Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 in 4 social houses refused. Homeless crisis on arse.

• 08-10-2017 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What a joke.

"Of the 1,009 houses offered to people on the waiting list last year, 300 applicants turned them down or didn't respond to the offer"

Sense of entitlement is killing this country. There is no homeless crisis. Just people jumping the q by going homeless to get their free gaff near their favourite pub and bookies.

http://www.newstalk.com/One-in-four-Dublin-social-homes-reportedly-rejected-49263

Sinn feins daithi on the defensive of course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What a joke.

"Of the 1,009 houses offered to people on the waiting list last year, 300 applicants turned them down or didn't respond to the offer"

Sense of entitlement is killing this country. There is no homeless crisis. Just people jumping the q by going homeless to get their free gaff near their favourite pub and bookies.

http://www.newstalk.com/One-in-four-Dublin-social-homes-reportedly-rejected-49263

I'm pretty sure there is you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Rick Shaw wrote: »

No there isn't.

We have one of the lowest homeless figures is Europe and even at that, I doubt most of these people are actually homeless.

Sure anyone can just register themselves as homeless nowadays.

Leave the family home at 18, saying no room or some ****e and suddenly your homeless.

What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The issue of homeless accommodation being turned down isn't as black and white as people like to think it is. Personally I have no time for people who'll turn it down because the garden doesn't face south or something. But if you're being offered something two doors down from the local drug dealer or in an obviously rough area, why would you take it?

The issue of homeless accommodation being turned down isn't as black and white as people like to think it is. Personally I have no time for people who'll turn it down because the garden doesn't face south or something. But if you're being offered something two doors down from the local drug dealer or in an obviously rough area, why would you take it?

Link to that story please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You wouldn't keep a dog in some of those dumps let alone raise children

• Advertisement

What dumps?

No there isn't.

What housing crisis would Varadkar or Murphy be referring to here then :confused:
    Earlier, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said there is no quick fix or a single solution to solve the housing crisis.

Mr Murphy earlier said funding will not be a problem in the Government's efforts to tackle the housing crisis.

This article is a load of balls then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Three out of four social houses accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Should be removed from the lists and blocked from accessing hap and other rent supplements ,

Even people in hotels and b&bs are turning down social housing it's beyond a joke at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

There's the genuine homeless and then there is the people claiming to be homeless to get a house quicker.
    Out of the genuinely homeless, there is a large percentage that can't physically manage to keep a house, they have some underlying problems, usually drugs but mental health issues also.

So all this talk of homeless crisis is to benifit all those playing the system and a small few genuinely homeless.
    If you are claiming homeless and you have turned down a property because it wasn't in the right area, then I have no sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't these people get to refuse a house and get offered another one soon after?

Gatling wrote: »
    Should be removed from the lists and blocked from accessing hap and other rent supplements ,

Even people in hotels and b&bs are turning down social housing it's beyond a joke at this point

As you can see from this thread people swallow this ****e which just makes the problem worst.

Where did the idea of not having to work and pay your way in society come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

And where's your link to this story?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't these people get to refuse a house and get offered another one soon after?

3 choices of home and 3 choices of area.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I was homeless myself 4 years ago for 8 months cost me my place in university I'm still dealing with the health implications to this day so shut the hell up about there being no crisis until it has effected you or yours shut the hell up.

cbyrd wrote: »
    And where's your link to this story?

In the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

Wouldn't this save most welfare claimants a walk?

I was homeless myself 4 years ago for 8 months cost me my place in university I'm still dealing with the health implications to this day so shut the hell up about there being no crisis until it has effected you or yours shut the hell up.

No thanks I won't shut the hell up.

There is genuine homeless people who need help.

But there is a huge amount scamming the system.

There isn't a crisis.

As you can see from this thread people swallow this ****e which just makes the problem worst.
    It looks like the Taoiseach and housing minister have swallowed it too. You, for whatever reason you have, are trying to deny a crisis exists. I'll take the word of the homeless charities, and people in the housing departments all the same.
    Where did the idea of not having to work and pay your way in society come from?

This escalsted quickly. :)

Unbelievable.

In my lA alone 7.7 million is owed in unpaid rents alone from people In social housing ,

Beginning to think it's the way to go

• Advertisement

In the op.

Don't see any evidence there, only one Dublin councillors opinion. Did he personally interview the people who turned down these house's? Did you? Do you know for fact that they turned them down cos they're too far away from their local pub or bookies or are you just spouting sh!te out your ar5e.
    Come back with an opinion when you've been homeless and been through the system.
    Then you'll have a bit if knowledge about the situation.

It looks like the Taoiseach and housing minister have swallowed it too. You, for whatever reason you have, are trying to deny a crisis exists. I'll take the word of the homeless charities, and people in the housing departments all the same.

This escalsted quickly. :)

Oh of course homeless charities and their ceos on 100k a week have nothing to gain by exaggerating the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

this ...

again ...

ugh ...
    Slydice wrote: »
    It was supply when I looked at Refusals last.

Housing waiting list size Versus Refusals
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97606025&postcount=36
    367522.png

cbyrd wrote: »
    Don't see any evidence there, only one Dublin councillors opinion. Did he personally interview the people who turned down these house's? Did you? Do you know for fact that they turned them down cos they're too far away from their local pub or bookies or are you just spouting sh!te out your ar5e.
    Come back with an opinion when you've been homeless and been through the system.
    Then you'll have a bit if knowledge about the situation.

Oh so I can only have an opinion if I am homeless?

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Beside other children in social housing? What makes your family different from any other family? You live where you can afford.

So apparently people will only take apartments if they are middle floors.
    Didn't like the interior splash of paint lazy sods

"Their reasons included them being too big or too small, apartments being on the ground floor or too high and the paper reports that some have also said they disliked the interior"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No thanks I won't shut the hell up.

There is genuine homeless people who need help.

But there is a huge amount scamming the system.

There isn't a crisis.

Do you wear a T-shirt everyday with that printed on it as well?

Beside other children in social housing? What makes your family different from any other family? You live where you can afford.

Not nowadays.

Cost doesnt come into it, well it does for people working and having to buy outside Dublin and commute everyday.

But to a certain cohort cost doesn't matter.

Whoever screams loudest gets the most.

With this opinion then no, I don't think you get what being homeless is actually like. But hey. Let's not allow facts to get on the way of a scintillating thread read.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Do you wear a T-shirt everyday with that printed on it as well?

If I say yes would it make your joke funny?

Gatling wrote: »
    So apparently people will only take apartments if they are middle floors.
    Didn't like the interior splash of paint lazy sods

"Their reasons included them being too big or too small, apartments being on the ground floor or too high and the paper reports that some have also said they disliked the interior"

But I'm making all this up of course.

People aren't refusing for silly reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Homeless quangos getting as much airtime as possible before the budget to get a bigger slice of dough for themselves.
    Sinn fein/ aaa etc wanting 50000 social housing units built or some such crap.
    Therefore Fianna fail says we'll have to steal their thunder and demand fianna gael throw a hape of dough at it.
    There goes your tax cut in the budget!
    Oh and we'll also increase social welfare, the back to school allowance went up, they lengthened the fuel allowance last year and the Christmas bonus is going up apparently!

And at the same time Leo tells us he wants to look after the people who get up n go to work in the morning! Nice words Leo, ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Unbelievable.

Well it puts a different spin on the story,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

You have the choice of 3 various locations around Dublin if you pick a Dody area for example the inner North of Dublin city it's your own fault. Pick the area you want to live in wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Oh of course homeless charities and their ceos on 100k a week have nothing to gain by exaggerating the situation.

100k a week? Pretty fond of the old exaggerating yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

A social housing bashing thread, well fcuk me this is a first on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Someone somewhere needs to define what "homeless" really means now.

It is definitely not someone sleeping on the streets anyway is it? And I just want to add that I have every sympathy with street sleepers, but sometimes that is a choice they make. Jonathon Corry was one of them, RIP and there are many others too.

The definition of homeless is wide. And we are all sucked into the charity spiel.

If all those in need of housing were sorted tomorrow the homeless charities would be defunct. But do they want to be defunct at all? What will happen to their cash reserves and the highly paid CEOs then I often ask myself?

It is a gravy train. Nuff said. No one is without a roof over their heads unless that is their choice.

I have two friends who are currently looking for homes. One is a masters degree candidate working for one of the big four, the other is working for google. They cant find one. Both have slept on my couch for a night or two, because it was my couch or beneath a bridge.

Stop thinking that the homeless are drug addicts and alcoholics. I have two educated, working friends unable to find a home. Dont let the few scroungers colour your judgement.

I was on a conversation on Facebook and one woman said "there's no housing crisis. Ive had my box room on daft for weeks and no one replied". Turns out she only wanted people 4 nights a week. For 150 a week.

People need houses. If you think there's no housing crisis, try looking for somewhere to live.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    A social housing bashing thread, well fcuk me this is a first on boards.

Wonder why there is so many wouldn't you?

