Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction

Options
  • 09-10-2017 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057790637

I got an infraction from this thread here.

I feel a couple of problems with this.

Primarily my issue is that the acceptable tolerance of discussion is far too narrow. In this particular issue I think the point of discussion being banned is central to the matter, so much so that it was brought immediately to the forefront by the presenter in question herself!

Even with that in mind my post clearly did not invoke offence not make a judgment on the matter.

It is neither off-topic, nor is it hateful, abusive nor negative in any way. To me it's a silencing treatment which takes down certain posters for other reasons.

To compound matters the infraction was sent a couple of days after the fact, and I had made no further posts to begin with! I also feel that the fact that the "red card" issued (I've no idea what this means) goes beyond what I think is reasonable.

I've contacted the mod on the 6th without response.

I've no real issue in terms of seeking to contribute to that thread again but I think certain standards about what mods can throw about as disallowed points of discussion need to be met, with particular emphasis on what constitutes breaking these limits too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Good morning ligerdub,

as you've contacted the mods already, I've let the CMods know about this DRP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hi ligerdub,

I've had a look at this and while I appreciate that the fact that your post was not offensive, the issue is that you ignored and disputed the mod warning on thread. Disagreeing with the mod's decision re: whether the discussion of the topic should be allowed is no excuse. You should have pm'd one of the mods with your feedback and if you weren't satisfied with the response you could have contacted a cmod.

Frankly, the Radio mods are very lenient, which has sadly been been taken advantage of many troublemakers in the forum. However, I don't believe you are one of them. So since you have no other warnings or infractions in the forum and seem to have dropped into the thread in question, I'm going to lower the red card to a warning (yellow card).

Let us know if this is acceptable or if you want to appeal it to an admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Hi ligerdub,

I've had a look at this and while I appreciate that the fact that your post was not offensive, the issue is that you ignored and disputed the mod warning on thread. Disagreeing with the mod's decision re: whether the discussion of the topic should be allowed is no excuse. You should have pm'd one of the mods with your feedback and if you weren't satisfied with the response you could have contacted a cmod.

Frankly, the Radio mods are very lenient, which has sadly been been taken advantage of many troublemakers in the forum. However, I don't believe you are one of them. So since you have no other warnings or infractions in the forum and seem to have dropped into the thread in question, I'm going to lower the red card to a warning (yellow card).

Let us know if this is acceptable or if you want to appeal it to an admin.

Yep, that seems fair to me (in terms of my own actions and outcome).

Thanks for review.

(I'd consider the point though about whether it's for the benefit of the forum as to where we draw the line on what topics can be disallowed or shut down from debate (and the interpretation of what falls under that category).....but that's more of a "suggestion box" idea. I don't really know how this works though so I'm just throwing that out there. I'm happy enough to leave it at that though. Cheers)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks ligerdub.

Your other comment into feedback which I'd suggest discussing with the Radio mods. The Radio forum has developed an extremely toxic atmosphere around many of these issues. It's an ongoing problem and I think the mods are doing their best to address it, but it means they sometimes have to restrict what can be discussed in certain threads just as mods in other forums will do the same.

This can be marked as resolved now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement