Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifer, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Big Jack in his mid 80's would be more tactically aware that MoN right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

We've succeeded in boring the home fans into submission.

And the away fans too. Could hear a pin drop at the end there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

irishman86 wrote: »
    Ive given my argument, hes all huff and puff with very little output
    Hes has very little ability outside of the huff and puff so i will continue to mock people about him

Aside from the goals.... and the chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saving Big Wes for the second half might prove to be genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'll try decipher what you're trying to say and get back to you if I can figure it out.

I'll help you with your difficulty so. He didn't 4th to injure anyone. He pulled on a ball that was there. At the last second he realised Meyler was beating him to it and pulled back a bit.

So, to summarise, that's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Why does the rte video before going to an ad break say 'European Qualifiers'???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

For anyone who doesnt have rte two or skysports the game is on s4c welsh commentary.srry if its been said already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

tumblr_lu20ollhdw1r4gezxo1_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** game
    2 **** teams
    Hope we score in the 2nd Half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You'd swear a draw would do us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So will MON make changes for the 2nd half or will he sit back till the 85th minute..

My guess would be the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Vicxas wrote: »
    RTE Player is absolute muck.

Let me guess. Its crashed 4 times already and forced you to watch 90 seconds of ads every time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

murpho999 wrote: »
    This Welsh team is there for the taking if we just had the composure to go and win it.

They really are proper sh!t. We are playing badly and they've done nothing to take advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Finishing the half the better side, Wales are rocky as fcuk at the back, Coleman has a much harder talk than O'Neill now, what are ye all moaning about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ive given my argument, hes all huff and puff with very little output
    Hes has very little ability outside of the huff and puff so i will continue to mock people about him

We get it. We get it from you every time he plays. You drag out the same lines about him and your condescension to anyone who disagree.

It’s fūcking boring at this stage.

• Advertisement

Yep, and has been since its inception. And the cvnts do nothing to improve it

It's 2017 and they still don't have Google cast support. Joke of an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

What a terrible game...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Welsh team are there for the taking. Rode a ropey early 15-20 mins and have come into the game a bit more since then. Arter/Hendrick have been looking for the ball more from the back four. Back four unwilling to give it at times, especially Christie.

There's reasons to be positive here. We really need to test Hennessey though. He always has a ropey moment in him.

Serbia 0-0 Georgia at half time too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hopefully someone will tell O'Neill at the break that we actually need to win this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

enda1 wrote: »
    Any UEFA team which reaches the WC well deserves their place. That's for damn sure.

Agreed. I believe neither of these sides will be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

hes all huff and puff with very little output

This is could describe virtually every single Irish player out there tonight. Did McClean shag your missus/girlfriend, or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nerves will kick in pretty quickly in the second half, so the quality will fall further but an error in the right/wrong place could be what decides this.

Or a sub who can carry the ball into the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The WC will be all the better if we're not there, let's be honest. From an actual football perspective at least.

Sadly that's true, we had a good side back in 2010 and that team would have at least put in some performances at the world cup finals, this current side is one of the worst Irish teams I can remember watching, we don't even have any excuses to fall back on anymore, we're a poor side and we were flying by the seat of our pants when we were topping this group. We should have been qualified by now but contrived to end up where we are now.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Plan is actually working, defensively we've nullified them and despite their possession we've arguably have had the better chances.

Game is setup for wes to come on for the last 30 minutes and make an impact.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oat23 wrote: »
    Why does the rte video before going to an ad break say 'European Qualifiers'???

It a FIFA thing this is the European Qualifiers for the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Wes to come on around the hour mark if it remains 0-0. I think he could provide that little bit of quality to make the difference. Wales are poor and there for the taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Absolutely shocking Duffy and crystie hoof the ball seems to be the only option absolutely clueless and toothless upfront , it’s going to be a long second half , but saying that 0-0 there’s always a chance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

nullzero wrote: »
    Neither side deserve to get to a world cup finals, we've had good sides in the past who have deserved to get the world cup finals and have just fallen short, this time we're getting what we deserve and Wales would most likely stink up the world cup as much as Ireland were they to get there.
    Wales have Bale though, and can be a much better side when things click. We can too, but we don't perform like it that often.

