Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifer, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

• 09-10-2017 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

skysports-wales-republic-of-ireland-football-wcq-world-cup_4119344.jpg?20171004152251

It doesn't seem that long ago that we were sitting pretty at the top of the group, hoping that a string of good results would mean we wouldn't find ourselves in the situation of needing to go to Cardiff and get a result.

But it wouldn't be an Irish qualification campaign without us doing things the hard way.

Now we have to go to Cardiff and not just get something but get all three points. Thanks to the Scots only managing a draw in Slovenia, we know that a win will guarantee us at least a play-off spot (possibly automatic qualification if Georgia were to beat Serbia, though that's about as likely as Martin O'Neill greeting Tony O'Donoghue with a warm smile and a big hug).

The good news for Ireland is that Wales' talisman Gareth Bale is missing, but they still boast plenty of threats with the likes of Ramsey, Ledley and Allen, plus a defence that is the meanest in the group.

We will be without Coleman, injured in this game as the players no doubt well remember, and now we are missing Shane Long. But we will have Brady and McClean back involved, and hopefully a very confident Daryl Murphy following his double against Moldova.

Tonight is likely going to be a very painful viewing experience - more so than usual. Wales have conceded just 5 goals in the campaign, while Ireland have conceded 6. And leaving aside the Moldova games, both sides have not scored more than two goals against other opposition. That would seem to suggest we are in for a very close contest, that will likely be decided, if it is at all, by a single goal. Brace yourselves then for a heart-stopping ride.

It will all be worth it though if we can fashion a win. A victory would put a far better gloss on what has been a pretty dismal 2017, with just 2 wins from 8 matches. A loss would mean our wait for another World Cup appearance will go on to be, at the very least, a 20 year wait.

So what do you reckon will be the result? Can we pull off the massive win or will Wales be the Celtic nation celebrating tonight?

I am going to be optimistic and say Ireland will win 2-1 thanks to some set-piece goals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just to sample the atmosphere,

here's a link to a live webcam of Cardiff city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

This is the longest day of my life.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

why? what time did you get up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Come on Ireland!!!

I just heard that alright about Long being injured. I'm a bit disappointed in that actually as he has been having a bad run and I was hoping tonight he would redeem himself with another highly important goal like he done against Germany.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

why? what time did you get up?

I didn't get up at all I've been awake for the past 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I won't get a chance to watch it. Defo a 6 goal thriller on the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ireland to win, 2-0 I'm going for

I didn't get up at all I've been awake for the past 4 weeks.

you work for the HSE ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

66/1 Ireland were last night to go through as group winners, surely worth a euro or two just incase the unthinkable happens.

The heart says 1-0 bagging a trademark early goal and the defence to put in a Richard Dunne in Moscow style defensive performance getting us into the playoffs.

I will say though whoever scores first tonight will win the match, we score first and they'll be forced to attack even more to get the equaliser and be wide open for the counter attack that they'll concede a second goal and vice versa in that if Wales score first I can't see us getting the win.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

0-0

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is it a bit premature to play this?

RIP Bill. We miss ya.

(We can probably ignore the last 90 seconds)

Wow, he was young looking there.

And yes I do know it was along time ago. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Not much talk of him but Ben Davies scares me tonight. He's arguably been the best left back in the premier league so far this year, has a cracking all round game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Not much talk of him but Ben Davies scares me tonight. He's arguably been the best left back in the premier league so far this year, has a racking all round game.

He plays CB for them

pjohnson wrote: »
    He plays CB for them

They vary their tactics, he didn't last game.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    0-0

and Georgia to beat Serbia, now wouldn't that be a nightmare

DLto2m6X4AElJ-C?format=png

pjohnson wrote: »
    DLto2m6X4AElJ-C?format=png

I was just about to post that image as well. I just seen it on bookface.

No wes or O Dowda ffs.

brilou23 wrote: »
    No wes or O Dowda ffs.

OR Maguire. *gasp*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

any word on Wales lads - would anyone see Coleman sticking Woodburn in. I'd say that would cause serious issues for us.

