Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are there no rock stars anymore?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Matt Bellamy of Muse is one of the last ones remaining. He shreds on guitar, all his songs are about the post apocalypse, he believes in all sorts of crazy conspiracies and no one really knows much about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Changing tastes and consequently there's no money to be made in that genre anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

None of the above. There are just no true rock stars about at the moment.

Because rock isn't popular like it was before I guess. Probably are rock stars out there, they're just not famous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its simple really.

It all depends on mystic and a belief that the lifestyle is 'better' than that available to mere mortals more money more drugs more sex, now the availability of sex and drugs is commonplace.

Healthy lifestyles are the thing today, groupies and trophy wives have acquired the aura of being a bit sleazy.

Mostly though..." Through a chink too wide there comes in no wonder".

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It used to take years of gigging, making music and establishing yourself as a band and frontman to become a rockstar.
    Now we have fast food bands making fast food music for the present and not for longevity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Exactly why James hetfield of Metallica moved to out of San Francisco. He hates liberals.

I think he said liberals hate him

Probably his 4X4s with gun racks and penchant for cowboy boots that did it

There was plenty of rock stars who made **** all money but still rock starred merrily away

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its simple really.

It all depends on mystic and a belief that the lifestyle is 'better' than that available to mere mortals more money more drugs more sex, now the availability of sex and drugs is commonplace.

Healthy lifestyles are the thing today, groupies and trophy wives have acquired the aura of being a bit sleazy.

Mostly though..." Through a chink too wide there comes in no wonder".

This is the best answer I think. Back in the 70s and 80s, rock stars lived a life people could only wonder about and look at in awe. A bit like nobles back hundreds of years ago. Nowadays the basic standard of living and level of comfort is so high that wealth and hedonism does not deliver the same sense of awe or have the same psychological impact on people. People in coucil estates drive BMW's and snort cocaine at the weekend these days.

Also, in this age, every concept has been broken down and ridiculed (think of the humour of Family Guy) and nothing has any mystique because information is too readily available and our senses are blunted from overstimulation. Where even in the 90s peoples heads would turn if they saw a famous person, now they're like "who cares - they're just some guy/girl like you or me". Nowadays if some famous music person or actor gave off an air of thinkign they were better than others they are instantly derided on the internet so there is more pressure on famous people to be "PR friendly" so as many people like them as possible - this also means they are more fake than back in the day.

Nowadays there is a less steep gradient between "famous" and "not famous" due to the existence of social media. Someone like Craig Doyle, had he been famous in the 90s and to pick a totally random example, would have been seen as infinitely more famous than some random schmuk, siince he was on TV, whereas nowadays he'd only be marginally more "given a **** about" than someone on instgram/snapchat with a few thousand followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

It depends how you define a rock star.

For me a proper rockstar is basically a narcissistic arsehole with a decadent lifestyle who constantly generates controversy and offends people. Despite being a hip hop artist rather than a rock artist, I think Kanye fits the bill pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Like acting, comedy and the rest of the arts, music is becoming the preserve of the rich kids. Those whose parents can afford to indulge them and pay for their lifestyles and they chase their goals.

The likes of Oasis, the Stone Roses and Primal Scream have been replaced by the private school kids like James Blunt, Lilly Allen, and Mumford & Sons.

The Arctic Monkeys were the last real working class band to breakthrough and that was nearly a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Josh Homme is still around :)
    But he's a buttoned down husband and dad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I laugh when someone said the only rock stars still around are the likes of Mick and Keith.
    They are now ultra establishment and their rebellious days are long since gone.
    Was the definition of a rock star someone who shagged groupies, wrecked hotels, was as high as a kite on coke and was part of a great band or was a great solo act ?
    Very few ever actually achieved that.

One thing that has happened that has lessened the creation of huge stars be they music, TV or film is the accessibility that people now have to them.
    The mystic is gone to a huge degree.
    It is now also all about celebrity rather than ability and ultimately stardom.

Also we now have so many options and so much access to it.
    The definition of arrival at the top is not down to appearing on the once weekly Top of the Pops.
    Who the feck pays any attention to charts anymore, hell are they even collated anymore ?

Added to that we have all these talent shows where manufactured acts are flung out, creativity is not fostered, uniqueness is a handicap and longevity is never considered.

And part of this formulisation is that music has become corporate, much like sport.
    Boring is safe, safe means sponsors are forking out wads of cash and media watchdogs don't turn people off the product.
    And the product is now on view 24/7/365 so it can't be risked to have a non boring type.

A music executive would have a heart attack nowadays when faced with the likes of keith Moon or his protege Joe Walsh.
    No music executive would want their band banned from a world wide hotel chain ala, believe it or not those sometimes middle of the road sounding guys, The Eagles.

Safe sells itunes downloads.
    Safe is Ed Sheeran and Coldplay. :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rock stars aren't all hell raisers you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Birneybau wrote: »
    The Foo Fighters are as rock as Bon Jovi.

I know you like Jovi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Their music may suck (imho) but someone like Chris Martin or Ed Sheeran would rather enjoy their 8 bedroom, 5 bathroom house in Devon than wind up like Keith Moon, who could blame them.

This is the best answer I think. Back in the 70s and 80s, rock stars lived a life people could only wonder about and look at in awe. A bit like nobles back hundreds of years ago. Nowadays the basic standard of living and level of comfort is so high that wealth and hedonism does not deliver the same sense of awe or have the same psychological impact on people. People in coucil estates drive BMW's and snort cocaine at the weekend these days.

I've seen some dribble in my time but this is prime stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Bambi wrote: »
    I've seen some dribble in my time but this is prime stuff

Do you mean drivel?

Or do you lack a stiff lower lip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It's about access. In the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s, fans didn't have direct access to the musicians who were topping the charts, so they could only wonder what they were like, what kind of people they were. Wonder builds mystique which builds obsession.

Nowadays, everyone is on Twitter, including the musicians. It is common ground. Record labels build social media marketing campaigns around album releases. Singers are now on everyone's phones, not just in the pages of music magazines or posters on walls. Every gig is videoed by phone and on YouTube immediately. There's no mystery, that "legendary gig" that a few select people were at. You can look it all up online now.

Bands and singers even stream sessions from their recording studios, destroying the mystery of how a record is made. And of course, home recording has advanced which means the average person on the street can make a reasonably good sounding track on their laptop, or even tablet.

It does work to some artistes' advantage - One Direction cultivated a huge following through social media, same for Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande. But these are clearly not rock musicians.

The other aspect is the death of alternative rock. Back in the pre-Nirvana, pre-Oasis days, rock was on the sidelines, "indie" rarely broke through. A band got together with ambition no greater than to get on John Peel and maybe play the second stage at Glastonbury. Since the grunge and Britpop breakthroughs, nowadays it's all about having a long career rather than making a brief but important impact. And of course, making money.

Streaming is the final issue, as it also removes the mystique. I remember not being able to get my hands on certain records for months, years even. They became something mythical; that rare 12" or b-side that you'd never heard but HAD to have. Now, everything is available, everything is online, and I don't even have to pay for it.

It's about access. In the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s, fans didn't have direct access to the musicians who were topping the charts, so they could only wonder what they were like, what kind of people they were. Wonder builds mystique which builds obsession.

Nowadays, everyone is on Twitter, including the musicians. It is common ground. Record labels build social media marketing campaigns around album releases. Singers are now on everyone's phones, not just in the pages of music magazines or posters on walls. Every gig is videoed by phone and on YouTube immediately. There's no mystery, that "legendary gig" that a few select people were at. You can look it all up online now.

Bands and singers even stream sessions from their recording studios, destroying the mystery of how a record is made. And of course, home recording has advanced which means the average person on the street can make a reasonably good sounding track on their laptop, or even tablet.

It does work to some artistes' advantage - One Direction cultivated a huge following through social media, same for Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande. But these are clearly not rock musicians.

The other aspect is the death of alternative rock. Back in the pre-Nirvana, pre-Oasis days, rock was on the sidelines, "indie" rarely broke through. A band got together with ambition no greater than to get on John Peel and maybe play the second stage at Glastonbury. Since the grunge and Britpop breakthroughs, nowadays it's all about having a long career rather than making a brief but important impact. And of course, making money.

Streaming is the final issue, as it also removes the mystique. I remember not being able to get my hands on certain records for months, years even. They became something mythical; that rare 12" or b-side that you'd never heard but HAD to have. Now, everything is available, everything is online, and I don't even have to pay for it.

It's the problem of too much of a good thing. If you asked someone in 1995 would they like to have unlimited free access to any music they want and be able to look up anything they want about their favourite bands anytime they want, they would have been like "ILL DO ANYTHING TO HAVE THAT!" ... but when everyone actually has it, after a very short time it becomes something taken for granted and it removes any possibility of them once again enjoying the kind of excitement they were once able to have before the days of abundance. People are literally not able to be as genuinely grateful for or excited about music as they were in the 90s or before, and the same goes for visual media too. That permanent loss caused by recent technology a lot sadder than I think most people realise. Like really, how often does anyone nowadays *really* get as excited about the coming release of a movie/game/album/tv show/new season/book as people used to get before we all became spoiled by abundance? Like I suppose people years ago would love to have been able to live in a constant distracted state, facillitated by all the technology but it also means you are never really appreciating or enjoying any one thing as much as people enjoyed things years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Matt Bellamy of Muse is one of the last ones remaining. He shreds on guitar, all his songs are about the post apocalypse, he believes in all sorts of crazy conspiracies and no one really knows much about him.

Is that not Jim Corr?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

This video sums up the rise and fall of a rockstar nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

But he's a buttoned down husband and dad now.

In all fairness when you hit late 30s, early 40s the game is up. There's nothing worse than a mature male trying to play up to an image.

He's become a distinguished recording artist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who was the last real mainstream fcuk up I wonder. A Drug addict and alco, a real rockstar.

Pete Doherty? Amy Winehouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Less is often better.

Back in the bad old 80s, a highlight and must watch for the week was MTV USA on Sunday afternoon and TOTPS on Thursday, most especially if you were in two channel land.

Nowadays a kid can sit in their room and watch anything they want on a smart phone.
    There isn't the same focus given to specific events or specific times.

There is now more competition, faster turnaround of acts, less time given by record companies to acts to deliver.
    The likes of Cowell want their acts to follow a safe guaranteed formula which ensures financial return.
    Sure the acts can sing for the most part, but perish the thought they mightn't look fairly good, sound different or God Forbid try their own material.
    Every now and again a quirky act ala Susan Boyle is thrown up to tug at the old heart strings but they are the exception.

More options does not always mean more quality.

In my mind the one saving grace of modern media is that every so often someone or something special gains traction on Youtube.
    It actually helps circumvent the corporate music entities.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

the days of driving rolls royces into swimming pools and throwing TV's out of hotel windows are long gone i'm afraid, everyone gone boring & PC :rolleyes:

shame no real characters out there....like this chap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

There are a few around, I bumped in to one when I was having a stroll after work on Dun Laoghaire pier last month. Its just you do not hear of them being rebellious nowadays. Modern music is so poor compared to the music of a generation ago too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

maryishere wrote: »
    There are a few around, I bumped in to one when I was having a stroll after work on Dun Laoghaire pier last month.

Miss O'Connor by any chance?

Advertisement