

You will learn a heap too.

There are plenty of great YouTube tutorials out there.

Tbh im just lazy! I wouldnt have any difficulty at all building it myself.
    When i put the prebuild one above through the partpicker is didnt come out any more expensive having them build it which kinda suprised me.

If a prebuilt is way more expensive than a self build i will absolutely build it myself.
    I guess im just lost with part choices. Like above, an extra 40 for the processor bump was a no brainer. Thats the kinda info im wondering too about all components. Not sure how to get the best bang for buck as im not familiar with parts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh im just lazy! I wouldnt have any difficulty at all building it myself.
    When i put the prebuild one above through the partpicker is didnt come out any more expensive having them build it which kinda suprised me.

If a prebuilt is way more expensive than a self build i will absolutely build it myself.
    I guess im just lost with part choices. Like above, an extra 40 for the processor bump was a no brainer. Thats the kinda info im wondering too about all components. Not sure how to get the best bang for buck as im not familiar with parts

That prebuilt system you linked to above is no good as it only has 4 cores and no hyperthreading. I would not go for a older Kaby lake i5 or even the i7 at this stage. A Ryzen 1600 or 1700 is the best to get or if going intel you would have to get the latest 6 core coffee lake but they weren't launched properly so it will be probably the new year before they are in decent stock.

Tbh I would go with a Ryzen build as you get the best bang for the buck and then you can upgrade to the Zen 2 in 2019 while using the same motherboard.

How does this look to you guys?
    Anything standing out as a bad choice? Maybe something should be swapped?

I already have a SSD that i can use as the primary drive so didn't add one in.
    I assume the stock cooler that comes with the CPU will be ok so i didnt add one in.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£183.54 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£94.78 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£143.94 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.99 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card (£254.40 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Corsair - SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case (£56.34 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.40 @ Aria PC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (£13.50 @ Aria PC)
    Monitor: LG - 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60Hz Monitor (£139.14 @ Aria PC)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master - CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£23.24 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1041.27
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-10 22:46 BST+0100

Looks good but I would try to budget in a SSD as a boot drive. Totally worth it. I have no mechanical drives the past few years connected to my PC(well apart from connecting up a USB one from time to time) I have a old 120GB as my boot SSD and then a 1TB SSD for my games and storage.

• Advertisement

Yeah man i have a new Samsung evo 256GB SSD i got last year for a laptop and never used so i can use that in this machine. I will add in a cheap cd/dvd reader aswell just to have it

Yeah man i have a new Samsung evo 256GB SSD i got last year for a laptop and never used so i can use that in this machine.

Looks like your all set so.

Yeah man i think so. I will make sure they are all in stock tomorrow morning and get the order done.
    Not mad on the case so may change that. Am i right in thinking the stock cooler that comes with the cpu is fine?

Yeah man i think so. I will make sure they are all in stock tomorrow morning and get the order done.
    Not mad on the case so may change that. Am i right in thinking the stock cooler that comes with the cpu is fine?

It's fine. It can even handle a basic/mild overclock but I seen in your OP that you will not be overclocking.

You're a bit overkill on the power supply! Something like THIS would be better suited.

Rule of thumb is you power supply should be roughly double the rated load of your build give or take. PC Part Picker tells me your build is 280W.

Reason being, power supplies operate at their optimum efficiency at around 40-50% rated load.

You can't oversize a power supply so the 750W would so the job but the one I linked to has a gold standard which means even greater efficiency and it's fully modular meaning the cables come separate from the actual block so you just plug in what you need. This helps with cable management and also allows you to replace a cable in future should you need to (unlikely but nice to know).

Good timing on the post as i was just about to put the order in. I will have an eye on Aria and see if there is something else to maybe swap it to.

A quick look and the wattage of them doesnt seem to drive up price really.
    SO i will just grab something thats fully modular and gold standard like this maybe

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/Modular+650W+or+less/650W+-+Corsair+CS650M+80%2B+Gold+Modular+Power+Supply+?productId=58174

Looks good. I don't know about that particular model as I went with EVGA but a two second search throws up some good reviews.

650W is a nice size too. Allows for some expansion in future like a GPU/CPU upgrade, an overclock etc.

All sorted now anyway. I just put the order through.
    Now to sit and stare at my email for the next few days until i get a tracking number that i can check every hour! :D

Now start adding Steam games on your wishlist to pass the time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement