Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant no money to fix work they did

Options
  • 09-10-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi looking for some advice. We are accidental landlords with no experience in this business. We let house to RAS tenant. House immaculate when we gave it to them. We have tenant who carried out work in house without our permission, painted most of house, paint now on floor, door frames, skirting boards, radiators, carpet. Very bad paint job. Also painted mahogany stair case white, then stripped it leaving chunks out of stairs. We asked her to get painter in to advise if it could be brought back to the way it was. Also pet on premises they are insisting isn't going.

We have issued breach letter giving her 30 days to rectify issues including get rid of pet and replacing carpet where paint spilt on it as it was new when they went in. Time up now and they now say they have not got the money to rectify the bad paint job and will not get rid of pet. We have said we will work with you and give more time if needed. They said doesn't matter don't have money to do anything and doesn't see what the problem is. They think we are too fussy. We were told by tenant that we would have to paint the house for them anyway as they are RAS and 5 yr contract. Are we being unreasonable ?

Are we being too particular expecting them to keep property up to standard it was given in. Just wondering where do we go from here. Basically I see we have a tenant not prepared to work with us at all on anything we ask.
    Do we just leave them there until the end of the tenancy which has another 3 years left.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Get legal advice. Do everything by the book and get rid of them asap. No ifs or buts. In three years time you will be left with a shell at best if you don't get rid

Get advice on what is the best and easiest route for evicting them and get on it straight away. You need to get rid of them asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mandy2012

Thanks for advice. We were doubting ourselves thinking we were too fussy. I am just so worried about not having a strong enough case if goes to RTB as anything I read is all for the tenant and against the landlord even if tenant in the wrong.

When we went for inspection in evening time 2 rooms conveniently had no light bulbs at all, apparently bulbs went and hadn't got a change to get new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Get advice on what is the best and easiest route for evicting them and get on it straight away. You need to get rid of them asap.

Jump the gun much?

OP i get that what they did was wrong but do they pay rent on time? Is this the only issue you have with them? Are you taking the house back in the near future? As the bad paint job only affects them right now i would tell them that they have to put in writing that the painting will be fixed before they move out, if you're not looking to take the house back now that gives them potentially years to pay for it. And tell them not to do anything else to the house without your express permission in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

From what you have said so far, it's not going to get better. They will never gain respect for the property. If you want to evict them you are going to need a Lawyer, as they are a social welfare tenant and a single step or word wrong will end up with huge fines for you from the equity ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

rawn wrote: »
    Jump the gun much?

OP i get that what they did was wrong but do they pay rent on time? Is this the only issue you have with them? Are you taking the house back in the near future? As the bad paint job only affects them right now i would tell them that they have to put in writing that the painting will be fixed before they move out, if you're not looking to take the house back now that gives them potentially years to pay for it. And tell them not to do anything else to the house without your express permission in future.

Lets go over this so far.

Repainted internal walls without permission. Which cumlinated in

Hi Rawn,

Ye rent paid on time. Its just the tenant not willing to do anything that bothers us. The person said they are doing a 2 year course so will not have any money to do anything. They don't seem willing to come up with any plan not now or in the future. They will not get rid of pet. There are a couple of smaller issues which we can overlook. Yes we have told them no more work on house without our permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Painting a mahogany stairs white?! Cretins.

Get rid of 'em ASAP. The fact that they're so brazen about it makes it worse, really shows they don't even grasp the basic landlord-tenant relationship. Keep the security deposit at the very least.
    Jump the gun much?

They've shown they have contempt for the house and total ignorance of appropriate behaviour - even now they are continuing in violation of the tenancy by keeping a pet. They will be a continuing nightmare for the entire period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Jump the gun much?

OP, whatever you do, do not follow this advice, it's awful. You will be kicking yourself down the line. rawn thinks it's perfectly fine to ruin carpet other furniture with paint, and keeping pets against the landlords will, that's fine too. :rolleyes:

Get rid of these tenants asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm a private tenant and I wouldn't consider these people as good tenants. I'd try getting rid.

Whatever about hanging the odd picture about the place but painting the house and doing a crap job of it is taking the piss.

I'd look at getting rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

They are testing your resolve. Be a doormat to them now and that's all you'll ever be to them.
    They've wrecked your house and told you to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Jump the gun much?

What about the pet they won't go rid off?

I absolutely do not think it's ok, i just don't think that the answer to every tenant issue is "evict them"! Tbh OP would probably end up worse off if they overhold, which they will if they're as broke as they claim to be!

The bad paint job needs to be fixed when they move out, not before. Let them live with the bad paint job. Obviously take the money to repaint out of their deposit when they do move out.
    I actually forgot about the pet when I replied to the OP. This would be the more immediate issue to me. Dog or cat? Have they damaged the house? Have the neighbors complained?

I absolutely do not think it's ok, i just don't think that the answer to every tenant issue is "evict them"! Tbh OP would probably end up worse off if they overhold, which they will if they're as broke as they claim to be!

The bad paint job needs to be fixed when they move out, not before. Let them live with the bad paint job. Obviously take the money to repaint out of their deposit when they do move out.
    I actually forgot about the pet when I replied to the OP. This would be the more immediate issue to me. Dog or cat? Have they damaged the house? Have the neighbors complained?

You would be incredibly soft (and running your business appallingly) to let the tenants off with their blatant breaking of the rules. What rule will they break next, because you can be guaranteed they will do plenty more things wrong if they are not got rid off.

Repainting a house and ruining a stairs are both severe breaches of a the lease. Pets are banned for good reason by LLs too so no excuse is good enough to justify breaking the terms of the lease, the fact they are being so cheeky also makes it worse.

