Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loot boxes and Micro-transactions

Options

Comments

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Another of Sterling's poor rants aimed at the rabid fanboys who lap up every poorly researched video he puts out. From his rant this time he is arguing that a company listening to public feedback and making changes to end of level rewards is proof that they delibertly messed around with rewards to sell loot crates. Maybe they just listened to the fanbase and made the changes they were asked for but not in Sterling's mind it's some ridiculous confession, I wonder if he has any thoughts on 9/11 and how it is a conspiracy. Also, his argument that they changed the game under threat of legislation is nonsense.

• Nah, they reacted to the market and the kickback. Including the possibility of legislation.
    It sure is a confession of the ****e they attempted. Disabling the credit system proved this.

Nah, they reacted to the market and the kickback. Including the possibility of legislation.
    It sure is a confession of the ****e they attempted. Disabling the credit system proved this.

Or it could be them taking the feedback and backlash on board and working to deliver the game people want but hey no doubt Sterling has the inside track and isn't known for his poorly researched reactionary videos in which he offers little that can't be gleaned from the headlines of click bait gaming sites.

Company does something gamers dislike and gamers proceed to pile hatred upon them going so far as to attack them for not protecting poor gambling addicts. Company reacts, makes the changes gamers are asking for and they're confessing something. I think at this stage that all those enraged over loot crates won't be happy till EA goes under and everyone loses their job simply because they can't do loot crates like Blizzard do. Strange that with all the talk of protecting vulnerable people, we're not seeing people attacking Blizzard for their loot crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Any game that purposefully elongates progression, be that character progression or access to content, by offering alternative solutions in exchange for money should be the target of any impassioned fan, irrespective of brand loyalties or nostalgia.

If a game has been designed to deliberately be longer, more difficult, or complex in order to facilitate the introduction of loot boxes (and, by extension, a monetary solution to that prolonged prohibitive wall) should be widely condemned. It doesn't matter if it is cosmetic or otherwise.

If a game charges full price for entry then it should come as a complete package. It should be designed in such a way as to enable its customers to feel fulfilled by the content and its execution. If the game goes over budget, past its deadline or does not financially perform, then the onus of that falls on management and design. The customers should not be punished for the mistakes of those in charge.

It is not the customer's responsibility to ensure a game sells well. If your game requires lootboxes to cover costs, reduce losses, or ensure profitability then you have not made a good game and probably shouldn't be in the business of game development.

Fans, publishers, developers, have enjoyed games without lootboxes thus far and yet can continue to build and create wonderful games without them. For every 'Games are more expensive to make' arguments, there are hundreds of highly successful examples of games being produced on smaller budgets and in teams consisting of less people. If you can't afford AAA without using lootboxes, then you shouldn't be trying to make a AAA game. If the expensive AAA game is an excellent title, then charge appropriately and entrust in the product you have created to yield financially promising returns.

Simple, really.

• HAHAHAHA EA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Jaysus,have some respect for peoples time here,im not gonna keep watching 10-20 minutes just to try get the point thats being made.

• EoinHef wrote: »
    Jaysus,have some respect for peoples time here,im not gonna keep watching 10-20 minutes just to try get the point thats being made.

Maybe don't watch them then? You were willing to spend the time to moan about it :P

Maybe don't watch them then? You were willing to spend the time to moan about it :P

Well that sentence took 20 seconds,this one about the same.

If i was to watch every video you have put up id be well into hours at this stage. Cant take any of your arguement seriously if you just keep relying on videos for your point. In fact videos that have been proven to have inaccurate/falsehoods on occasion too.

Well that sentence took 20 seconds,this one about the same.

If i was to watch every video you have put up id be well into hours at this stage. Cant take any of your arguement seriously if you just keep relying on videos for your point. In fact videos that have been proven to have inaccurate/falsehoods on occasion too.

Well this is a thread about lootboxes and microtransactions and I will continue to post them. Its relative news associated with on on-going issue. Think you might just need to get over it.
    And who has proven that they are false?

Well this is a thread about lootboxes and microtransactions and I will continue to post them. Its relative news associated with on on-going issue. Think you might just need to get over it.
    And who has proven that they are false?

Well if you cant form your own opinion or at least summarise the videos fair enough. Ill just ignore the posts.

Other posters have debunked some of the staements in some of the vids,im not gonna waste more time by finding them for you:P

• Advertisement

Well if you cant form your own opinion or at least summarise the videos fair enough. Ill just ignore the posts.

