Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affiliate marketing

Options
  • 09-10-2017 10:42am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Apologies in advance for the stupid question!
    I have created a website and would like to get involved in affiliate marketing. My question is, do I need to create a business/set up as a small trader for this? I work full time and this would just be a hobby on the side so I am curious as to what I need to do tax wise in this case?

Thanks!
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Yes you will need to declare like anything else. If your are residing in Ireland over 6 months a year or the business account is going through Ireland.

Good Luck, I am quite experienced in Affiliate Marketing, so reach out for a chat if you like.

Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Speak to an accountant, if you have a single income from a single affiliate (e.g. amazon) it's pretty simple. You need to have receipts and account for expenses directly related to the business whether that's web hosting, or sample products you may review. You'll simply subtract outgoings from income and pay whatever your effective tax rate is after your full time salary.

Definitely speak to an accountant, they'll tell you what you need and how it needs to be tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Garbzr20v

Hi guys,

I too like Colm am looking to get into Affiliate Marketing, but as a complete newbie I find it very daunting trying to get into it "where to start, who's advice to listen to, what's my niche etc,etc,etc."

I'm sick of the daily grind, driving 4 hours a day too and from work, its madness. I'm not naïve to the fact that it will take hard work, time and dedication.

Any good advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

I've been getting into affiliate marketing over the past few months - it's the PERFECT business model. Have made over a grand so far with very little effort, and there is so much opportunity out there.

A lot of it depends on having an audience, or lots of traffic - but it's also about building relationships (like everything).

Yes, I feel the same about the model, but having never owned or run a business I find it very daunting to do so!

Where do I start, do I have to register as a business before I even look into creating a website or do I even have to have a web site to do AFM etc. So many guru's out there, can be quite a head melt to be honest, all I know is that when I put my mind to something I can do fairly good at it and affiliate marketing SEEMS like a great business model to pursue, as I said where to start though.

Thanks

Gareth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Garbzr20v wrote: »
    Yes, I feel the same about the model, but having never owned or run a business I find it very daunting to do so!

Where do I start, do I have to register as a business before I even look into creating a website or do I even have to have a web site to do AFM etc. So many guru's out there, can be quite a head melt to be honest, all I know is that when I put my mind to something I can do fairly good at it and affiliate marketing SEEMS like a great business model to pursue, as I said where to start though.

Thanks

Gareth

All the tax and registering a business stuff can wait until you are making something first :) I'd suggest starting with a simple beginners guide to affiliate marketing (just do a google), and I am also starting an affiliate marketing group on Facebook, if you'd like to join.

I will be doing updates on how I am getting on with my own new affiliate site, so it should be pretty interesting!

All the tax and registering a business stuff can wait until you are making something first :) I'd suggest starting with a simple beginners guide to affiliate marketing (just do a google), and I am also starting an affiliate marketing group on Facebook, if you'd like to join.

I will be doing updates on how I am getting on with my own new affiliate site, so it should be pretty interesting!
    Thanks for the advice.

Yes cool, I would be interested in joining the group on Facebook, would be great to get others opinions on stuff and eventually if, No WHEN I get up and running to give back! Send on the link when you can. Thanks

Anywhere you recommend to build a website?

Best of luck with your site by the way!

Gareth.

Garbzr20v wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

Yes cool, I would be interested in joining the group on Facebook, would be great to get others opinions on stuff and eventually if, No WHEN I get up and running to give back! Send on the link when you can. Thanks

Anywhere you recommend to build a website?

Best of luck with your site by the way!

Gareth.

Hey Gareth,

Here is a beginners resource list I put together after a Talk I gave to people in Dublin in November about getting into Affiliate Marketing:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-top-affiliate-marketing-resources-beginners-eoin-casey/

Reach out to me if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Keith1111

Looking to start this but I'm not sure how to get started and to do taxes etc

How you get on. Looking to start myself any tips etc

• Advertisement

I've been getting into affiliate marketing over the past few months - it's the PERFECT business model. Have made over a grand so far with very little effort, and there is so much opportunity out there.

A lot of it depends on having an audience, or lots of traffic - but it's also about building relationships (like everything).
    What website or Host you using any tips for a total newbie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This thread is nearly a year and a half old...start a new one if you want to discuss a topic instead of resurrecting one this old.

Also, you might find the Internet Marketing forum more suitable.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=985

Axwell wrote: »
    This thread is nearly a year and a half old...start a new one if you want to discuss a topic instead of resurrecting one this old.

Also, you might find the Internet Marketing forum more suitable.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=985

The Internet Marketing forum on here is dead. 9 Threads have had posts in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

I have a site with hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors making some very nice passive income. It's taken 5 years though, so if anyone is looking for this to happen quickly with minimal work, close your browser now and focus on your day job :)

It's all about building traffic and / or an audience, and then monetising with display ads, affiliate marketing, online courses and so on.

Some excellent resources for newbies I'd recommend (thank me later!):

Income School on YouTube
    NichePursuits.com
    Backlinko.com

Start there and come back with any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Usually affiliated sites get earning via referring the products of eCommerce sites like Amazon, eBay. With whom are you going to be affiliated? Keep in mind, a real effort is required to make such sites successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ParkaPad

Hi Everyone!

I've been researching affiliate marketing for a long time now, and I have a good understanding of how to get started. I want to contact people from Ireland who are doing it or have done it to have a chat about things. It seems very hard to find the information directly related to Ireland, regarding taxes and just people who have experience doing it.

Any help is really appreciated; I'm eager to start this as a full-time business! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Have you started to work on affiliate marketing?
    Have you been able to get any kind of Irish insight?
    ParkaPad wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

I've been researching affiliate marketing for a long time now, and I have a good understanding of how to get started. I want to contact people from Ireland who are doing it or have done it to have a chat about things. It seems very hard to find the information directly related to Ireland, regarding taxes and just people who have experience doing it.

Any help is really appreciated; I'm eager to start this as a full-time business! :)

Advertisement