Looks like a traditional back four for Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Stomach is doing Riverdance here. Going to be a long hour.

any word on Wales lads - would anyone see Coleman sticking Woodburn in. I'd say that would cause serious issues for us.

Hennessey, Gunter, Williams, Chester, Davies; Allen, Ledley; Ramsey, King, Lawrence; Robson-Kanu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The midfield battle will be fascinating. We need Arter to produce a performance like he did in that match away to Austria.

Hennessey, Gunter, Williams, Chester, Davies; Allen, Ledley; Ramsey, King, Lawrence; Robson-Kanu

I think they still have a better team than us without Bale. :eek:

They are at home - we don't have any real goal threat.

We are just a team that pulls out massive performances at times - it is all about who turns up tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DLtngWZWsAA_140.jpg

Hendrick and Brady due another big performance - hopefully the a Euros performance for us when we need it. Italy game.

Hendrick is overdue a 30 yard cracker for us.

Tonight please Jeff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Their bench is rubbish compared to ours.

I think they still have a better team than us without Bale. :eek:

They are at home - we don't have any real goal threat.

but the pressure is on them at home, everyone in wales expects them to win

Mokuba wrote: »
    Their bench is rubbish compared to ours.

Is it? You're probably just more familiar with our names. They've a premier league starting striker in Vokes on the bench, we don't even have one on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Is it? You're probably just more familiar with our names. They've a premier league starting striker in Vokes on the bench, we don't even have one on the pitch.

It definitely is.

Vokes doesn't start for Burnley. Chris Wood has started over him since he has arrived.

I'm just back from calling to the local priest. I said 50 hail Mary and 50 our fathers. Got blessed by the priest and soaked in holy water. I have the rosary beads around my hands all day saying hundreds of decades. Hopefully it will be all worth it.

Above may or may not have happened....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This is the longest day of my life.

try waiting up till 2.45am for the kickoff, got the live stream on now, haven't watched Home & Away in years.

Pretty much our strongest available team while still having something to bring on later. Wes to create something or Whelan to steady things if needed most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm actually hoping we dont score an early goal. Weve shown we just stop playing whenever we go ahead.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Mokuba wrote: »
    It definitely is.

Vokes doesn't start for Burnley. Chris Wood has started over him since he has arrived.

I'd trade anyone on our bench for a Woodburn or Ampadu.

try waiting up till 2.45am for the kickoff, got the live stream on now, haven't watched Home & Away in years.

Pretty much our strongest available team while still having something to bring on later. Wes to create something or Whelan to steady things if needed most likely.

What vpn are you using to watch RTE Player? I'm up North and can't get it :rolleyes:

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'm actually hoping we dont score an early goal. Weve shown we just stop playing whenever we go ahead.

It is a catch 22 situation alright as in one way we need a early goal but then yes as our recent history shows we always lay back when we go ahead and Wales would be attacking like crazy if they were a goal behind.

What we need is another Robbie Keane to get the vital goal in the closing stages.

Duff wrote: »
    What vpn are you using to watch RTE Player? I'm up North and can't get it :rolleyes:

Have you no Tv?

I was sure you pick up RTÉ up there.

• Advertisement

Have you no Tv?

I was sure you pick up RTÉ up there.

Up for work so only have the freeview channels in the hotel :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Game time is nearly upon us and I can sense the nerves on the thread. I am hoping for a seven goal thriller. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No S4C on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

No S4C on it?

Just checked Sky and it's on S4C.

Not try the hotel bar?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

pm sent re how im watching it.

Isn't right watching without Dunphy moaning about Wes for the whole build up

There is free VPN's but they are no good. The likes of Tunnel Bear are good but only allow a small amount of data for free which would only roughly cover the first half hour if even. And it is pointless paying their fees if you were only going to just watch the match. It's different if you were to make use of the subscription.

Got it sorted, lads. Cheers.

Did ya just here why wes not starting. Joke

Did ya just here why wes not starting. Joke

That's what he's saying to the media but it's obviously not the actual reason. He'll have known his teams for these games in advance and tonight we need legs in the middle of the park to execute his tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Christ on a bike Richie.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that Wes isn't starting, but I'm sick of the panel beating the subject to death.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement