Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 in 4 social houses refused. Homeless crisis on arse.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have two friends who are currently looking for homes. One is a masters degree candidate working for one of the big four, the other is working for google. They cant find one. Both have slept on my couch for a night or two, because it was my couch or beneath a bridge.

Stop thinking that the homeless are drug addicts and alcoholics. I have two educated, working friends unable to find a home. Dont let the few scroungers colour your judgement.

I was on a conversation on Facebook and one woman said "there's no housing crisis. Ive had my box room on daft for weeks and no one replied". Turns out she only wanted people 4 nights a week. For 150 a week.

People need houses. If you think there's no housing crisis, try looking for somewhere to live.

That isn't homelessness, its people who haven't yet found suitable accommodation to rent.

They could pay more rent that they want or they could take a cheap hotel room for a few weeks, i'm sure they don't want to, but to use people in their position to indicate a homeless crisis is crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Cyrus wrote: »
    I have two friends who are currently looking for homes. One is a masters degree candidate working for one of the big four, the other is working for google. They cant find one. Both have slept on my couch for a night or two, because it was my couch or beneath a bridge.

Stop thinking that the homeless are drug addicts and alcoholics. I have two educated, working friends unable to find a home. Dont let the few scroungers colour your judgement.

I was on a conversation on Facebook and one woman said "there's no housing crisis. Ive had my box room on daft for weeks and no one replied". Turns out she only wanted people 4 nights a week. For 150 a week.

People need houses. If you think there's no housing crisis, try looking for somewhere to live.

That isn't homelessness, its people who haven't yet found suitable accommodation to rent.

They could pay more rent that they want or they could take a cheap hotel room for a few weeks, i'm sure they don't want to, but to use people in their position to indicate a homeless crisis is crazy stuff.

That. Perfect reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

this discussion fits in very well with this thread, and the drivel thats posted here. enjoy

https://www.rt.com/shows/renegade-inc/406107-free-market-economic-uk/

Snotty wrote: »
    I slept in the car one night when I forgot my key, I'm about as homeless as your two muppet friends.
    They can find the house they WANT in the AREA they want, they are not homeless.

Bit of a snotty comment. Muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

When people are on the news about living in hotels the first thought I always have is where are their friends and families

In the past they would have been taken in by someone, now it's the governments problem and helps them game the system

One of them who went to the media has parents who have a 4 bedroom house in Malahide with no one else in it. She had somewhere to go but easier to get a free forever house by stating you are homeless

The homeless crises is as much about our changing society than it is anything else

I would agree with the OP about it being overblown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While we do clearly have a homelessness problem here I find it hard to believe it’s teally any worse than another major city. I also don’t believe it’s as black and white as people would like to make it.

Like it or not there is and always will be percentage of the population who will be unable to keep a home be it because of mental problems, issues with drink and drugs etc. It’s a sad truth but there’s nothing to be gained from denial.

And there’s that select group of individuals who will not accept any house that is not next door to Mammy or does face a certain or is not in a certain location etc. They are different breed with an overblown sense of self entitlement and I personally think if you refuse more than 1 offer of a propert you should be at the very least dropped to the bottom of the queue.

It’s never going to be a simple case of building more houses - if it was we wouldn’t have a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

VinLieger wrote: »
    Facepalm for you methinks, as a percantage of population we still have less homeless people at 0.0018% than Germany at 0.0028%and sweden at 0.0034%

I think you've a few too many zeros in there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pilly wrote: »
    I think you've a few too many zeros in there. :rolleyes:

Indeed, but the point still stands we are better off than many other countries so people who previously were claiming 3rd world countries would be ashamed of our homeless crisis need to pull their heads out of their assess

In my opinion the reason this is and should be treated as a crisis is because there are children homeless.

Now people can throw out their anecdotes all they like but that's a fact.

This is going to have a devastating effect on a child.

So I don't care about how the mother got pregnant or what kind of a person she is, I'm happy to have my tax spend used to house that family so a child can go to school every day and come home to the same place every day. I don't agree that children from these families will never work, with education and help they certainly will. One is not born with a desire to be lazy.

Nothing the parents have done or will do in the future should be taken out on the children.

As for those saying homeless charities are profiting from this, that's just pure lies, definitely in the case of the larger charities. I have seen all their books and there is no profiteering there. Focus Ireland for example spends 85% of all funds directly on services.

In my opinion the reason this is and should be treated as a crisis is because there are children homeless.

So I don't care about how the mother got pregnant or what kind of a person she is, I'm happy to have my tax spend used to house that family so a child can go to school every day and come home to the same place every day. I don't agree that children from these families will never work, with education and help they certainly will. One is not born with a desire to be lazy.

Nothing the parents have done or will do in the future should be taken out on the children.

As for those saying homeless charities are profiting from this, that's just pure lies, definitely in the case of the larger charities. I have seen all their books and there is no profiteering there. Focus Ireland for example spends 85% of all funds directly on services.

But all the money in the world cannot stop a child being used as a pawn by parents.

What can you do to combat that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It's not eviction, you're being moved to a more suitable home, as another family needs the one you're occupying. Afterall, if it was the other way around they'd want to be moved to a larger house so why not move accordingly? They don't own the house and it shouldn't be a forever home when there's actual families sleeping in one hotel room. I don't advocate kicking them out just moving them to a more suitable property

not viable. you would be moving them away from their communities and supports which would bring undue irreperable hardship upon them. forced removals when they are paying the required rent is against democracy and one's rights.
    Agreed. And most won't. If mammy and a succession of uncles plus granny and whoever granddad was didn't work - why would little Shakira ?

because a proper education system would educate her in relation to the benefits of a fair days wage for a fair days work.
    Rezident wrote: »
    Because you are homeless, supposedly, and it is a free house.

those are not good reasons if the house is near a dangerous criminal. the house is also not free but subsidized, the tenant has to pay rent based on a percentage of their income.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

naughtb4 wrote: »

But all the money in the world cannot stop a child being used as a pawn by parents.

Combat what ?
    The poster you replied commented that nothing a parent has done or will do should of consequence to a child.
    I'm at a loss to see where a child is being used as a pawn to gain leverage for a house , a family homeless and a family on a housing list are two completely different things.

Totally different issue, not sure why you would even ask that question?

What do you suggest? Shoot the kid? Sorry kid, you're only a pawn.

Totally different issue, not sure why you would even ask that question?

What do you suggest? Shoot the kid? Sorry kid, you're only a pawn.

Not reward it? see it as child abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not reward it? see it as child abuse?

see what as child abuse?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

see what as child abuse?

Turning down a house in clontarf like Erica Fleming thus keeping your child homeless in a hotel all so you can get a house of your choosing in an area of your choosing.

That's child neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭XarcherX

I'm a single mother with 1 child. I'm working full time, 40 hour week in a low to medium paid job and renting a 2 bed house, I'm not claiming any benefits nor am I looking for any. It's hard but it's doable. Meanwhile my neighbours, we'll call them Mary & John.. 2 young kids, both on the dole for the last few years, have the system down to a fine art. All allowances available are claimed, back to school, FIS, etc. Manage to go on holidays once a year, have a decent car, with weekly shopping sprees to penny's and chipper food thrown in too. She told me herself neither of them have any notion of looking for work cos "what's the point"
    There are very genuine cases of homelessness and I also believe that a child should always have a secure home to go to but I think the government need to spend more time & energy in weeding out people like Mary & John above and cutting them off after a certain length of time as part of trying to curb homelessness. I know there are measures in place for this but they seem very easy to get out of, show a few letters of job refusals and you're safe for another few months.

XarcherX wrote: »
    I'm a single mother with 1 child. I'm working full time, 40 hour week in a low to medium paid job and renting a 2 bed house, I'm not claiming any benefits nor am I looking for any. It's hard but it's doable. Meanwhile my neighbours, we'll call them Mary & John.. 2 young kids, both on the dole for the last few years, have the system down to a fine art. All allowances available are claimed, back to school, FIS, etc. Manage to go on holidays once a year, have a decent car, with weekly shopping sprees to penny's and chipper food thrown in too. She told me herself neither of them have any notion of looking for work cos "what's the point"
    There are very genuine cases of homelessness and I also believe that a child should always have a secure home to go to but I think the government need to spend more time & energy in weeding out people like Mary & John above and cutting them off after a certain length of time as part of trying to curb homelessness. I know there are measures in place for this but they seem very easy to get out of, show a few letters of job refusals and you're safe for another few months.

And the unfortunate issue that's created from their behaviour is that it's possible that thier attitudes become generational in the sense that thier children and even grandchildren may see no issue with living a life dependent on the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Leo suggested a clamp down on welfare fraud and people lost their minds claiming it's so small it's not worth pursuing.

Oh and da banks rabble rabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think I might make myself homeless because it seems like so much fun.

• Advertisement

Leo suggested a clamp down on welfare fraud and people lost their minds claiming it's so small it's not worth pursuing.

No Leo didn't "suggest" a clamp down on welfare, he implemented with full scale posters to "launch" it as is his want.

Results so far=zero.

Lux23 wrote: »

I might just try it for the weekend myself.

Register as homeless , ring the freephone.
    Let's know how it goes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Think of the savings you will make ,

No rent to pay .

No utilities to pay.

And in a lot of cases other people bringing you hot meals daily ,

Some would think that's a pretty easy choice

Gatling wrote: »

Think of the savings you will make ,

No rent to pay .

No utilities to pay.

And in a lot of cases other people bringing you hot meals daily ,

Some would think that's a pretty easy choice

50 euros a week in STA hostel after you've survived one night only and assertive engagement hostels.

He didn't suggest a clampdown, he actively campaigned to get people to rat on their neighbours and they did. What they found was there was very little welfare fraud going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

No Leo didn't "suggest" a clamp down on welfare, he implemented with full scale posters to "launch" it as is his want.

Results so far=zero.

Really??

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1013/912112-brian-bobey-pension-fraud/

Welfare fraud is rampant, it's too easy! I don't know the figures granted but a lot of the people putting themselves up for free/assisted rent allowance are more than capable of working but just couldn't be arsed.

Let's know how it goes ?

I worked for a time with a homeless charity, the whole system is appalling. It's not something I believe people willingly sign up to.

• Advertisement

Welfare fraud is rampant, it's too easy! I don't know the figures granted but a lot of the people putting themselves up for free/assisted rent allowance are more than capable of working but just couldn't be arsed.

But that's not welfare fraud.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

One person? Are you for real? One person!!

That man was caught in 2013, what's that got to do with Leo's campaign?

But that's not welfare fraud.

What would you call it? They should only be getting welfare if they're genuinely stuck and a lot of them aren't. If it goes on longer than a few years then there's something amiss

That man was caught in 2013, what's that got to do with Leo's campaign?

hmmm that there could be many many more hence a campaign

Let's know how it goes ?

I worked for a time with a homeless charity, the whole system is appalling. It's not something I believe people willingly sign up to.

I work in homeless services and I can honestly say in the last ten years or so I've been suspicious of maybe three people who presented as homeless.

• Advertisement

hmmm that there could be many many more hence a campaign

That's not the point. I'm talking about the results of Leo's campaign, you ran off to find a link not even stopping to thinking if it had anything to do with it.

Epic Fail.

What would you call it? They should only be getting welfare if they're genuinely stuck and a lot of them aren't. If it goes on longer than a few years then there's something amiss

I wouldn't call it fraud. Fraud is when you're working and claiming the dole, it's when you say you're a single parent but actually live with your kid's other parent, it is saying you have a bad back when you're out jiving at the weekend.

It is not being too lazy to work. And the thing is, eegits do report someone simply because they think they don't deserve to get welfare. The truth is none of us knows enough about other peoples' lives to make that judgment and that is the issue I had with that welfare campaign, it encourages busy-bodies to report on decent people that aren't breaking the law. They might be lazy, they might be feckless, but that doesn't make them criminals.

That's not the point. I'm talking about the results of Leo's campaign, you ran off to find a link not even stopping to thinking if it had anything to do with it.

Epic Fail.

Results..it was only launched month or 2 ago

Patience is a virtue

50 euros a week in STA hostel after you've survived one night only and assertive engagement hostels.

Sorry I personally know tens of families living in 3 star hotels long term who pay absoblutely nothing ,

Sorry I personally know tens of families living in 3 star hotels long term who pay absoblutely nothing ,

Hardly an ideal arrangement, rearing a family in a hotel.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote:

What's your point?

Plenty are doing just that with next to no outlay , makes you wonder if the government withdrew funding for hotels and people had to pay to stay would they be so quick to self declare homeless and no evidence to back up how or why they are homeless

Gatling wrote:
    Plenty are doing just that with next to no outlay , makes you wonder if the government withdrew funding for hotels and people had to pay to stay would they be so quick to self declare homeless and no evidence to back up how or why they are homeless

So you'd rather see kids on the street?

I wonder are you aware that you are assessed to see if you meet criteria to be registered as homeless and the different priorities. It's not just a matter of walking into your local authhority and announcing I'm homeless.

Do you know that any family that's moved into a family hub has to make a payment each week ?

So you'd rather see kids on the street?

I'd rather see them with grandparents etc. If possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wasn't the rabble rabble rabble generally about Leo plucking figures randomly out of this arse? Completely over exaggerating the scale of the problem (if I recall correctly)
    “The Department of Social Protection have claimed that they achieved overall savings of €506 million in 2016 as a result of ‘control and anti-fraud measures’. However, the actual calculation of this figure leaves more questions than answers. In fact, in the Department’s own words, it is based on nothing more than an assumption. The real figure from Department officials, received by the media today, stands at €41 million

Leo, always outspoken on other ministers departments, yet his previous two ministries are hadly shining beacons of any man's achievements in office.

All sound but no substance.

Do you know that any family that's moved into a family hub has to make a payment each week ?

They would want to be...getting 200 euro at least into the pocket each week

They would want to be...getting 200 euro at least into the pocket each week

Damn right , lucky them suffering the indignity of being homeless.

Advertisement