Other posters have debunked some of the staements in some of the vids,im not gonna waste more time by finding them for you:P

I've shared my opinions fully on this thread multiple times. I'm not going to repeat myself.
    Further developments I'm sharing on this thread as they come in.
    That's it really.

• Poor Sales for BF2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Poor Sales for BF2

Well, they did turn countless customers away with their lootbox tactics.

Remember: you can't spell steal without EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I guess people are voting with their wallets. Seen this pop up in loads of message forums so people are pissed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

How do you **** up a slam-dunk like a Star Wars shooter?

I'm delighted that players seem to have drawn a line in the sand but fear that the wrong lessons will be learned by EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

How do you **** up a slam-dunk like a Star Wars shooter?

I'm delighted that players seem to have drawn a line in the sand but fear that the wrong lessons will be learned by EA.

heh i can draw up the board room whiteboard for their next meeting:

Pay to win = BAD

Cosmetic = GOOD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw BBC news running a story last night about loot-box gambling specifically CSGO skins. They were discussing it again this morning along the lines of "Won't somebody please think of the children" Didn't see EA get a mention. They had some "expert" on this morning but didn't hear what was being said.

EoinHef wrote: »

Why have an opinion when you can just copy Jim Sterling's.

• Why have an opinion when you can just copy Jim Sterling's.

False, I've shared mine multiple times.
    You are selective with your post reading however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

EA is always selective at how they respond to things. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Why have an opinion when you can just copy Jim Sterling's.

You know his opinion on the matter. He's argued it with you ad nauseam over a couple of threads…

You know his opinion on the matter. He's argued it with you ad nauseam over a couple of threads…

M!CK's argument is that Loot Crates are gambling but he only really seems to have a problem with them when EA uses Loot Crates given that he seems to have no issue with games like Overwatch using them. I'm all for Loot Crates going the way of the Dodo but honestly, have far more issue with how Destiny 2 uses them than Battlefront 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Destiny is cosmetic only so what's the issue there, and a changing selection of the items can be bought directly without using real money or random loot boxes.

• M!CK's argument is that Loot Crates are gambling but he only really seems to have a problem with them when EA uses Loot Crates given that he seems to have no issue with games like Overwatch using them. I'm all for Loot Crates going the way of the Dodo but honestly, have far more issue with how Destiny 2 uses them than Battlefront 2.
    Am I? I hate them for both reasons actually.

False, I've said this to you multiple times. Don't like them for gambling and don't like them for pay2win progression.
    These are the main reasons they are problematic and EA are the biggest and most guilty party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

M!CK's argument is that Loot Crates are gambling but he only really seems to have a problem with them when EA uses Loot Crates given that he seems to have no issue with games like Overwatch using them.

Lol Mick and myself AND many others have told you why multiple times, how can you just come back and say the above? Are you seeing this post? HELLO! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Varik wrote: »
    Destiny is cosmetic only so what's the issue there, and a changing selection of the items can be bought directly without using real money or random loot boxes.

So why have loot boxes in the game at all? Loot boxes that are paid for with real money should be removed from all games.

False, I've said this to you multiple times. Don't like them for gambling and don't like them for pay2win progression.
    These are the main reasons they are problematic and EA are the biggest and most guilty party.

How are Loot Crates in Battlefront 2 more problematic than Overwatch or any other game if you are so concerned with gambling? Surely all Loot Crates, no matter what they offer are just as bad as each other? You've had a go at EA saying that their Loot Crates were disgusting for targeting children and the vulnerable but isn't that what Overwatch and Destiny 2 are doing also? How are their loot crates any less problematic?
    Varik wrote: »

The problem with Destiny is that it has a base game, Loot Crates, a season pass and additional DLC. If it only had Loot Crates then fine but it's really trying to get every last cent out of gamers. At least with Battlefront 2 they are offering the season pass for free.

• nix wrote: »
    Lol Mick and myself AND many others have told you why multiple times, how can you just come back and say the above? Are you seeing this post? HELLO! :rolleyes:

Exactly.
    It's really starting to get tiresome repeating the same thing over and over to Darko and it's as if he/she can't or won't read them.

• Advertisement

Exactly.
    It's really starting to get tiresome repeating the same thing over and over to Darko and it's as if he/she can't or won't read them.

Read everything, you just never seem to reply when I ask something like, if you are so against Lot Crates because of how they prey on children and the vulnerable then why are you not attacking Blizzard and Activision? If you are so concerned with gambling and Loot Crates then surely it doesn't matter if the items are cosmetic or pay to win?

Advertisement