Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange call-scam?

Options
  • 09-10-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

+381 60 7915003

Received a phone from number, the mobile rang and then answered itself.

I have blocked number from calls and texts.

Is this some sort of scam?

Reverse lookup shows me this

Mobile phone number in Serbia: +381 - 60 - 7915003
    Phone carrier: Vip Mobile
    Country code: 381
    Area Code 60: Mobile Phone
    Capital of Serbia: Belgrade (Beograd)
    Local Time: 10/09/2017 07:56:32 PM
    Time Zone: Central European Time (CET)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Lol missed a call from almost the same number 20 minutes ago! Only the last four digits different.
    +81 60 7915015

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most of these callers want you to ring back, and you'll be ringing a premium number that charges you an extortionate fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

The OH's phone rang at 18.57 from the number

+381 60 791505

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

381 60 7915004 called me on the Luas home from work just after 6pm this evening. Didn't answer as it looked dodge. I'm on 48 mobile so it's not just an eir thing presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

the_syco wrote: »
    Most of these callers want you to ring back, and you'll be ringing a premium number that charges you an extortionate fee.

Me poor auld mammy does hardly get a call back so some Serbian cnut will be waiting a long time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

+381 60 7915003 rang me at around half 5 this evening, I answered and heard an automated message asking me to hold so that I could be put through to their companies finance department (or something along those lines), the message then said not to hang up as it was an important call, then they hung up. I think it's like one of the above responses said and it's just a scam to get you to phone them back.

I'm with Tesco Mobile so definitely not an Eir issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

MissMayo wrote: »
    +381 60 7915003 rang me at around half 5 this evening, I answered and heard an automated message asking me to hold so that I could be put through to their companies finance department (or something along those lines), the message then said not to hang up as it was an important call, then they hung up. I think it's like one of the above responses said and it's just a scam to get you to phone them back.

Hi All, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. 

This would seem to be a scam call. I would advise to not answer as you would possibly be charged a premium rate. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Hi All, 

This would seem to be a scam call. I would advise to not answer as you would possibly be charged a premium rate. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Are you charged anything for incoming original call? Or only when you call back?

Hi All, 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Are you charged anything for incoming original call? Or only when you call back?
    You should only be charged if you answer the call or call the number back. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 15,082 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hi Tracey,
    Why does Eir take money from it's customer's and pass it on to the scammers?
    Regards E

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Hi Tracey,
    Regards E
    Hi elperello, 

I'm not aware of this issue happening. 

Can you confirm the exact issue you are having with us? 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi Tracey,
    Regards E
    Hi elperello, 

I'm not aware of this issue happening. 

Can you confirm the exact issue you are having with us? 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey,
    The only way that scammers can get the customers money is if Eir gives it to them.
    Why do Eir persist in this practice?
    Why don't Eir refuse to hand over money to the scammers?
    Regards E

The only way that scammers can get the customers money is if Eir gives it to them.
    Regards E
    The only way they get your money is if you ring them back. Eir cannot stop people from ringing whom they choose.

Regards E
    The only way they get your money is if you ring them back. Eir cannot stop people from ringing whom they choose.
    Hi the,
    The point is that they are scammers deliberately stealing money.
    They can only get it if the phone company either deducts it from customers credit or adds it to the customers bill.
    Eir knows they are scammers so why do they play along with it?
    Regards E

Hi the,
    They can only get it if the phone company either deducts it from customers credit or adds it to the customers bill.
    Regards E
    There are many MANY premium rate numbers out there.

Should Eir stop people from ringing the 15xx range, as well as 1890, 1850 and 0818? They're premium rate numbers. If Eir stopped you from ringing those numbers, and all foreign premium numbers, there'd be uproar over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

MissMayo wrote: »

had same call today im on virgin

Regards E
    Hi the,
    Regards E
    I'm afraid we would be unable to stop these scam calls from happening, we have no control over them contacting you. Unfortunately, I would be unable to assist you any further. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi the,
    Regards E
    There are many MANY premium rate numbers out there.

Should Eir stop people from ringing the 15xx range, as well as 1890, 1850 and 0818? They're premium rate numbers. If Eir stopped you from ringing those numbers, and all foreign premium numbers, there'd be uproar over it!
    You are right there are a lot of premium numbers out there and most of them are used by legitimate companies. 
    What we are talking about here are theives who are abusing the premium number system to steal money from consumers.
    Eir knows who they are yet they facilitate them by taking money from their accounts and sending it to the scammers.
    Why don't Eir and all the other companies take a stand and refuse?

As you will see above Tracey can't answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Got a missed call at 12:55 from 0037253130831 to day and I'm on virgin media

Advertisement