Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonos one

• 09-10-2017 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

The new Sonos One is out at the end of the month which includes Alexa support. It states that Alexa support is only in place for 4 countries initially - US, UK, Germany and Austria.

I know that Alexa isn't officially supported in Ireland at the moment but it works fine. Will this be the same case with the Sonos One does anyone know?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

deejer wrote: »
    The new Sonos One is out at the end of the month which includes Alexa support. It states that Alexa support is only in place for 4 countries initially - US, UK, Germany and Austria.

I know that Alexa isn't officially supported in Ireland at the moment but it works fine. Will this be the same case with the Sonos One does anyone know?

Thanks

Really curious about this myself. I've a play3 which I love and I'd love to add to the system with one of these in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 billeastwood

i got a Sonos one the other day.i got the Alexa working on it.does most things.wont do everything that the Alexa UK will do. It is not far off the mark.very pleased with it.sound is great.google assistant is coming to the Sonos one next year.so you have 2 in 1 artificial intelligence in the 1 unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

i got a Sonos one the other day.i got the Alexa working on it.does most things.wont do everything that the Alexa UK will do. It is not far off the mark.very pleased with it.sound is great.google assistant is coming to the Sonos one next year.so you have 2 in 1 artificial intelligence in the 1 unit.

Will be more interested in this when it has full Spotify support through Alexa although even the the slightly crippled Alexa is putting me off some what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Just went to order a Sonos One and noticed that it said Alexa isn't supported in Ireland.

Did you have to do anything to get Alexa working or does it just work?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

nedd wrote: »
    Just went to order a Sonos One and noticed that it said Alexa isn't supported in Ireland.

Did you have to do anything to get Alexa working or does it just work?

Thanks

Alexa isn't supported in Ireland but still works, see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101604526

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Drexl

Hi Biile, I bought two of the Sonos One's, but can't seem to get Alexa to work. There does seem to be a work around for echo dots, but Sonos One's I can't get working. What did you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Folks any advance on this, about to buy and want to make sure Alexa works and will control Spotify tunein etc

Ta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Drexl

Yes, got them working. Just set location to uk in sonos app. In alexa app you can set location to your actual one. So I just ask, 'whats the weather like', and she says, 'in xxx it' s xxx'. Very cool! Spotify, tunein, etc, all work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

While this is a sweet-sounding speaker, here's some personal experience I've had with it the last few weeks that I wish I'd known about before taking the plunge, possibly a little prematurely (these issues are all over the Sonos forums but not one review I read mentioned them).
    Big one for me is Audible is not supported, even though it's one of the best features of the Echo. Pretty sure kindle book reading is the same but i never use that. Also I tend to have to shout Alexa several times to get it to hear me - seemingly they need to tweak the mics some more, a software update is 'coming soon'. there's loads of little diffs I notice here and there too, but not such big deals as those two issues e.g. currently the only available wake word is 'Alexa', I prefer 'echo' myself.
    If like me you are coming from a Dot, set up is pretty simply, but be aware You do lose the physical button on Echo that gets it to listen to you without you having to say the wake word. However you get a play/pause button (no more having to tell Alexa to stop) which i find a massive gain.
    Buyers should bear in mind the software is very much still in Beta stage with only vague timelines of when things will improve, google assistant and airplay support should help things massively though, there's deffo a lot of potential here but expect teething issues for a few more months at least.
    Sounds great anyway and I quite like the Sonos app, prob use it more than the Alexa part lately. Maybe i shoulda just got a play:1...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

Does anyone know if Google Music works on Sonos One? It works on my existing Sonos Play 1 but not my Echo Dot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

mojor wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Google Music works on Sonos One? It works on my existing Sonos Play 1 but not my Echo Dot.

No reason it shouldn't, it's in the Sonos app (I don't subscribe though). The only thing you won't be able to do is control it by voice through Alexa. You will be able to once Google assistant is patched in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

That's the part I was wondering about (controlling it by voice through Alexa). Until that functionality exists I'll just stick with my Play 1. Too much hassle changing music streaming provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Hi all,

Thinking about buying the Sonos One. Now that Alexa is supported in Ireland, does that mean that it's also supported on the Sonos One, or do we have to wait for a Sonos update to also support it this device?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

SeanF wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thinking about buying the Sonos One. Now that Alexa is supported in Ireland, does that mean that it's also supported on the Sonos One, or do we have to wait for a Sonos update to also support it this device?

Thanks!

Sonos still haven't issued an update for this to work in Ireland as far as I know. I got mine working a few weeks ago with my echo dot by changing my location on my Sonos account to UK. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

mojor wrote: »
    That's the part I was wondering about (controlling it by voice through Alexa). Until that functionality exists I'll just stick with my Play 1. Too much hassle changing music streaming provider.

If you have an echo device you can voice control Google music once Google is playing on your play 1. Say skip, next, pause stop volume up/down. Make sure your play 1 is set to UK. Install skill on Alexa device and your good. Also if you ever upgrade to Sonos one you can stereo pair with play 1 despite Sonos saying you cannot.

Advertisement