It a FIFA thing this is the European Qualifiers for the World Cup.

Ah that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

irishgeo wrote: »
    You'd swear a draw would do us.

I think MON is planning to snatch this in the 2nd half all along.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So will MON make changes for the 2nd half or will he sit back till the 85th minute..

What does he care? He's already been through the gauntlet of the master tactician that is John Delaney and got his contract extension.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

As it stands, at half time, there's less scoring going on around Europe than a convention for Commodore 64 enthusiasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Safe to say Wes would have made zero impact on that. Bring him on after 65 with Maguire and McGeady :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That didn't look great but tbh MONs tactics are probably going to plan. Defensively we've been solid and Wales have not any real actual chances and the more the game has gone on the more we have come into the game and the Welsh crowd has started to get frustrated. I would imagine if things stay the same MON will introduce Wes around the 65m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mzungu wrote: »
    Wales have Bale though, and can be a much better side when things click. We can too, but we don't perform like it that often.

How many world class players do iceland have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

nullzero wrote: »
    What does he care? He's already been through the gauntlet of the master tactician that is John Delaney and got his contract extension.

Valid point alright but the problem is the same as how we ended up with him in the first place.. Who else could we realistically get that would be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

briany wrote: »
    As it stands, at half time, there's less scoring going on around Europe than a convention for Commodore 64 enthusiasts.

Hey!!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Serbia 0-0 Georgia , could it happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

Watching RTE on mobdro, much better than tuning in via the player. Plus can chromecast.

Two below average teams on display. I pity fans of others teams who aren't going to the world cup and are watching this game. They must be wondering how the heck one of this teams get to the play offs.

But it's what we have, we don't have the flair players to spice up our game nor do we have a world class finisher up front. As much as I dislike MON's tactics there's not much we can do with our pool of players.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

mzungu wrote: »

True, but he's horribly injury prone, we don't have enough quality in the side to perform consistently. We look beaten before kick off in big games, no belief.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Pleasantly surprised by how poor Wales look and Allen going off was a big blow for them too.

But despite all that Wales have dominated possession and no clear cut chances arose so big questions as to how Ireland get the all important first goal. Maybe Wes off the bench might produce something but he probably wont come on til 20 mins from time....

Wales are there to be beaten though. If Ireland could just show a bit more composure when attacking and a bit more creativity rather than just constantly giving the ball away like a hot potato every time in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Plan is actually working, defensively we've nullified them and despite their possession we've arguably have had the better chances.

Game is setup for wes to come on for the last 30 minutes and make an impact.

Like you can hate MON - but his plan is working so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

To be honest, I'm happy enough with 0-0 at half time. I think trying to keep it tight and changing it up during the second half is a fair enough strategy. Wales are not great, but they have enough quality to get through us if we give them space. We weathered the initial storm and looked nervous during the first twenty minutes, but I think they looked slightly disjointed by the half's end and argubly we were slightly on top.

Still hard to see where we are going to get a goal, but as the game goes on we'll have to go forward. I think this game can be won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

MON or LVG in disguise, me luv cookies about as much as they luv Hoof ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jim Beglin saying "Muffy" the highlight of that half :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Safe to say Wes would have made zero impact on that. Bring him on after 65 with Maguire and HOGAN :D

FYP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

70th minute....if we go a goal down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

O Neill must be under some serious pressure here knowing this could be his last game

Oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Hard to believe though, one goal and we could be going as group winners.....Georgia have more possesion in their game and more shots at goal so their trying anyhow

°°°°°

Valid point alright but the problem is the same as how we ended up with him in the first place.. Who else could we realistically get that would be better?

His tactics are lamentable but ultimately I don't believe he can get much more out of this side, there isn't enough quality sadly. It would be nice to see us go down punching, currently we're seemingly content to accept our lot.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement