Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Paste

Options
  • 09-10-2017 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy some thermal paste to replace it on a laptop cpu. Where in Dublin can I get it cheap? Maplins has a tube for 23euro, but only need a small bit, so not spending that much. Sort of need it ASAP, so a bricks and mortar shop will have to do.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

PC World have €8.99 and €12.99

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Sorry, should of said I checked them too. Both out of stock in Jervis. I'm not really near any of there other branches. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I could get lynched here but if it's not going to be overclocked, you would get away with using some copper grease. You can pick it up in halfords for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I could get lynched here but if it's not going to be overclocked, you would get away with using some copper grease. You can pick it up in halfords for a fiver.

I wouldn't risk that, too much and you risk frying the CPU or worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think copper grease would be OK but for the sake of saving a couple euro might as well go for the thermal paste. Especially on a laptop, be more forgiving on a desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Sudocreme, it's very similar ingredients and will get you out of a bind...not a long term solution, but will do if you're stuck

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I wouldn't risk that, too much and you risk frying the CPU or worse!

Na, you're not going to risk frying the CPU. It will do the same thing (conduct the heat between the two and not dry out quickly), it just won't do it AS well as arctic silver or one of those.

I wouldn't go using it on an overclocked system, but for a normal every day setup, it would be ok.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Sudocreme, it's very similar ingredients and will get you out of a bind...not a long term solution, but will do if you're stuck

This I'm not sure about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

This I'm not sure about :pac:

Old trick, been used for years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Na, you're not going to risk frying the CPU. It will do the same thing (conduct the heat between the two and not dry out quickly), it just won't do it AS well as arctic silver or one of those.

I wouldn't go using it on an overclocked system, but for a normal every day setup, it would be ok.
    https://textar-professional.com/textar-training-center/the-use-of-copper-grease-on-modern-brakes/
    Copper grease is an anti-seize compound consisting of fine copper particles in a non-melting Bentone (a type of clay)
    Sounds to me like an electrically conductive material; I wouldn't put that inside a computer.

@OP there's loads of small shops selling on Adverts.ie; you'd get it by Friday for less than a fiver.
    If you really REALLY can't wait...
    Denture cream.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sounds to me like an electrically conductive material; I wouldn't put that inside a computer.

A tiny amount is going between your CPU and heatsink, nowhere else. Also, according to google and tests carried out by people, it's not electrically conductive.

tldr;

In this video I test and show relative performance of two thermal compounds and copper grease used as thermal grease. DUT is 7805 voltage reg, 30V input, load 0.7A. Long story short, the copper grease works, but not as well as an actual thermal paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've heard of people using toothpaste as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

All sorted lads, thanks all. Seems Maplin had a bigger range than their website let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Yeah just picked some up yesterday in maplin. Usually I'd stay away from them because their range and prices are dreadful, but for small bits & pieces they're grand.

CoolerMaster Thermal Paste ~ 9 euro

Advertisement