Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit can't make online purchases

Options
  • 09-10-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi, I've tried using my Visa Debit card twice today for online purchases. Both times it was declined. Does the card need to be activated in order to use online? It works fine in ATMs/contactless etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi musiknonstop,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear this.

If it is a new card you would need to activate the card at a BOI ATM before you can use it online.

Would the funds be cleared on your account as in have you lodged a cheque recently as cheques can take 3-5 working days to clear.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.  

Thanks,

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Hi musiknonstop,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear this.

If it is a new card you would need to activate the card at a BOI ATM before you can use it online.

Would the funds be cleared on your account as in have you lodged a cheque recently as cheques can take 3-5 working days to clear.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.  

Thanks,

Kareana
    Hi,

There are funds in the account. I just tried to make a payment of €5 to Leap Card and again the transaction was declined. 

Hi musiknonstop,

Have you ever made a online transaction before with the card?

Have you activated the card at a BOI ATM?

Have you checked the 365 online to ensure the transactions haven't came out as it maybe a issue with the website.

Thanks,

Kareana

Hi musiknonstop,

Have you ever made a online transaction before with the card?

Have you activated the card at a BOI ATM?

Have you checked the 365 online to ensure the transactions haven't came out as it maybe a issue with the website.

Thanks,

Kareana
    Hi Kareana, 
    Thanks for your help. I generally make online purchases with a credit card, but as I'm paying fees for the debit card, I'd like the facility to be available there too.
    I've tried 3 different sites to make purchases today, (revolut, An Post and Leap) all declined. The card was activated at an atm when I first received it.

Hi musiknonstop,

Can you confirm are you seeing anything about the 1 time passcode required to complete the purchase?

Can you tell me how you activated the card as in did you withdrawal funds? 

If this still continues you will need to submit your query through the Online Service Desk when you are logged in online and an advisor with account access will be happy to help you.   

Thanks,

Kareana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Give them a ring. They may have flagged your card for a fraud through no fault of your own 

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Give them a ring. They may have flagged your card for a fraud through no fault of your own 
    Thanks Ally Dick, Kareana, I'll call them up. Looks like it could be something to do with recent changes to 3D Secure. 

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This happened me two/three weeks ago and I rang and was told my card wasn't flagged buy any of the fraud checks and couldn't understand why it was happening and blamed multiple websites for the issue not the card.

They ended up sending me a new card which now works fine.

Advertisement