Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Fibre

Options
  • 09-10-2017 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I heard that fibre was being installed in our road in Co Clare, and was directed to a map of the planned rollout at http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/. According to that the fibre is going to be laid right up to the entranceway to my house. The map shows the house opposite us will be connected, but ours is not planned. When I look up against my eircode I am told "your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband". Admittedly the house is back from the road a bit, but another house on the same road with an equally long driveway is due to be connected.

What is the chance of having my house included in the commercial rollout when it happens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

tombrown wrote: »
    I heard that fibre was being installed in our road in Co Clare, and was directed to a map of the planned rollout at http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/. According to that the fibre is going to be laid right up to the entranceway to my house. The map shows the house opposite us will be connected, but ours is not planned. When I look up against my eircode I am told "your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband". Admittedly the house is back from the road a bit, but another house on the same road with an equally long driveway is due to be connected.

What is the chance of having my house included in the commercial rollout when it happens?
    Hi tombrown, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

I'm afraid we are unable to add your address to any rollout file, you would need to be in the planned works for this service to be available to you. Feel free to PM me your account details and eircode and I'll check this for you. 

Thanks

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tombrown

So my conversation with Tracey confirmed that I will not be included in the rollout. Not sure I understand why as I am served from the same pole as my neighbour, but it doenst look like it will change.

So my next question is, whether I am likely to see a secondary benefit from fibre being rolled out in my area, even if it doesn't hit me :

1) Is there a chance that my copper connection can be muxed to the fibre network closer to my home so I don't have the 1km copper length I have at the moment, that limits my max download speed to ~ 8mbps?

2) Can I at least expect an improvement in the bandwidth degradation, to much less than the 8mbps maximum, that I see every evening, especially Saturdays, presumable due to congestion on shared bandwidth?

Just some direction from Eir or people in the know on these two questions would be helpful

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

tombrown wrote: »
    So my conversation with Tracey confirmed that I will not be included in the rollout. Not sure I understand why as I am served from the same pole as my neighbour, but it doenst look like it will change.

So my next question is, whether I am likely to see a secondary benefit from fibre being rolled out in my area, even if it doesn't hit me :

1) Is there a chance that my copper connection can be muxed to the fibre network closer to my home so I don't have the 1km copper length I have at the moment, that limits my max download speed to ~ 8mbps?

2) Can I at least expect an improvement in the bandwidth degradation, to much less than the 8mbps maximum, that I see every evening, especially Saturdays, presumable due to congestion on shared bandwidth?

Just some direction from Eir or people in the know on these two questions would be helpful

Thanks
    Hi there,

The installation of fibre won't affect your current maximum broadband download speeds I'm afraid. We will be unable to arrange for this to be increased. 

You may experience less congestion on your line, however, I can't guarantee this as it will depend on the number of people still connecting to the same service as you that are connected to the same exchange.

- Adam

Advertisement