Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling on TP

Options
  • 09-10-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Made a new account so my college/school don't recognise me!

I'm teaching maths and physics and on my 2nd TP. I got on very well in my last school and loved TP. I got great feedback from my co-operating teacher and inspector. The students were great and I found I built up a great rapport with them.

I am seriously struggling on this one though. I am finding classroom management a huge issue - no matter what I do all of my classes continue to talk over me and over each other when someone is sharing an answer. I have tried giving extra homework, doing classes without a "fun" activity as punishment. I have not built up any bit of rapport with the classes and I know this is hindering everything but I just don't know how at this point? My co-operating teacher is not much help.

I feel under a lot of pressure as I was aiming on getting an A in TP and can see it slipping away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

tp2017 wrote: »

I'm teaching maths and physics and on my 2nd TP. I got on very well in my last school and loved TP. I got great feedback from my co-operating teacher and inspector. The students were great and I found I built up a great rapport with them.

I am seriously struggling on this one though. I am finding classroom management a huge issue - no matter what I do all of my classes continue to talk over me and over each other when someone is sharing an answer. I have tried giving extra homework, doing classes without a "fun" activity as punishment. I have not built up any bit of rapport with the classes and I know this is hindering everything but I just don't know how at this point? My co-operating teacher is not much help.

I feel under a lot of pressure as I was aiming on getting an A in TP and can see it slipping away.

Have you tried a warning system? If you see someone talking tell them its their 1st warning. 2nd warning could equal a write out for homework and 3rd warning could be a lunch time detention.
    I find lunch time detentions are very successful as students hate them. They act as a good deterrent. The students won't start copping on until you show that you are sticking to this protocol so make sure you actually give out the lunch time detentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tp2017

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Have you tried a warning system? If you see someone talking tell them its their 1st warning. 2nd warning could equal a write out for homework and 3rd warning could be a lunch time detention.
    I find lunch time detentions are very successful as students hate them. They act as a good deterrent. The students won't start copping on until you show that you are sticking to this protocol so make sure you actually give out the lunch time detentions.

There's so many of them talking so I find it difficult to pin point individuals. I haven't tried detentions yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

There's so many of them talking so I find it difficult to pin point individuals. I haven't tried detentions yet though.

It might not be the fairest way but literally pick people you see talking and use them as your examples. Explain this to them as well. When they start doing their lunchtime detentions they rest should cop on. Just make sure you stick to your procedure and carry it through. A phone call home is usually a good shout too.
    It might be worth speaking to other teachers in the school (even other PMEs) about the issue - maybe its a particularly difficult class and ask how they deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Have a frank conversation with them regarding classroom behaviour (what's acceptable and what's not) and respect with only one person speaking at a time etc. with consequences (follow through on these).
    Don't speak over them as they will just get louder.
    Eye contact with main offender(s).
    Do you know their names?
    Have you an effective seating plan?
    Don't say that they will not be doing a "fun" activity if they don't behave (every class doesn't have to have them). Build your rapport with them before doing these things - I rarely do these and I'm an experienced teacher.
    Make sure you know your content as they may not consider you a 'good' teacher if you can't answer every question or deal with the smart alec who will try to catch you out.
    Don't rely on your co-operating teacher - you will have to deal with this yourself at one point - it is a good learning experience and one which you can talk about in interviews.
    You shouldn't give extra homework (especially your own subject) as a punishment - they will grow to hate your subject. A reflection sheet or my favourite - a sheet full of words to write over and over or even lines.

If it doesn't improve - explain the situation to your examiner - don't say things like you're not getting any support from your advising teacher but tell the truth that you havn't handled the behaviour side of things with these students as yet - ask for advice - you're paying enough and the PME is meant to be setting you for your career as a teacher. It is not always a weakness to ask for help. Some experienced teachers can have problems with classes. Also don't compare schools - every school won't be like your last school - you will be travelling between schools when you graduate (even though you have good subjects) before settling in a school so change is good. Management can also be a factor into how students treat teachers - nothing you can do about it.

I hope that gives you enough information. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice!

I am getting to know their names - I know about 60% of their names I'd say. I left them in the seating plans their teacher had. I like the idea of a reflection sheet as opposed to extra homework.

I'd consider myself pretty knowledgeable in my subject area. I wouldn't be worried about coming across as not knowing my stuff, I do think they see me as a teacher they can push over easily though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Whatever you do, do not punish an entire class group for the actions of a few. Quickest way for you to becoming enemy no.1

If possible, figure out the ringleaders of the disruption, focus on them with regards punishment or deterrents, then the rest should fall in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for the advice!

I am getting to know their names - I know about 60% of their names I'd say. I left them in the seating plans their teacher had. I like the idea of a reflection sheet as opposed to extra homework.

I'd consider myself pretty knowledgeable in my subject area. I wouldn't be worried about coming across as not knowing my stuff, I do think they see me as a teacher they can push over easily though.

When I meet a class for the first time - write the names of where the students are sitting and put that into your book etc. so you have with you at all times and can call on a student quickly and the students don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Everybody struggles at some stage. As an experienced teacher I would recommend following the schools discipline procedure, there could be a lot of complaints if you try to give lunchtime detention .
    Use the procedure that is in place, often students will realise that a new teacher isn't using the correct system ( in my school writing a discipline slip to their class tutor ) so they know they can get away with things .

Also some things that may help ;
    -They don't have to like you
    -You don't have to be their friend .
    - it doesn't have to be fun, when you can manage a class well then you can make it fun.
    - As soon as a student talks out of place say ' whats your name, give them a warning , then if they talk again move them to a seat on their own at the back of the class where they can't attract everyone's attention, continue teaching as you pick up their books and put them at the desk they are to sit at.
    - if the whole class is talking stand at the top and stare until you command silence.
    - speak to students with respect and tell them that you expect the same in return
    - give very clear instructions for activities, e.g. First we are going to read the questions, when I finish reading then you will have 5 minutes to discuss the answers.
    - use the support system in the school, class tutor and year heads, tell them the situation and ask for help before things get worse and before your inspector comes.

Don't give up , good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

I used a “punishment sheet” at one stage. Did it out on headed paper, had a section at top with space for student name, reason for punishment, teacher signature and parent signature. It literally was a page of key words from topics covered recently etc and students had to re-write them. Easy to check on being completed, is still relevant as it is literacy related and parents must sign it, made it clear that I had backing from school with the headed paper and next step was a lunchtime detention if they got w second one of these within a time frame say uonto mid term or something like that. It worked as the boldies didn’t like their parents finding out,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mindhackers

Try to get a hold of the book "Cracking the hard class" by Bill Rogers. He has a lot of advice on how to deal with this situation. 
    I also find that it is good to have an opening activity that students do when they enter the classroom, in which students work on individually in silence, it may be a revision activity of the previous lesson or a lead in activity (something they don't need a lot of help with) for the current lesson. Make it clear that they must work on the activity and not talk from the moment they enter. This can help set a precedent for the lesson. Also plan in short silent activities in intervals, students work individually and then open it to class discussion by selecting students individually. This can help the class become more aware of their noise level. With this type of class they can become unaware of their noise level and just understand that it is normal. 
    I hope this helps, best of luck on teaching practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Get em before they even get into the classroom if possible!
    They enter on your terms and you can divide and conquer.

Rob plevin is good.

https://youtu.be/u086rr7SRso

All the most respected teachers I know learn names pretty quick.
    Find out 1 hobby or interest for each student... ask em about it if you wind up walking beside them in the corridor (or stage an encounter!).

If you wait for silence..... they'll keep you waiting.

Group discussions!! I'd structure these very carefully with really easy talks . Start off very short or it'd wind up being a chat class.

Throw in the mention of the JC / LC in every class so they know where their going with all this stuff.

Learn names.... learn names learn names.
    Get a visual seating plan and have it always in view (but out of their view if you can). This unnearves them as they wonder how you know their names all of a sudden. They might think you were discussing it with other teachers.

Thanks so much for all the advice!
    I made an extra effort to learn more names today - it makes things so much easier!

Advertisement