Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are there no rock stars anymore?

• 09-10-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Who is to bame? Liberterrorism? Feminism? The establishment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

None of the above. There are just no true rock stars about at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Liam Gallagher explains all in 30ish seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There is no sub culture, so there cannot be rock stars etc. I blame smart phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Political correctness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Being a rock star is expensive. Everybody wants music to be free.

Add a dollop of tv talent show to taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The blame is...

Mobile phones.

Rockstars can't behave like rockstars with cameras in every pocket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why are there no rock stars anymore?

Because mostly they're all dead, bar a few like Macca, Mick n'Keith, Roger n'Pete + Ozzy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Noveight wrote: »

That’s a great video. He answers the OP’s question, makes what looks like a lovely cup of tea, and has a good rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Political correctness

Exactly why James hetfield of Metallica moved to out of San Francisco. He hates liberals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Liam Gallagher pretty much explained the lack of hedonistic rock stars these days. No money in the industry like the old days. But the bigger thing is rock is no longer counter culture, it's old news, Dad music. Plus, the masses now seem to like their stadium fillers to be pasty, unassuming ginger student types.

It's all very strange and makes me feel twice as old as I am!
    Patww79 wrote: »

Oh yeah, good point. Rock stars are controversial, don't tow the party line and are possibly dangerous to sales figures .. (See the aforementioned Liam Gallagher / Oasis and their attempt to break America in the '90s.) Wouldn't be tolerated these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The allure of interesting characters is no longer present. People now have instant access to their favourite music and celebrities. There is no intrigue or wonder because you know everything about them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

They are either dead or the rock and roll lifestyle has taking too much of a toll on them

EPAndlee wrote: »
    They are either dead or the rock and roll lifestyle has taking too much of a toll on them

Lemmy was a true rock star until the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Simon Cowell's fault.
    And Louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Exactly why James hetfield of Metallica moved to out of San Francisco. He hates liberals.

Where will himself and the boys go for their manly group therapy sessions?

Bunch of pansies.

P. S. Spot on about Lemmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Lemmy was a true rock star until the end.

We have lost so many greats of rock! Rock isn't what it used to be as much as I love Nirvana, Guns and Roses,Motorhead etc I do like a lot of the new bands and some are pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The lads should be touring again soon anyway.

BasicEdibleKoalabear-max-1mb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What's a rock star? Junkie, some one who sleeps with women of questionable age

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Probably because the generation after them have all went into the Indie and alternative rock scene since and it's been watered down by these sub genres. That's what I think anyway. Extreme, Slit your wrist death metal wasn't going to fill that void either.

Kings Of Leon
    The Killers
    The Kooks
    The Strokes
    Arctic Monkeys
    Two Door Cinema club

......... not a character or band member of note with any charisma to name there. Can you imagine another Keith Moon blowing up toilets on their tour bus ?

I don't think rock really recovered after the the grunge scene ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I like an American rock band called Goodbye June. The lead singer has real presence

Johnny rotton was a rock star and told it how it was and was banned for calling saville a dirty paedo back in the 80's. To be fair to him, he's still Johnny rotton today. Not like all the reformed characters around today.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is everyone forgetting about the Foo Fighters and Queens Of the Stone Age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Hip Hop has taken over from rock as the soundtrack to most young people these days. As such it's were the artists make the most money and where you'll find some of the displays of hedonism that you'd typically define as "rockstar" behaviour.

Most rock bands are meeting in university or whatever rather than just 4 guys in a garage with a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The lads should be touring again soon anyway.

BasicEdibleKoalabear-max-1mb.gif

Well some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That would mean that being a rockstar means having 4 people to make you tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

It's really hard to throw a TV out a hotel room window now, a 58" flat screen caught on a strong wind could travel a good mile and a half.

• Advertisement

Probably the changing attitudes towards statutory rape and sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Bono is still around................your right there all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

What an imbecilic fcukwit that man is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

answer: The film "Spinal Tap"

It made the musical artistes more self-aware.
    the T.V. show Silicon Valley and the like will do the same for IT entrepreneurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

:pac: The Foo Fighters :pac:

Liam Gallagher is nothing but a moron.

Iggy is still going, Nick Cave has still got it going on.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Johnny rotton was a rock star and told it how it was and was banned for calling saville a dirty paedo back in the 80's. To be fair to him, he's still Johnny rotton today. Not like all the reformed characters around today.

Would that be the same jonny rotten that's the 'country life' Butter advertiser? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

With any luck, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Let's face it, all that rock star ****e was just arsehole behaviour.

It's like your dad telling stories about all the old local characters and how you don't have their type around any more, and you start to realise that those "characters" were in reality just a bunch of smelly, seedy old drunks wasting their lives in pubs.

Same with those old crock stars. I mean, who wants to be some druggy twat wrecking hotel rooms? That's something to aspire to? Nah, you can keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

With any luck, yes.

The Foo Fighters are as rock as Bon Jovi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I reckon the closest we get to a rock star these days is Russel brand, shame he's not in a band.

Let's face it, all that rock star ****e was just arsehole behaviour.

It's like your dad telling stories about all the old local characters and how you don't have their type around any more, and you start to realise that those "characters" were in reality just a bunch of smelly, seedy old drunks wasting their lives in pubs.

Same with those old crock stars. I mean, who wants to be some druggy twat wrecking hotel rooms? That's something to aspire to? Nah, you can keep it.

I agree, sure Metallica are sober......but the machine is worth a billion dollars. Good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Shows like X-Factor are killing off young talent. An example being X-Factor having a monopoly with Christmas number 1 singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Rock got old. The world moved on. Long hair, drug & child abuse, the odd catchy riff and leather pants just don't cut it anymore.

It's all BEEP BEEEEP this and BWAW BWAAAAWW that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Josh Homme is still around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

'Rock stars' stopped seeming rebellious around the time gangsta rap became popular in the early nineties. Driving a limousine into a swimming pool can't really compete with popping a cap in a niggas ass. And then there was the likes of Kurt Cobain ridiculing Guns N' Roses and Metallica.

And a big part of the 'rock and roll lifestyle' was having sex with underage groupies. Jimmy Page had a fourteen year old girlfriend who supposedly slept with David Bowie too when she was thirteen. I think Gary Glitter finally killed off the idea that that kind of thing was acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Rock on Billy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The whole rock star bullshit pretty much killed itself in a cloud of cocaine and crap music. I like my rock music to be less about ego and more about music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Organ failure is why there are no interesting rock stars around these days but i think pu$$ification is why the rock n roll lifestyle isn't being lived by the bands out there. Too into clean living etc.

I imagine twitter would crash if some musician bit the head off a bat nowadays.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Soft, sanitised rock.

Some good hits among a sea of bland muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

You can thank Foo Fighters for making mainstream rock boring. But thankfully rock music has always been better away from the mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
Advertisement