I have two friends who are currently looking for homes. One is a masters degree candidate working for one of the big four, the other is working for google. They cant find one. Both have slept on my couch for a night or two, because it was my couch or beneath a bridge.

Stop thinking that the homeless are drug addicts and alcoholics. I have two educated, working friends unable to find a home. Dont let the few scroungers colour your judgement.

I was on a conversation on Facebook and one woman said "there's no housing crisis. Ive had my box room on daft for weeks and no one replied". Turns out she only wanted people 4 nights a week. For 150 a week.

People need houses. If you think there's no housing crisis, try looking for somewhere to live.

They can't rent a room for 600 a month and they work for the big 4 as you put it with a masters degree?

I call bs on this one.

• Advertisement

They can't rent a room for 600 a month and they work for the big 4 as you put it with a masters degree?

I call bs on this one.

The room that was 600 was 4 nights a week. Where do you put your stuff and you know, sleep, the other 3 nights?

This isnt about either of them not affording accommodation, its there about there being none available.

The room that was 600 was 4 nights a week. Where do you put your stuff and you know, sleep, the other 3 nights?

This isnt about either of them not affording accommodation, its there about there being none available.

No I'm talking about plenty of rooms available to rent at the moment.

http://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/dublin/lucan/

Here you go. Even rooms for 500 a month in there.

Your friends will thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

Yeah and it doesn't help that lots of these wasters on the waiting list are expecting their 5th child and continue to live irresponsibly.

Some of us have to work and pay for our lifestyles, this is unsustainable this hand out mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I know a disabled man who uses a power wheelchair who was offered a first floor flat on a building with no elevator.

Some offers are not tenable for the recipients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It'd be misleading - just so they can make some sort of headline out of it

Same houses being turned down by everyone

"Don't like the interior" ~ gtf don't like living near black mold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No there isn't.

We have one of the lowest homeless figures is Europe and even at that, I doubt most of these people are actually homeless.

Sure anyone can just register themselves as homeless nowadays.

Leave the family home at 18, saying no room or some ****e and suddenly your homeless.

What a joke.

It's not that simple to present and register as homeless.A Housing Needs Assessment is completed with a decision made around what type of priority you are given , i.e. you can be homeless with a medical priority for example or say your status may be different if youre disabled and so on.You may not meet the criteria to be registered as homeless , different from registering for social housing too.

Then you're encouraged if you need a bed to ring the freephone.This along with interactions with outreach teams is where you appear in the system as homeless.
    It's not just a matter of rocking up to your local authhority and saying I'm homeless.

gctest50 wrote: »

Same houses being turned down by everyone

"Don't like the interior" ~ gtf don't like living near black mold

Apparently no not turned down my every one and no mention of black mould

The OP, and the issue, are getting genuine homelessness mixed up with benefit maximisation/entitlement.

The two are separate issues, even if they can have common subsets.

I meet/interact with/listen to people living rough on the streets of Dublin. These people find it all but impossible to get on the dole because they have no fixed address to write on the application. A social house, and the other benefits which would accompany it, would be like a jackpot to these people. I don't see them turning down permanent residence because "they didn't like the interior". These are the real homeless, of which we have many in the country and it's unfair to use this vague Newstalk article to absolutely discount their plight.

What the article describes to me are people who know the system all too well. Growing up in a working class rural town, I was familiar with people on social housing waiting lists. Some of them were not doing too bad at all in life, and I remember comments such as "They (the council) have their shíte if they think I'm taking a house in that dump". "That dump" would have been a perfectly adequate new build on a new development, but just not the small palace in the new shiny, private estate which the whole town wanted to live in.

Maybe it might suit people in positions of power that we the public are getting these issues confused and screaming each other down in the meantime. However, I fail to see how the article in the OP is any grounds to declare that "There is no homeless crisis". It barely relates to the problem at all, and merely alludes to an underbelly, in the minority, who exploit it and distract from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There's a girl on Facebook who's blind and has a guide dog. She's homeless and sleeps rough every night all over Dublin.

She's been assaulted and treated terribly and has written to TD's and sought the help of the numerous charities out there but says nobody wants to help her.

I felt so sorry for her and wondered why she hadn't been housed if she was this vulnerable.

Then I heard from someone who works for a homeless charity and said this girl has been homeless for 20 YEARS.

She said "she has her own issues and we've tried to help her" and that's all she said on the matter.

So it got me thinking that there had to be more to the story than she was making out but I didn't pry.

The people who are in hotels and B&B's and refusing houses because it doesn't have a garden or it's not near their mothers; these people are being too fussy and don't deserve a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Wonder why there is so many wouldn't you?

Oh believe me Wheelie i know why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement