Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will you/ when should you put up your Halloween decorations?

• 09-10-2017 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I've passed two houses today with their garden/porch Halloween decorations already up!

9th Oct - bit early isn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

I'd rather not put up decorations at all for Halloween but now that it's all the rage & my kids see them in other houses you're kind of forced to. Not a big fan of Halloween at all but kids love it so will probably stick a skeleton or two up in the week running up :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

LordSutch wrote: »
    I've passed two houses today with their garden/porch Halloween decorations already up!

9th Oct - bit early isn't it?

Feck sake my neighbour has theirs up weeks at this stage :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

Jaysus. Halloween decorations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Halloween decorations?? This isn't America, like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The morning of the day itself, it makes it more fun then as the entire day is given over to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is putting up Halloween decorations a thing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only Halloween decorations anyone needs is a truck-load of pallets, some old doors and sofas and a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We never put up Halloween decorations in my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

We never put up decorations for St. Halloween's Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

We don't put up Halloween decorations. People are trying to turn Halloween into a festive event. It ain't. It's one day where you go a bit lakes and wear a bin bag. No build up or decorations needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Halloween? Don’t you mean Disconnect Doorbell Day, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Halloween Decorations! I might get a few bags of sweets in, incase the neighbour hood kids come a knocking, there again, I might just go out instead so that I dont have to ignore the doorbell and hide behind the blinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I just let the spiders build their webs in the house - much cheaper than buying decorations.
    The outside of the house looks kinda $hitty anyway, so it works in my favour for one night of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Now that the kids are a little older we don't bother with Halloween decorations but when we did, they went up a few days before hand - never more than a week.

I live along a small ring of 16 houses all facing each other. I've two neighbours who put up their Christmas decorations while taking down their Halloween ones, ie. first of November!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Never. This is Ireland, not America. I don't know where this malarkey came from in the last few years. In my day it was about children wearing cheap plastic masks. No one over the age of about twelve cared about it, except maybe for teenage scumbags setting off bangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Nope. Not ever going there. Christmas is enough, thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Christmas decorations now on sale in Woodies DIY > alongside/behind the Halloween decorations :cool:

What next? Easter eggs on sale in the run up to Christmas?

The World's gone crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Never. This is Ireland, not America. I don't know where this malarkey came from in the last few years. In my day it was about children wearing cheap plastic masks. No one over the age of about twelve cared about it, except maybe for teenage scumbags setting off bangers.

It is an Irish pre-Christian holiday/celebration, so i like the thought of us celebrating it, just not with imported customs and traditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Christmas decorations now on sale in Woodies DIY > alongside/behind the Halloween decorations :cool:

What next? Easter eggs on sale in the run up to Christmas?

The World's gone crazy.

They started selling Cadbury's mini eggs during the summer holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Can everybody PM the OP with their projected decoration schedule before proceeding?

We need to move forward with this ASAP as the festive offence period will be upon us before we know it.

Thx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

My missus is German and didn't grow up celebrating Halloween and now she is definitely making up for it. She started working on her costume last month. The decorations have been bought but I told her to wait a bit as she wanted to put them up the last week in September. She's already bought pumpkins and she ordered pumpkin spice mix online because she wants to make a pumpkin pie. I keep buying her Halloween sweets and she is delighted, brownie points for me. I think she is cute. Love is truly blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    They started selling Cadbury's mini eggs during the summer holidays.

This is perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Someone in my neighbourhood has giant spiders over their window and it looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'm putting up a few Halloween decorations this evening. The build-up to fancy dress parties has begun!

I laugh at the outrage others putting up decorations seems to cause some Boards users.
    I'm sure I'll be having fun at a fancy dress party while some boardsies will be typing furiously how much they hate Halloween. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

The amount of Halloween bedgrudgers in this thread is almost beyond belief. It doesn't address what the OP asked at all either. I bet some of them steal sweets from kids too. :pac:

OP, put them up when you want to! Forget the neighbours!

I loved this period as a kid, and as an adult, what do you know, it hasn't worn off. Now I make sure all my nieces and nephews have a great time. I studied in continental Europe where few celebrate it or have ever seen it in person and I held a big bash at my apartment and everyone loved it. I also lived in North America and it was of course enormous there, no limits. I bought decorations yesterday. This week I'll put them up with the kids and I'm planning a family party at my house for the night itself. I bought a truck-load of pumpkins last year and had a big pumpkin-carving with all the kids, I'll be doing it bigger this year. (I'm typing this and I now see just how many begrudgers are going to quote this and vomit, that being their nature :pac: )

If I hear one more American say Halloween is American, they're going to get a pumpkin thrown at them. ;)

Bottom line OP, is do what you want, as much as you want. Whatever makes you happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I don't mind the decorations, I think they are fun! Some people are very creative about their houses of horrors. But I wouldn't be bothered myself, I don't have kids so it's pointless. Also decorations = treats so most kids stay away from the non decorated houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

My missus is German and didn't grow up celebrating Halloween and now she is definitely making up for it. She started working on her costume last month. The decorations have been bought but I told her to wait a bit as she wanted to put them up the last week in September. She's already bought pumpkins and she ordered pumpkin spice mix online because she wants to make a pumpkin pie. I keep buying her Halloween sweets and she is delighted, brownie points for me. I think she is cute. Love is truly blind.

I think your missus and I are destined to plan some brilliant Halloween events together. :D:):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The amount of Halloween bedgrudgers in this thread is almost beyond belief. It doesn't address what the OP asked at all either. I bet some of them steal sweets from kids too. :pac:

OP, put them up when you want to! Forget the neighbours!

I loved this period as a kid, and as an adult, what do you know, it hasn't worn off. Now I make sure all my nieces and nephews have a great time. I studied in continental Europe where few celebrate it or have ever seen it in person and I held a big bash at my apartment and everyone loved it. I also lived in North America and it was of course enormous there, no limits. I bought decorations yesterday. This week I'll put them up with the kids and I'm planning a family party at my house for the night itself. I bought a truck-load of pumpkins last year and had a big pumpkin-carving with all the kids, I'll be doing it bigger this year. (I'm typing this and I now see just how many begrudgers are going to quote this and vomit, that being their nature :pac: )

If I hear one more American say Halloween is American, they're going to get a pumpkin thrown at them. ;)

Bottom line OP, is do what you want, as much as you want. Whatever makes you happy.

Please tell why do you think they begrudge Halloween?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Never , guys its head examining time if you're wondering about Halloween decorations !!, ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

(a) Never.
    (b) Whenever. Knock yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Never. Because this isn't America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I love doing a "haunted house" look for Halloween. Will put up decorations about a week before Halloween itself. I leave the pumpkins until the day before otherwise they go mouldy for the big day.
    We got a black cat in the summer so I'm looking forward to incorporating her into our instagrams of the decore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like carving pumpkins because there is a bit of creativity about it. I'm a bit too much of a snob to decorate house in tacky plastic stuff for Halloween or Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

About a week beforehand. I love Halloween. I try to make it a bit more tasteful than the American style but I've no objection to some garish plastic eyeball lights. Off topic but there are some great balls and events in the UK for Halloween. We did a ghost walk tour thing of Highgate cemetery one year. I'd like to do the Loftus Hall lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Halloween decorations.

Now that's scary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

this isn't America.

1710102113530111.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I may develop a heroin habit to comfort myself about the fact that putting up the Halloween decorations in now apparently a thing, and a question of when and not if.

I'll compromise and spray the blood from the syringes on the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What else is good to carve instead of pumpkins? Like, do melons work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

This weekend. I wanted to do it last weekend, but my wife vetoed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

What else is good to carve instead of pumpkins? Like, do melons work?

Irish people traditionally carved turnips. I tried it one year, wouldn't recommend it. The place reeked of farts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Did all tjevhalloween games as a kid. We never did trick or treating though.
    When kids were young we went all out with bonfire trick or treat neighbours kids included and plenty of games.
    Now I can't be bothered. The bangers and fireworks set off for weeks beforehand scaring the bejesus out of our dog is enough to put me off.
    Roll on Christmas I say.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It's a nice bit of fun for the kids to have a few decorations up for a couple of days around Hallowe'en. But putting them up nearly three weeks in advance is ridiculous. Is Hallowe'en going to turn into another festive 'season', the way Christmas has?

It's a nice bit of fun for the kids to have a few decorations up for a couple of days around Hallowe'en. But putting them up nearly three weeks in advance is ridiculous. Is Hallowe'en going to turn into another festive 'season', the way Christmas has?

Holiday season is from start of October to end of April. Halloween, Christmas, New Years, St Patricks Day, Easter. Then we have the championship in the off season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Peatys wrote: »
    Holiday season is from start of October to end of April. Halloween, Christmas, New Years, St Patricks Day, Easter. Then we have the championship in the off season.

"Holiday season" what :cool:

Never heard of it, and what about the summer holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There's an auld lad who lives nearby and strolls past our house a few times a day.

One of the neighbours started putting up Halloween decorations a few years ago, usually about 2 weeks before. Nobody else around bothered.

I met the auld lad on the road one day soon after the decorations went up. He says to me, 'What's up with your one in that house, she must be a bit mad. Its 10 weeks til Christmas'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No children in our house.

Cannot stand all the Halloween shyte.

Off for a meal and a few drinkies until the little kids have gone to bed. Then it's safe to come back.

Don't get me wrong, I gave gazillions of sweets, nuts and coins to the little monsters over the years, but have had enough of it now. Bah Humbug. At least I did it back in the day, but no more.

The fireworks and bangers are a different animal altogether though. The poor doggies and cats, they go bananas. Not mine, but the neighbours.

That's why it is safest to get out of Dodge for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"Holiday season" what :cool:

Never heard of it, and what about the summer holidays?

as i said, thats the off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Cork Girl123

Sure it is just a time when we can act like children again and get away with it. I am not into the running around dressed as a crazy clown and scarring people such that they potentially have a heartattack but what is so bad in celebrating this night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement