Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi Box 4K - Android TV 6.0. 2GB/8GB (€39)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Have had a Mixbox for 6 months.
    I have only ever used it on Wifi only; rarely an issue with Netflix not playing or buffering. The only issue I have had is on a rare occasion, I get an error message that it cant play the eiposde. Shut the app down and restart sorts it. Ive had that on tablets before so I dont think its a uniquely Mixbox thing.

Also have IPTV using the IPTV Core app and playing on VLC. Rarely an issue on this either.

The box is about 10 metres from the Router as the crow flies (through walls?). Hall - kitchen basically.
    Cant recommend this box highly enough for the money. I paid €69 at the time but got caught for customs. I redd an interesting thread once about customs, not on boards of course, about Paypal screenshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

brendan86 wrote: »
    I thought the Mi box was the next best box to the Nvidia Shield? I was thinking of ordering it later, but what's all this about log cable problems and Netflix now buffering? Is it because it a cheap Chinese version or what?

As above. Issue with drm. I tried several different cables including the supplied one, direct to each hdmi input, through AVR, with a hdcp stripper, but all with same result (plays for 20 seconds and stops with error message). Contacted netflix, who said they are aware of the issue and working with xiaomi to resolve.
    From googling it, seems to affect some boxes more that others (some folks get
    very heated over the issue on some forums oddly). My tv, AVR cables are circa 2012.
    Having said that, I really like the box. Am just curious whether others have the issue. And to mark cards

(odd with the long/short cables thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Slevster wrote: »
    (odd with the long/short cables thing)

Might be a coincidence that my longer cables are dodgy (they are around 10 years old)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this or the new Amazon fire tv.

Someone with a bit of knowledge can you recommend the best of the 2 sorry for all these questions just wanna be sure to get the best value and good performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Invincible wrote: »
    Available for €51.47 from Geekbuying now($60.99), with code GEEKBUYING before checkout.
    Trying to order it from the ES warehouse. Put code in and delivery showing €26?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

iggy wrote: »
    Trying to order it from the ES warehouse. Put code in and delivery showing €26?

Europe-Express (3-4 Business Days) USD 10.83 YES

I just did a dummy run and that's what I got after using code,$84.82 total.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this or the new Amazon fire tv.

Someone with a bit of knowledge can you recommend the best of the 2 sorry for all these questions just wanna be sure to get the best value and good performance.

I had a Shield TV, currently have a Fire TV 4K and have a Mi Box on the way.

Fire TV is Amazon centric and you cannot customize the interface. Being in Ireland, you won't be able to play any of the Amazon content through the UI. But you can cast prime video from your phone to the Fire TV.

Netflix recommendations / titles are surfaced to the home screen UI which is handy, and Alexa works better with third party apps like Netflix than Google voice commands did on the Shield.

My Fire TV gets confused about what resolution it should be in. I have a 4K TV but the box will often wake and be set at 1080p.

I prefer the Android TV interface you get on Mi Box. Fire TV interface is like a big advertising billboard. The apps you have installed get lost in it.

Fire TV will have more software updates than the Mi Box which is still on Android 6, but is much more locked down.

Mi Box can act like a Chromecast receiver whereas the Fire TV can only receive Prime Video casts.

Performance wise, they have pretty much the same GPU. Mi Box has 2GHZ CPU while Fire TV has 1.5GHZ. Fire TV UI is smooth even in 4K, but Kodi running on it is sluggish at 4K.

Back in stock from this seller that I and others have used.
    Total about €70 using parcel motel.
    Looks like only a few in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

You are in the Spain stock , if you go to the Hong Kong stock it is $60.99 Link below

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html/

You get free shipping EMS or DHL.

Now I dunno if will be charged customs or not?

Edit: Thanks doylefe for taking your time and your review of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

You are in the Spain stock , if you go to the Hong Kong stock it is $60.99 Link below

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html/

You get free shipping EMS or DHL.

Now I dunno if will be charged customs or not?

Edit: Thanks doylefe for taking your time and your review of both.

DHL will cost an extra 28 euro ish. 14.50 for their charges + VAT of ~ 13 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

I've contacted the solutions shop who confirmed they are not having a black friday sale. So working its working out at €77 euro delivered with them.
    Geekbuying is working out at €68.81using code Geekbuying. delivered from Italian stock via Dhl.

Are geekbuying ok to buy from ? Or is worth paying the extra from the solutionshop ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

The ebay link posted earlier is reliable and works out around €70 using Parcel Motel/Wizard etc, I used it earlier in the year and got it within a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've contacted the solutions shop who confirmed they are not having a black friday sale. So working its working out at €77 euro delivered with them.
    Geekbuying is working out at €68.81using code Geekbuying. delivered from Italian stock via Dhl.

Are geekbuying ok to buy from ? Or is worth paying the extra from the solutionshop ?

Do they have it? I can't see it on their site.

Do they have it? I can't see it on their site.

https://m.geekbuying.com/Search/SearchPage?keyword=Mibox

Sorry, I meant Solutions Shop. I'm happy to pay a little extra to buy from them.

Sorry, I meant Solutions Shop. I'm happy to pay a little extra to buy from them.

https://thesolutionshop.co.uk/product/mi-box/

"We price match on all products"

Worth trying a price match with ebay link £57.95 ?

Ok, that's weird. I've never seen this Solution Shop before. I've bought from this one - https://thesolutionshop.global/about-us/

Same company apparently - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/7bffjr/comment/dpj3rpj

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Ended up buying this on Adverts.ie for €50. Really impressed with it so far, very responsive and feels well put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Where is the cheapest place to buy a xiaomi tv box inc shipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Does the Xiaomi Mi box need one of these do you think?

cronos wrote: »

Consensus is that you'll have better/more stable download sped by connecting to ethernet cable, that's why I'm getting one.

Was looking at this on ebay. Seller says they are based in ireland but might take over a month to get here and 15 pounds shipping
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Xiaomi-Mi-Box-4K-Google-Android-6-0-TV-BOX-HDR-International-Version/302438227212?hash=item466ab91d0c:g:Ir0AAOSwke9aAgpc#shpCntId

Was looking at this on ebay. Seller says they are based in ireland but might take over a month to get here and 15 pounds shipping
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Xiaomi-Mi-Box-4K-Google-Android-6-0-TV-BOX-HDR-International-Version/302438227212?hash=item466ab91d0c:g:Ir0AAOSwke9aAgpc#shpCntId

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

I haven't. But my box is very close to my router (which is a very run of the mill n router).
    Saw on the kodi forum, tests done with and without usb wired connection, and with ac WiFi, the wireless speeds were better.
    So, see how you go first. (also I have an external hdd connected, so, if you plan on expanding the memory also, you'll need a hub along with the wired connection)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Seen a youtube vid a while back where they found wireless is actually quicker than this route.

Wired is generally quicker but only if its a designated rj45 port, in this case I think wifi quicker

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Seen a youtube vid a while back where they found wireless is actually quicker than this route.

Wired is generally quicker but only if its a designated rj45 port, in this case I think wifi quicker

It's not really about speed, but about reliability and predictability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Another quick question about what this can do. Can I cast to it like I would with a Chromecast? I'm thinking of picking up one as a combi media/audio device so sometimes I'll just want to send what I'm listening on my phone to it to play over the speakers. Will this work or should I go with something else?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Another quick question about what this can do. Can I cast to it like I would with a Chromecast? I'm thinking of picking up one as a combi media/audio device so sometimes I'll just want to send what I'm listening on my phone to it to play over the speakers. Will this work or should I go with something else?

Yes, you can - it has built-in cast receiver. BBC iPlayer, Pluto etc work well and when cast finishes, the box goes to the app that was previously active.

Casting from Netflix is problematic though. The idea is to cast to a native app - and if the box has Netflix installed, it should be picked and play what you want to cast. But does not work (one of the Netflix updates broke that functionality). It is the case with a Shield too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

grogi wrote: »
    Yes, you can - it has built-in cast receiver. BBC iPlayer, Pluto etc work well and when cast finishes, the box goes to the app that was previously active.

Casting from Netflix is problematic though. The idea is to cast to a native app - and if the box has Netflix installed, it should be picked and play what you want to cast. But does not work (one of the Netflix updates broke that functionality). It is the case with a Shield too.

Cheers for the quick reply. I'll do some reading up on cast receiving. It'll mainly be podcasts, music etc. Video will be played "locally".

I presume it acting as a bluetooth A2DP receiver is out of the question? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭go4it

tippgod wrote: »

Scroll down the ebay page, to see the bussiness seller information : based in Singapore

there's a business to be done : from my laptop in the Dublin's kitchen, i have an online store on ebay (and no products in stock ) and sell products on behalf of a manufacturer in Asia. You pay to me, wait couple of weeks for the delivery ( from Asia) , hope for the customs not to charge you; and i pay the Asian manufacturer, less my cut for making a sell

how to spot 'resellers' : dispatch of the item takes more than 24h from the payment ( usually 3-5 days) ; delivery takes more than 7days , although the seller appears to be from Europe ( EU )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The number of times it has been pointed out in this thread that ionorchard/changaiairport ships from a fulfillment center in Manchester even though his/her business is registered in Singapore is ridiculous. People need to learn to read.

Use Parcel Motel/Wizard and get free delivery. You'll get the box for around €70 in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soadtool

for those in the know, is this a decent deal for this box. just looking for something cheap and cheerful

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tanix-TX2-R2-RK3229-KODI-4K-UHD-TV-BOX-380989.html

also, is the site reputable. ok to buy from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Oat23 wrote: »
    The number of times it has been pointed out in this thread that ionorchard/changaiairport ships from a fulfillment center in Manchester even though his/her business is registered in Singapore is ridiculous. People need to learn to read.

