Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifer, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can't really give a lot of credit to the gameplan against Wales.
    Kicking the ball upfield for the last 20 minutes did nothing but give away possession and again put the defence under pressure as we had absolutely no out-ball once Murphy went off.
    The difference in the teams was the desire and will-to-win of the players who gave their all 100% and just refused to give in or concede a goal, who threw their bodies in front of every shot and spent every last ounce of energy for the TEAM.
    Wales had probably better individual players but we had TEAM spirit, heart and desire in abundance. That was the difference for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Forgive me for the lack of names. But I was watching over the goal again and I have to say the Wales goalkeeper was at major fault for this goal what was he doing throwing the ball just outside his box while a Irish player was there. Then if you watch the Wales left back he just stands still for a few seconds and watches the Irish player run down the line and then he suddenly wakes up and runs at him which was a little too late as the Irish player had gone too far away from him and if he ran at him straight away he would have kicked the ball out for a throw in.

But I have to give credit to Ireland where it is due.(again sorry for lack of names) The Irish player who attacked hard along the line and kept attacking and then managed to get the cross across was magnificent and then the dummy and what can say James McClean' strike was brilliant really hard to do he kicked it first time no hesitation. It could have easily gone wide or over the bar and there was a few in the box as well which could have easily prevented the ball going into the back of the net if it hit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Patww79 wrote: »

Eh, I'm no fan of the Northern Irish fan base, but the bottom line here is that our manager and game winner don't call it "LondonDerry" and, as such, I thought Dunphy's 'joke' or whatever was quite unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rgace wrote: »
    Dunphy is the type of spoofer who would burst into tears on the Late Late Show talking about 1916 if some politician he didn't like had made the same comment.

I really don't know why you participate in these threads.

Spot on. Dunphy isn't actually any use at what is typically the primary function of his job - analysing the game and teams in question - and so instead he just plays the 'shock jock' and looks for a reaction. That's basically why I stopped watching RTE years ago or just switch channel outside of the the actual game itself.

By the way not sure if it's been mentioned, but George Hamilton's commentary from about the 85th minute on deserves him a bit of a boot up the hole - nothing offensive or whatnot, but I have -never- seen a commentator spend a solid 8-10 minutes doing everything they could do invoke the 'commentators curse'. There were literally times when they had the ball near the edge of our box and George is harping on about "all done now, it's over, game is finished, Wales are out, nothing to play for here, this is some achievement by win from Ireland" type of stuff relentlessly throughout. Maybe my frayed nerves at the time picked up on it wrong but I was genuinely getting angry at him by the end of it! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Serial baiting in the soccer forum yet again being allowed by the same few. Too much hard work to stamp out I suppose yet when you see some of the yellow cards people here get for ridiculous nothing offenses is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Billy86 wrote: »
    By the way not sure if it's been mentioned, but George Hamilton's commentary from about the 85th minute on deserves him a bit of a boot up the hole - nothing offensive or whatnot, but I have -never- seen a commentator spend a solid 8-10 minutes doing everything they could do invoke the 'commentators curse'. There were literally times when they had the ball near the edge of our box and George is harping on about "all done now, it's over, game is finished, Wales are out, nothing to play for here, this is some achievement by win from Ireland" type of stuff relentlessly throughout. Maybe my frayed nerves at the time picked up on it wrong but I was genuinely getting angry at him by the end of it! :o

Tbf to him he wasnt talking about the game itself at those points but rather the 2nd place table as a whole. He was saying that it was all over for Wales whethere they scored or not due to croatia winning.

But ya was still adding a bit of stfu Hamilton to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No I think he was aiming his 'joke' at McClean, Duffy and O'Neill and talking about how we should be thankful for the "LondonDerry" influence or something to that effect. Dunphy was trying to be funny but just made himself look like an eejit. He's becoming increasingly out of touch in that job.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-derry-londonderry-mcclean-139099

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Dunphy is a massive fan of McClean and Duffy, although it's evident what he thinks of O'Neill. It was just a stupid attempt at a "joke" by reference to a talking point, I doubt it was in anyway intended as a jibe at them but obviously he was referring to the division up North with fans, some who swear allegiance to Republic.

His job is guaranteed because of his wife's position but he adds nothing on a footballing punditry sense really, not that he is ignorant of the game, just that he doesn't seem overly interested in attempting to research anything, merely turn up and offer some soundbytes.

At least, even as annoying as he can be, Kenny Cunningham does his research and gives constructive analysis. Richie Sadlier is a breath of fresh air, best pundit in RTE in my opinion and even Brady puts a bit of effort in although he is happy just to turn up like Dunphy also,

Duff is just Duff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Doesn't really bother me but can see how someone from Derry would be a bit miffed.

I'm from Derry and not the least bit annoyed.
    It was Dunphy, he likes the attention.

Lets not stop being Irish and having a laugh at ourselves. I don't want to turn into one of those people who are offended at everything said. I'm above that.

Ireland is lucky to have the 3 Derry men involved in the team, and they know it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What was the joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Robbie Brady off the hook and rightly so.
    Good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good news.

Lucky boy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Good news.
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Lucky boy.

I just watched it there. Got a laugh anyway. But there was nothing in it the Wales player didn't even notice it.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No I think he was aiming his 'joke' at McClean, Duffy and O'Neill and talking about how we should be thankful for the "LondonDerry" influence or something to that effect. Dunphy was trying to be funny but just made himself look like an eejit. He's becoming increasingly out of touch in that job.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-derry-londonderry-mcclean-139099

Jesus.

That's one overwrought piece of writing. That has to be one of the worst football articles I've ever read. Someone has to tell the writer not every sentence needs adjectives, metaphors and similes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Im torn between thinking it was a daft comment, and thinking it was kind of funny on the basis of the type of uptight people it would have offended.

Irrespective, it was clearly a joke and should be taken as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

exaggerate why don't ya :rolleyes:

Martin O'Neil was captain of the northern ireland team during world cup 82, no back of the bus treatment there (although you can sit anywhere you like on a team bus)

if there's anyone with a chip on their shoulders .... its you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Jesus.

That's one overwrought piece of writing. That has to be one of the worst football articles I've ever read. Someone has to tell the writer not every sentence needs adjectives, metaphors and similes.

That's precisely why I avoid Joe.ie like the plague.

• Advertisement

Jesus.

Shoot the messenger why don't ya. The article actually makes a good point about a certain kind of idiotic partitionist mindset that does exist (and you'd see around here at times) manifested by the girl in the clip that the article refers to who asked Martin McGuiness some very stupid questions when he ran for the Presidency.

I actually like Dunphy as a pundit, or I used to, he's become a bit stale and out of touch in recent years. But that was a stupid infantile "joke" if that's what you want to call it. It's no big deal and I don't think anyone will bother to get offended, it's just a a bit embarrassing from Dunphy and he should wary of that partitionist mindset that exists with the hard of thinking here in the Irish Republic. Now that's something to take the piss out of.

fryup wrote: »
    exaggerate why don't ya :rolleyes:

Martin O'Neil was captain of the northern ireland team during world cup 82, no back of the bus treatment there (although you can sit anywhere you like on a team bus)

if there's anyone with a chip on their shoulders .... its you
    Players like O'Neill, Pat Jennings, Neil Lennon and others would probably play for the Republic if they were playing these days. Back then for fear of upsetting the crowd in The North the FAI didn't chase after those players who may have felt more of an affinity with the Republic of Ireland team. The GFA has made it easier and more accessible for those who identify with the Republic to take out an Irish passport. We should really have one team though.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Shoot the messenger why don't ya. The article actually makes a good point about a certain kind of idiotic partitionist mindset that does exist (and you'd see around here at times) manifested by the girl in the clip that the article refers to who asked Martin McGuiness some very stupid questions when he ran for the Presidency.

I actually like Dunphy as a pundit, or I used to, he's become a bit stale and out of touch in recent years. But that was a stupid infantile "joke" if that's what you want to call it. It's no big deal and I don't think anyone will bother to get offended, it's just a a bit embarrassing from Dunphy and he should wary of that partitionist mindset that exists with the hard of thinking here in the Irish Republic. Now that's something to take the piss out of.

BTW, that bit in bold I think explains some of the antipathy towards MON that you'd see around here at times, it would be dressed up as "I don't like his style" stuff but with some and I emphasise some it may have an idiotic partitionist type mindset behind it.

This idiotic mindset would also extend to James McClean. There was a poster on this match thread while the game was actually on that was talking shíte about McClean and he remarkably continued it even after he scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Think we're done here, any other chat can go into the ROI team thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement