Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting 2 year old read at night?

Options
  • 08-10-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭

We've a boy turning 2 next week and has normal bedtime routine at night in his own bed that's been working perfectly. He gets 3 books per night then light out and he goes to sleep. Consistently does 7pm to 6am.

However this past week he's been asking for a book and leave light on. I've refused first few nights and he whinges a bit then goes to sleep, then tonight as experiment I let him. Went back into room he was still "reading" his book at 7.30 so took it from him and switched off light.

This seems wrong as its a good routine to get into but I don't want him staying up later and getting less sleep. He's been in such a great routine I don't want to rock the boat but then again if he wants to look at books for a bit should I let him start a new routine.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Read him his three stories, then give him 5-10 mins on his own to look at his books, then goodnight kiss, lights out, simple!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Or let him have the book without the light on, leave the door open and a light outside.
    Our three year old frequently hops out and helps herself from her bookshelf when we go downstairs.But she's generally so tired she falls asleep within about five mins anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

read him one story and leave him time to read another few himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

shesty wrote: »
    Or let him have the book without the light on, leave the door open and a light outside.
    Our three year old frequently hops out and helps herself from her bookshelf when we go downstairs.But she's generally so tired she falls asleep within about five mins anyway!

This is what I do with my 22mo. But he's in a cot, so when I read him 2 stories, I put him into the cot with the books. He does his thing for a few min, and is usually asleep fairly swiftly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

give him the book but make it something really boring for a two year old, Kafka or Joyce, something like that. That will sicken him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

farmchoice wrote: »
    give him the book but make it something really boring for a two year old, Kafka or Joyce, something like that. That will sicken him.

My First Kafka

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Our two year old routinely insists on 5-6 books in her cot every night. She might read them for up to an hour before going to sleep, mixed in with reciting every nursery rhyme she knows and telling off all her teddies... fun

Advertisement