Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifer, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

delaad wrote: »
    Respect to Richie there now

What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The heart says 1-0 bagging a trademark early goal and the defence to put in a Richard Dunne in Moscow style defensive performance getting us into the playoffs.

Wasn't quite Dunne in Moscow but Duffy was immense tonight at the back.

The first leg of the playoffs are on 9-11 November, and the second legs are 12-14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Highlights of the match that literally just finished? Ah heyor, RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Arghus wrote: »
    Dunphy has now gone at least 10 minutes without mentioning Wes.

In other news hell has frozen over.

SNAP - Knew it couldn't last!

He was devastated up all night writing those notes that he didn't get to use.
    Dunphy will be saving them for after the play offs and hoping... :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Wasn't quite Dunne in Moscow but Duffy was immense tonight at the back.

If his head was where his foot is he'd be Messiesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He comes across dreadfully. For an educated and experienced man, who clearly has an intellect and hinterland that extends beyond football, he always seems tense, defensive and petty.
    He is bored and annoyed with that O'Donoghue fella. O'Donoghue is a pain in the arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Not a huge O'Neill fan but you can't argue with the results. Germany, Italy and now Wales when the odds were stacked against us.

He's no master tactician and he'll never be accused of trying to walk the ball into the net, but he has inspired this squad time and time again into giving big performances and to achieving results that punch above our weight. England in Stuttgart, NI in Belfast, Italy in New York, Germany in Japan, Holland in Dublin. O'Neill's best results are up there with the best in Irish football.

We've every chance now of reaching consecutive tournaments for the first time since Big Jack and the Brit Busters. You can't argue with that.

I would agree with most of this except Italy who were a dis-interested second team.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

He was devastated up all night writing those notes that he didn't get to use.
    Dunphy will be saving them for after the play offs and hoping... :D

I always find it so craven how Dunphy is the harshest and most unyielding critic, but when things go right becomes the most biased and dewyeyed of them all, though tonight I think it was more a case of him being Tullamore Dewy-Eyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Id fancy Sweden to be 50/50. I wont like portugal or italy. Italy just dont miss out on tournaments so they would do enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I would agree with most of this except Italy played a dis-interested second team.

They weren't disinterested. Second team, but not disinterested.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Not a huge O'Neill fan but you can't argue with the results. Germany, Italy and now Wales when the odds were stacked against us.

He's no master tactician and he'll never be accused of trying to walk the ball into the net, but he has inspired this squad time and time again into giving big performances and to achieving results that punch above our weight. England in Stuttgart, NI in Belfast, Italy in New York, Germany in Japan, Holland in Dublin. O'Neill's best results are up there with the best in Irish football.

We've every chance now of reaching consecutive tournaments for the first time since Big Jack and the Brit Busters. You can't argue with that.

You can't but there's a few characters on here that will try. They will lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You can't but there's a few characters on here that will try. They will lose.

You gonna beat them down?

He is bored and annoyed with that O'Donoghue fella. O'Donoghue is a pain in the arse

I think there's always friction there because the two of them are so passive agressive.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Id fancy Sweden to be 50/50. I wont like portugal or italy. Italy just dont miss out on tournaments so they would do enough.
    Portugal in particular would be the one to avoid. Italy? we could rattle them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Rezident wrote: »
    Totally agree. I've lost a lot of respect for Tony o'Donohoe this campaign. I think some journalists think they have to be critical to score points. But him criticising MON about managing a football team is like a subbutteo player criticising Messi's football skills.

Embarrassing to watch some of them on Rte. Sad that they're not even big enough to admit when they are proven wrong. Yet again. How small.

It's disgraceful. Hopefully Keano loses it with him at some point. He's long overdue a telling off. I'd much rather they let Joanne Cantwell or any of the sports news presenters fill his place.

• Advertisement

No i dont see it, they are Italy they will do enough with their wonderful hair and charisma.

tigger123 wrote: »
    You gonna beat them down?
    Eh? They beat themselves with their boring negative drivel. MON keeps getting the team to deliver on the big occasions making them more and more irrelevant each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Why did Wales need to finish with 20 PTS and we got through with 19 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

glasso wrote: »
    All about the FIFA tv money - more for them from the bigger nations.

we moan about that - but at the end of the day - the best teams should be in world cup

It is the world cup.

teams like Northern Ireland - Ireland and Wales are ****e to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Interesting that Joe Allen's "Cork/Derry sandwich" happened in the exact same position where he got booked slightly earlier.

Randolph's superb save minutes before McClean's strike was so crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thank you Slovenia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

niallo27 wrote: »
    No i dont see it, they are Italy they will do enough with their wonderful hair and charisma.

I think we could take them. Their coach doesn't know his head from his arse and he has left the best Italian midfielder at home so now hes going to f off and play with brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

deadybai wrote: »

Wales had to win to get to play offs. They had 17 points so could either finish on 17,18 or 20. They lost so finished on 17 and Ireland came second in the group on 19 with the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If they drew they'd only have 18 which wasn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

As they needed to win. A draw would have left them on 18 and it would not have been enough.

It was impossible for them to finish on 19 only 18 or 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They could have gone through with 19! But they were on 17 so only options were 1 point, 3 points or....................................

7222d43536e5347de052fd41fe878a7d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Because 18 points (what a draw would’ve gotten them) wouldn’t have been good enough.. goal diff

If Portugal win tomorrow night they won't be in the play offs. Hopefully they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Games V Moldova did not count

• Advertisement

If Portugal win tomorrow night they won't be in the play offs. Hopefully they do.

Holy **** is this really true?

Can somebody tell Chris Coleman that we're not a home nation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Not one, but two big away wins in the campaign. Pretty remarkable considering Ireland's thirty year duck in getting those type of results. Not to excuse the poor results at home to Serbia and away to Georgia, but still.

I mean Portugal won't be in the play offs if they win. We are in the play offs.

Yes, they will overtake Switzerland in their group so Switzerland will drop into the play offs

They would go through automatically whilst Switzerland would go to the play offs with 9 wins out of 10. Crazy. Easy group though.

I mean Portugal won't be in the play offs if they win. We are in the play offs.

Ah right now I get you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hope we get Croatia. The rest are very strong and the Swiss always seem to have our measure.

briany wrote: »
    Not one, but two big away wins in the campaign. Pretty remarkable considering Ireland's thirty year duck in getting those type of results. Not to excuse the poor results at home to Serbia and away to Georgia, but still.

and given Wales their 1st lost on home soil in qualifiers in 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I hope we get Croatia. The rest are very strong and the Swiss always seem to have our measure.

You think Croatia aren’t strong?

I’d rather play Italy over them

Sweden of Denmark for me but not sure if that's possible with the seeding.

Could we get Norn Iron?

Nooooooooo Croatia would be an absolute nightmare to play against. Kovacic, Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Perisic? We would be chasing them around the field all day and also they wouldnt go in for a phyical battle. I think the Italians would and lose their minds a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yep. They are ejected from the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sweden of Denmark for me but not sure if that's possible with the seeding.

Could we get Norn Iron?

seeds will be Italy, Sweden, Croatia, Portugal/Switzerland,

Take your pick

• Advertisement

signostic wrote: »
    seeds will be Italy, Sweden, Croatia, Portugal/Switzerland,

Take your pick

Has to be Sweden then.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Has to be Sweden then.

Sweden +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If what people are saying is true and it'll be Portugal/Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Sweden then, from worst case to best, I'd go

Portugal
    Italy
    Croatia
    Switzerland
    Sweden

If Denmark creep in then I'd prefer them to all but Sweden

Yep Sweden or Switzerland would be our best chance probably.

DLuX3JRX4AE6ChX.jpg

When Jeff Hendrick empties his pockets tonight!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement