Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's involved in removing arfificial grass ?

Options
  • 09-10-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering what's involved in replacing artificial lawn with real lawn. I mean if I just tear up the artificial stuff what will I find underneath ? Will there be topsoil that I can just plant grass seed directly into or do they prepare the ground in some way for the artificial grass that I would have to undo before I could plant any real plants in it again ? What would it cost me to get back to a natural lawn ?

Thanks,

Usjes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No-one can answer that! The only way to find out is to take a bit of it up and see. It may well be top soil - it depends on why and how the artificial grass was put down in the first place. If it was put down professionally you may well find hardcore on sub soil, in which case you will have a lot of work, or it may just have been put down on level top soil. If that is the case you will just need to dig it over and rake it smooth before sowing seed - you would be better to wait till spring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

looksee wrote: »
    No-one can answer that! The only way to find out is to take a bit of it up and see. It may well be top soil - it depends on why and how the artificial grass was put down in the first place. If it was put down professionally you may well find hardcore on sub soil, in which case you will have a lot of work, or it may just have been put down on level top soil. If that is the case you will just need to dig it over and rake it smooth before sowing seed - you would be better to wait till spring though.

It would have been an expensive professional installation, what is 'hardcore' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hardcore is rough gravel stone. Also known as 804. How big is the area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

hawkelady wrote: »
    Hardcore is rough gravel stone. Also known as 804. How big is the area ?

Area is probably ~15foot by ~25 foot, I presume this 'hardcore' is loose material ? So it would just be the expense of shovelling it all into a skip and then maybe replacing it with some fresh topsoil ? Or is this hardcore fixed in place somehow with cement or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

http://www.amazonartificialgrass.ie/rathfarnham/

Prob just 2 inches of 804 and dust. Should be loose for drainage and therefore come up easily.

This thread is pleasing. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Yip. Easy job and it'll keep you warm. Shovel, wheelbarrow and skip is what's needed!! Good luck .. I'd wait til spring to do it though. Coming into winter and there will be muck everywhere

Advertisement