Use Parcel Motel/Wizard and get free delivery. You'll get the box for around €70 in a week.

Not a big user of ebay but I might get this deal. My question is; This seller only accepts Paypal, how do you get Paypal to recognise a UK delivery address for PW/PM/AP, when your account is registered in Ireland?

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Not a big user of ebay but I might get this deal. My question is; This seller only accepts Paypal, how do you get Paypal to recognise a UK delivery address for PW/PM/AP, when your account is registered in Ireland?
    Just change your primary delivery address in ebay to your PM address and pay via PayPal as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

soadtool wrote: »
    for those in the know, is this a decent deal for this box. just looking for something cheap and cheerful

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tanix-TX2-R2-RK3229-KODI-4K-UHD-TV-BOX-380989.html

also, is the site reputable. ok to buy from?
    'I haven't a clue (if the site is reputable) but I'm tempted anyway ... 2GB/16GB for €21!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Mike1961 wrote: »
    'I haven't a clue (if the site is reputable) but I'm tempted anyway ... 2GB/16GB for €21!!!

That box was never 58 dollars. It usually retails for around 20 Euro. It's a 3229 chip. It's an ok box but not a bargain. Go for a 905x or 912 chip

This is a good buy. It can be converted to Android TV box similar to mi box with firmware from freaktab forum

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-Plus-4K-TV-Box-381461.html

Firmware
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/659305-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Banggood are selling it for €33. For a 2GB that's exempt duty it is a bargain, even for a low end chip

• Advertisement

styron wrote: »
    Banggood are selling it for €33. For a 2GB that's exempt duty it is a bargain, even for a low end chip

€33 is not exempt, the limit is €25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

grogi wrote: »
    €33 is not exempt, the limit is €25.

Sorry for not being clearer, was referring to the initial geekbuying €21 - €12 cheaper than Banggood making it a (import VAT exempt) bargain.

(Over €26.06 attracts 23% + €10 An Post handling if caught)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Its far from ridiculous,who's to say the fulfillment centre will have stock all the time?

Its certainly better then a seller that exclusively dropships from China but ridiculous certainly not,no harm in being aware of the possibility of delays if there is a shortage of stock in the fulfillment centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Purchased another on Friday from Manchester, shipped on Saturday. Can't beat that.

From the original post, £39 from eBay.
    As highlighted earlier by oats, seller changed their name on eBay and made feedback private, along with false tracking number.
    Opened dispute with PayPal, got refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

wiz569 wrote: »
    Its far from ridiculous,who's to say the fulfillment centre will have stock all the time?

Its certainly better then a seller that exclusively dropships from China but ridiculous certainly not,no harm in being aware of the possibility of delays if there is a shortage of stock in the fulfillment centre.

He/she only lists stock they have at the fulfillment center. I've bought 7 boxes and 2 phones. When the boxes were OOS ages ago I messaged and asked if they would be back in stock again and I was told they would have more available in a few days. They could have kept selling a dozen a day but they didn't until they were available.

If you go back and check I must have said at least 5 times that the stock is in Manchester after people said it was in Asia putting people off buying. It's frustrating that people cannot take a few minutes to read a thread before commenting. They think they know everything already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

If you go back and check I must have said at least 5 times that the stock is in Manchester after people said it was in Asia putting people off buying. It's frustrating that people cannot take a few minutes to read a thread before commenting. They think they know everything already.

I dont have to go back and check,I already read your many endorsements of the seller,

There is no harm in letting people know that stock maybe in Asia and that they may have to wait,that's all ,not ridiculous in anyway,

Plus you will also notice that changaiairport also states the item is located in Ireland not Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

He/she only lists stock they have at the fulfillment center. I've bought 7 boxes and 2 phones. When the boxes were OOS ages ago I messaged and asked if they would be back in stock again and I was told they would have more available in a few days. They could have kept selling a dozen a day but they didn't until they were available.

Picked up one of these from ionorchard. Ordered on November 23, shipped on the 28th from England, arrived at Parcel Motel on the 4th and got it in my hands last night.

Seems like a great bit of kit so far. Might order a second one of my room and one for my parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Got my Mibox this week and although it seems like a decent bit of kit it is not for me!

I will be sticking it up on adverts soon but if anyone interested before I do that then PM me, will let it go for what I paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

reni10 wrote: »
    Got my Mibox this week and although it seems like a decent bit of kit it is not for me!

I will be sticking it up on adverts soon but if anyone interested before I do that then PM me, will let it go for what I paid for it.

How much did you pay out of interest? I've already ordered one but curious what people paid overall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement