Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing a house. Then estimating costs

Options
  • 09-10-2017 2:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am in the process for the last while of viewing houses. No luck yet. I know one can go in to a house and it may be advertised for 300,000, that's fine, at least, I know the ball park figure there, + or - (if things dont get too silly with bidding etc)

My problem is when I go in to a house and I would like to do changes, which depending on the house could be anything from:

law down tiles in hall and kitchen, do up a bathroom
    knock a concrete wall and open up room
    move kitchen from current location to further out in back lawn i.e extension etc
    dryline all the walls
    put in a new kitchen
    re do back lawn
    build a concrete shed out the back
    replace current stairs
    paint outside and inside of house, new carpet all round
    etc etc

I know my examples above are not very specific and every case is different, but so is every house. Some houses might need a lot of work, some not so much, but im open either way.

For the ones that need work done, my problem is just simply estimating how much more I need to spend, like to knock a concrete wall, does it costs 1000 or 5000 (just an example) , I dont know, and this is my big problem. I have no knowledge of these costs.

Who is the best person to engage before purchasing a house to estimate how much works could cost?

Would they normally be in a position to come and view a house if one was in the very very interested stage - to give a cost estimation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Would they normally be in a position to come and view a house if one was in the very very interested stage - to give a cost estimation ?

You could arrange visits and get a quote. Word of advise though, in my opinion there is no value in buying a "needs work" house in Ireland. Your much better off saving and just picking up a turn key house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

You could arrange visits and get a quote. Word of advise though, in my opinion there is no value in buying a "needs work" house in Ireland. Your much better off saving and just picking up a turn key house.

I'd be of the opposite opinion, turn key houses attract all the bidders and usually go way over asking. Houses needing work put all lot of people off.
    Although it depends how much work you can do yourself. I would hate having to pay for even the smallest job!
    Try pick a house that will only need cosmetic work/modernisation. Extensions aren't cheap.

The Mulk wrote: »
    I'd be of the opposite opinion, turn key houses attract all the bidders and usually go way over asking. Houses needing work put all lot of people off.
    Although it depends how much work you can do yourself. I would hate having to pay for even the smallest job!
    Try pick a house that will only need cosmetic work/modernisation. Extensions aren't cheap.

Not in Dublin. You can have houses that have 100k in "work" between them but the difference in price is half that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Thanks for replies, but can we keep to the questions I am asking. who is best to engage etc

Thanks for replies, but can we keep to the questions I am asking. who is best to engage etc

Right, I'm going to take a guess and say you have never had or done building work.

You "can" find a builder, expect to pay to have him come to multiple houses to give rough quotes.

Quotes can be 10-30% either side of what you get in terms of ball park figures at a viewing.

Take a bathroom for example. Tiling could be 200 or 2 grand, same with bathroom fittings. It's all dependant on labour, time, finish and cost of materials.

You really need to know "exactly" what you want before you start. You can use other houses for example.

• Advertisement

Back on-topic, i was quoted €4,500 to take down a supporting wall between a dining room and Kitchen.
    A Quantity Surveyor will be able to price all the work for you, but if you contact tradesmen they can give you rough ideas. You really need to know what you want done and set your budget or it can become a money pit.
    As Cuddlesworth said buy the finished house, especially if you've no experience or background in building.
    It takes time and money. An extension could set you back 60-70k if you need new kitchen etc.

Right, I'm going to take a guess and say you have never had or done building work.

You "can" find a builder, expect to pay to have him come to multiple houses to give rough quotes.

Quotes can be 10-30% either side of what you get in terms of ball park figures at a viewing.

Take a bathroom for example. Tiling could be 200 or 2 grand, same with bathroom fittings. It's all dependant on labour, time, finish and cost of materials.

You really need to know "exactly" what you want before you start. You can use other houses for example.

The answer is yes to your question. Which is why I am asking the question in the first place.

But high level, a Builder is the person I need to engage to give me a high level ball park figure of costs.

The answer is yes to your question. Which is why I am asking the question in the first place.

But high level, a Builder is the person I need to engage to give me a high level ball park figure of costs.

Check out the price/costs board on here.
    I found it good when trying to get rough prices or for advice.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1245

The Mulk wrote: »

Back on-topic, i was quoted €4,500 to take down a supporting wall between a dining room and Kitchen.
    A Quantity Surveyor will be able to price all the work for you, but if you contact tradesmen they can give you rough ideas. You really need to know what you want done and set your budget or it can become a money pit.
    As Cuddlesworth said buy the finished house, especially if you've no experience or background in building.
    It takes time and money. An extension could set you back 60-70k if you need new kitchen etc.

Thanks. 4500 g’s , ok. Tricky when they are supporting walls alright.

Sonthis is the thing, who is it best to engage

1. Builder
    2. Architect
    3. Quantity surveyor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Hi there.

I had the exact same problem when I started out house searching . I had no idea how muvh i could bid as i had no idea of costs. I posted a similar thread anout it here but i felt nobody really ' got' my question.

What you have to do is if you are serious about the house to organise to bring a trusty builder. Bring him to a few houses and over time you will learn how much things cost , you will learn, you will develop a more critical eye. My trusty builder did a great job for a friend if mine and I used to text him and ask him to view houses with me. He was a super advisor, not just about costs, but he was also able to spot structural problems and damp and.... just potential problems. He also noticed things like.... light aspect heat etc etc. I listened to him and I learnt. I used to throw him a few quid each time. Also read posts here on boards and you will learn.
    So you need to ask around friernds and work mates for a trusty builder!!!!!

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    Hi there.

I had the exact same problem when I started out house searching . I had no idea how muvh i could bid as i had no idea of costs. I posted a similar thread anout it here but i felt nobody really ' got' my question.

What you have to do is if you are serious about the house to organise to bring a trusty builder. Bring him to a few houses and over time you will learn how much things cost , you will learn, you will develop a more critical eye. My trusty builder did a great job for a friend if mine and I used to text him and ask him to view houses with me. He was a super advisor, not just about costs, but he was also able to spot structural problems and damp and.... just potential problems. He also noticed things like.... light aspect heat etc etc. I listened to him and I learnt. I used to throw him a few quid each time. Also read posts here on boards and you will learn.
    So you need to ask around friernds and work mates for a trusty builder!!!!!

Thanks Wesser. Great reply.
    Glad I’m not the only one. I appreciate the replies - I really do. But yeah, with some of the replies, I feel people do not “get” me either and just miss my question. I sometimes feel really stupid on these forums, most people on here know their stuff and the basic questions I am asking would probably not enter their head.

Anyways, yeah. Having a builder I can trust is key. Anyone know of one in mid galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Who is the best person to engage before purchasing a house to estimate how much works could cost?

I'm a plumber myself and never quote for work until you own the house. I doubt that you will get any trades to quote till you actually own the property.

You should get an engineer to inspect the property before you buy. He/she can give you an idea on pricing of alterations you might want.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm a plumber myself and never quote for work until you own the house. I doubt that you will get any trades to quote till you actually own the property.

You should get an engineer to inspect the property before you buy. He/she can give you an idea on pricing of alterations you might want.

Thanks.

Right. So we have builders, architects, quantity surveyors and now engineers.

What kind of an engineer would do this work ?

I’m just confused again as to who to actually engage !!!

A builder.

An engineer will only comment on the structural aspects.

He won't have a nice about how much it will cost to paint a house. It's not structural.

A builder has knowledge if everything!! He works with engineers architects plumbers.

Most if all you need to find someone you trust and who has alot of experience. You don't need an exact price . Just a rough estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

I STRONGLY disagree with you...

Ooh!!! I like strong disagreements!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What kind of an engineer would do this work ?

You need your building inspected before you buy it. Your bank sends out a surveyor but Purley to value it & to see that it will stand for the duration of the mortgage but you will still need you own inspection. A structural engineer is best for this. While he is inspecting the building he can give you an idea of what works will cost.
    Right. So we have builders, architects, quantity surveyors and now engineers.

Be very careful of "builders". A builder will build you a house or extension. A builder won't go from house to house with you. He will be much too busy for something like this. If he did he wouldn't settle for throwing him a few bob.

When most people say builder they mean a handyman. Some handymen know their stuff but most have never qualified at any trade at all. Ask yourself this, why would a tradesman call himself a handyman when he would earn more per hour by using his real trade name.

Wesser wrote: »
    Ooh!!! I like strong disagreements!!!
    It's the football match I reckon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Well I got a needs work house 7 months ago. We got it for 105k put about 20k(remodeling, new heating system, decoration, furniture etc) mortgage is 46% of my rent at the time. My neighbours house which is in a terrible state just sold for 140k

Well I got a needs work house 7 months ago. We got it for 105k put about 20k(remodeling, new heating system, decoration, furniture etc) mortgage is 46% of my rent at the time. My neighbours house which is in a terrible state just sold for 140k

This! There's simply less demand for fixer uppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

Askthe EA wrote: »
    This! There's simply less demand for fixer uppers.

I would have thought getting mortgage approval on a fixer upper is a lot harder, so right off the bat you're competing with a smaller pool of buyers.

Most of the remaining buyers would have similiar problems and concerns as the OP - i.e how do you accurately cost something on the strength of a couple of viewings. That will put off another swathe.

Sure builders can cost the job, buy the property and do the job themselves; I know of a few builders who kept themselves going during recession buying fixer uppers, but I reckon most would now prefer to take the regular work when there is plenty available.

So you're left with cash rich investors with experience of renovating property.

No I have no idea how many of them are active but certainly they're not as numerous as regular Joes with mortgage approval looking for family home.

Common sense would surely suggest there is value to be had for a buyer with the funds and knowledge to take on a fixer upper.

A fixer upper doesn't have to be expensive. A 3 bed semi needing say a new kitchen,windows flooring painting could be done for 20k. Banks will lend for structural stuff alright but it's a pain.

If you have more than the 10% deposit, you'll be competing with far less buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Askthe EA wrote: »
    A fixer upper doesn't have to be expensive. A 3 bed semi needing say a new kitchen,windows flooring painting could be done for 20k. Banks will lend for structural stuff alright but it's a pain.

If you have more than the 10% deposit, you'll be competing with far less buyers.

That's a 20 year old house
    You can move in and do it slowly. Worst thing that happens is some heat escapes out the windows until they're replaced.
    All you're really doing is redecorating.

Fixer upper to me is one that has all the hallmarks of an executor sale. All thats left is the 70s psychidelic flooring, woodchip on the walls, a poky gloomy kitchen out the back. an avocado toilet for your morning dump. single glazing.
    The house needs to be gutted, the house rewired and replummed. Changes in the internal layout and an extension out the back
    That to me is a fixer upper. Habitable but nasty. Generally the only positive of a fixer upper is that it can't get any worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You asked who you needed. I was in the lucky position of having a site engineer friend married to an architect. However his advice when he wasn't available was to go to a building site and find the foreman and ask him to do it, or to go to the local school and find out who did diy evening classes. Obviously these are just estimates. If you were in Dublin my dad would do it (he's an ex building project manager). He uses the website of the Chartered Institute of Surveyors for per m costs. The reason I didn't use him to do mine is he has an obsession with light. My kitchen is quite dark but it suits me as I only use it in the evening and has lots of mood lighting. I was getting my house painted a few years ago and came home to find my dad had wandered in and met the painter and between them had sketched out plans to remove various walls and put in glass blocks. Thankfully I got home before they progressed to hire a local builder!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

In terms of bringing someone with you, a trusted builder is probably the best option.

There are other options too, in terms of doing some research yourself, that's what I did, but had a fair idea myself e.g.
    New Kitchen - 5-7k from Ikea, >12k anywhere else
    Rewire - 6-7k
    New boiler 4k
    Windows and doors - 10-12k
    Extension - 60-100k
    etc.

In relation to it being cheaper / better value to buy a turn key v's a doer upper, once you know what youre doing, how to get best value, and can do a good chunk of work yourself theres WAY more value in buying a doer upper (in Dublin!!!).

budhabob wrote: »
    In terms of bringing someone with you, a trusted builder is probably the best option.

There are other options too, in terms of doing some research yourself, that's what I did, but had a fair idea myself e.g.
    New Kitchen - 5-7k from Ikea, >12k anywhere else
    Rewire - 6-7k
    New boiler 4k
    Windows and doors - 10-12k
    Extension - 60-100k
    etc.

In relation to it being cheaper / better value to buy a turn key v's a doer upper, once you know what youre doing, how to get best value, and can do a good chunk of work yourself theres WAY more value in buying a doer upper (in Dublin!!!).

brilliant, thanks. This is what im looking for

And finally after all the posts, I am thinking the best person to engage is a decent builder (not architect, not quantity surveyor, not engineer)

Now indeed, you could well engage the architect, engineer and quantity surveyor, but for my needs, a decent builder should know the story better than I ever could.

Thanks for your high level figures.

amtc wrote: »
    You asked who you needed. I was in the lucky position of having a site engineer friend married to an architect. However his advice when he wasn't available was to go to a building site and find the foreman and ask him to do it, or to go to the local school and find out who did diy evening classes. Obviously these are just estimates. If you were in Dublin my dad would do it (he's an ex building project manager). He uses the website of the Chartered Institute of Surveyors for per m costs. The reason I didn't use him to do mine is he has an obsession with light. My kitchen is quite dark but it suits me as I only use it in the evening and has lots of mood lighting. I was getting my house painted a few years ago and came home to find my dad had wandered in and met the painter and between them had sketched out plans to remove various walls and put in glass blocks. Thankfully I got home before they progressed to hire a local builder!

Thank you, your dad must be a fan of Dermot Bannon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Extensions 60-100k????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

When i was buying and had already chosen the house i arranged a few viewings and i brought along trades people to quote for the work i wanted.
    Some trades people are more accommodating than others. Some dont want to view a job when you dont even own the house yet.

Your only option is to start trying to get people to come to the houses with you and quote for work.
    Eventually you will form a ballpark figure of how much things cost.

• Advertisement

When i was buying and had already chosen the house i arranged a few viewings and i brought along trades people to quote for the work i wanted.
    Some trades people are more accommodating than others. Some dont want to view a job when you dont even own the house yet.

Your only option is to start trying to get people to come to the houses with you and quote for work.
    Eventually you will form a ballpark figure of how much things cost.

yeah, I can imagine the hassle of trying to get trades people in - especially when they may not be guaranteed a job.

I am thinking it will be hard enough just to get 1 person, i.e a builder in to have a gander )

Advertisement