Get rid of them op and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Galadriel wrote: »
    What about the pet they won't go rid off?
    Could the OP confirm whether it was made absolutely crystal clear at the beginning of the tenancy and stated in the tenancy agreement that pets were not allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Get rid of them. They are not showing any respect for your property. I would also be concerned about what else they might do to the house if they would paint a mahogany stairs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

LOL.
    Have you any idea how expensive that paint job will be? For a whole house? You're talking about 800 euro worth of paint at least, and 2k of paint stripping, re-caulking, professional cleaning and possible replacement of carpets, plus THEN the actual painter of another 1.5 -2k. 
    Unless there is 5k of a deposit, there's no way of getting it.

No it wasn't made clear about pets. Its a RAS tenant who moved from a previous house to our under RAS. I assumed they would know what was in the contract, no pets. It is a lizard type thing in a cage. We have had such conflicting advice from family and friends.

One side is we are very fussy expecting tenant to keep house to the standard we gave it in and that pet is in cage so cant really damage property and that we should just leave them there that we will have to do up property anyway.

Other people saying why let them do what they want in your property that you are paying for and causing further damage.

We are prepared to work with this tenant and have so far. They have even gone so far as to phone RAS about us saying that my husband was bullying them by doing an inspection. Then refusing us a further inspection to follow up, we involved RAS and they phoned tenant telling them to allow inspection. RAS of course have now washed their hands and tenant is saying they need to go to RTB now as there is lack of communication. Just feel like we are banging our head off a wall trying to get through to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

mandy2012 wrote: »
    No it wasn't made clear about pets. Its a RAS tenant who moved from a previous house to our under RAS. I assumed they would know what was in the contract, no pets. It is a lizard type thing in a cage. We have had such conflicting advice from family and friends.

One side is we are very fussy expecting tenant to keep house to the standard we gave it in and that pet is in cage so cant really damage property and that we should just leave them there that we will have to do up property anyway.

Other people saying why let them do what they want in your property that you are paying for and causing further damage.

We are prepared to work with this tenant and have so far. They have even gone so far as to phone RAS about us saying that my husband was bullying them by doing an inspection. Then refusing us a further inspection to follow up, we involved RAS and they phoned tenant telling them to allow inspection. RAS of course have now washed their hands and tenant is saying they need to go to RTB now as there is lack of communication. Just feel like we are banging our head off a wall trying to get through to them.

Hmm, now that you say it's a lizard in a cage, I personally wouldn't have any issues with it at all.

It's not a cat or dog which sheds hairs and can damage property. Regardless, your house, your rules.

Whatever you do OP, make sure you do it by the book.

Thanks just needed to hear a few opinions to see if we were being over the top or not.

I have just been onto RTB to see if tenant registered a complaint and yes they did and looked for mediation. So now we have to wait for someone from RTB to contact us to mediate.

• Advertisement

Hmm, now that you say it's a lizard in a cage, I personally wouldn't have any issues with it at all.

It's not a cat or dog which sheds hairs and can damage property. Regardless, your house, your rules. .

To be fair - this is exactly right - I kept them for years myself, it's really no different to having a fish tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

would agree with the Lizard. Won't do any damage. 
    Re law: I do think the same rules apply here as to the private tenancy sector. i don't think you are wrong in stating they are damaging the property and don't want to repair it. I would be pretty sure the RTB will find in your favor and either instruct the tenant to repair the damage or allow you to end the tenancy.
    DO run everything through the RTB and call them for advice if you can. This should not happen at all and I can see why many landlords don't want RAS tenants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well if their lease says no pets then they dont get a choice in wether they have pets there or not, tell them to get rid of the pet or else face eviction for breaking the lease.

mandy2012 wrote:
    I have just been onto RTB to see if tenant registered a complaint and yes they did and looked for mediation. So now we have to wait for someone from RTB to contact us to mediate.

Fingers crossed the mediator will tell them to fix the painting /carpet! Keep a copy of your lease at hand and go through each paragraph, point by point, and ask if they understand each point. The best the mediator can do (imo) is get the tenant to agree to a payment plan. I would doubt they would be told to get rid of the pet as it wouldn't bother neighbors or damage the house in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Fingers crossed the mediator will tell them to fix the painting /carpet! Keep a copy of your lease at hand and go through each paragraph, point by point, and ask if they understand each point. The best the mediator can do (imo) is get the tenant to agree to a payment plan. I would doubt they would be told to get rid of the pet as it wouldn't bother neighbors or damage the house in any way.

Mediator will 'suggest' they fix it, do you honestly think they are going to come up with all the money and put things right.... on the basis of a mediators suggestion?
    Given what they've told the LL already!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would doubt they would be told to get rid of the pet as it wouldn't bother neighbors or damage the house in any way.

Well if its in the lease for no pets I cant see the RTB telling the tenants to keep the pet as they are activly telling them to break the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

mandy2012 wrote: »
    Thanks just needed to hear a few opinions to see if we were being over the top or not.

In the meantime contact a solr that has expertise in this field and bring them to the mediation. Also, inspect your house again & take photos of all the damage. Bring those photos to the mediation meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mediator will 'suggest' they fix it, do you honestly think they are going to come up with all the money and put things right.... on the basis of a mediators suggestion?

Also the op's been refused inspection ... I'm sure that's in the agreement too.
    Is there something more to hide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Don'

t forget that with a RAS tenant the council pays the rent - if the RTB states they need to pay it back there might be a way to get the money back through the council. if that's not possible OP. I would go for termination of the tenancy due to various breaches of the tenancy act and the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Poor Tenant, But tbf to them Mahogany Staircases are gank so can forgive that much :) probably not the shody work they made of it.

Advertisement