Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure areas to park bikes in Dublin city centre

Options
  • 09-10-2017 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

You dont need to give specific locations, just general vicinities, but recommend anywhere I could leave my bike locked for around four hours during lunchtime?

It has a bike computer which is wired up so would be a hassle to take off.

Merrion Square or something like that? I can then take a Dublin Bike to my final destination.

Not bothered about the Drury st parking option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Nowhere then? Wow the city has gone down the tubes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

mrcheez wrote: »
    You dont need to give specific locations, just general vicinities, but recommend anywhere I could leave my bike locked for around four hours during lunchtime?

It has a bike computer which is wired up so would be a hassle to take off.

Merrion Square or something like that? I can then take a Dublin Bike to my final destination.

Not bothered about the Drury st parking option.

why not Drury St? It is exactly what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

yeah, just don't read the comments though..

"Guys Trinity is not safe to park your bike, bikes go missing every day in there! Mine was stolen from there and the Guards in Pearse st said it happens all the time 😢"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

07Lapierre wrote: »
    "Guys Trinity is not safe to park your bike, bikes go missing every day in there! Mine was stolen from there and the Guards in Pearse st said it happens all the time ��"

Not saying it's ok but do some of these trinners heads lock their bikes badly?
    I had a mate who had the bar tape stripped off her handlebars in there!

Some of those places mentioned by lovindublin aren't great in fairness. Not that many places on Wicklow St itself to lock a bike and I've had trouble finding somewhere outside Hodges Figgis before, especially with Luas works going on.

• Advertisement

I guess parking outside a busy cafe (anywhere) is generally going to be safe?

Anyway I'll be locking it with double locks so it more like vandalism I'm concerned about rather than losing the bike so that sort of behaviour is less likely if the perp is surrounded by people watching.

What kind of cycle computer is it that can't be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I guess parking outside a busy cafe (anywhere) is generally going to be safe?
    A friend had her locked bike stolen from right outside Cinnamon in Ranelagh - doesn't get much busier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Effects wrote: »
    What kind of cycle computer is it that can't be removed?

no matter the type, it'll be gone before long if left on the bike anywhere in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

OP your bike is vulnerable no matter where you leave it.

heres my few suggestions
    1: lock your bike to something solid (e.g steel railings or a steel bike rack)

2: choose a location that is as public as possible and ideally has CCTV

3: remove anything that is not bolted to the bike (e.g. Lights, computer, saddle bag etc)

4: use TWO locks and lock both the frame and both wheels.

5: Don't leave your bike unattended for any longer than necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

A friend had her locked bike stolen from right outside Cinnamon in Ranelagh - doesn't get much busier than that.

The lads in Penny Farthing Cycles said that they had a fellow in a van with an angle grinder arrive at the rack just outside their shop. By the time they had registered what was happening and phased as they were by the sheer unthinkable audacity of the act, the thief was taking off in the van with someone else's bike. They said that they were so slow to react as they couldn't quite believe what they were seeing. Horrible to think that even bike people would be caught out like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

How about the Dail? there is a post with a blue bike ring within spitting distance of the 2 garda stationed at the gate.

I went for the busy cafe option as it suited my route better, also in a yuppie area so less skangers prevalent.

Seemed to work out nicely. The bike computer is connected via a cable, not wireless so couldn't be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The bike computer is connected via a cable, not wireless so couldn't be removed.
    Does the head unit not slide off the holder? That's how they used to work anyway but I haven't had one for years.

BTW - I use Drury Street regularly and have never had a problem there).

Does the head unit not slide off the holder? That's how they used to work anyway but I haven't had one for years.

BTW - I use Drury Street regularly and have never had a problem there).

You'll have to believe me when i say the cable can't be disconnected :)

De Bhál wrote: »
    no matter the type, it'll be gone before long if left on the bike anywhere in Dublin city.

Of course it would. That's why I was curious of the type. Didn't think there was any that couldn't be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I guess parking outside a busy cafe (anywhere) is generally going to be safe?.
    No, there are numerous tactics they would/could use, I will not post as you never know who is reading and do not want to give out ideas. PM me if you are interested in why I personally would not lock in "busy places", though they might be somewhat better.

Commenters on the lovin dublin place were right, they have now exposed/disclosed places considered "safe" or "safeR".

I would be happy to pay a good price to have mine locked up and insured. I think some might think it is not viable as they would have to charge a lot, but I would pay a good amount as the alternative for me is taxis, luas, bus & walking. I would be happy to pay a price, a price so if nicked I would be actually be able to buy a better bike, or at least the same bike again but brand new.

The thing about busy cafes is that the perp doesn't know if the owner isn't one of the people sitting outside drinking coffee or working just behind the glass window.

Also there are lots of CCTVs in the area I chose, including the cafe itself. Anyway I reckon this is my new spot for these kinds of trips.

You still haven't mentioned what type your trip computer is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Effects wrote: »
    You still haven't mentioned what type your trip computer is?

I'm intrigued also. I had a number of wired cycle computers down the years, but they always had a removable head unit (as in the actual computer bit, which could slide out of the holder).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

rubadub wrote: »
    No, there are numerous tactics they would/could use, I will not post as you never know who is reading and do not want to give out ideas. PM me if you are interested in why I personally would not lock in "busy places", though they might be somewhat better.

Commenters on the lovin dublin place were right, they have now exposed/disclosed places considered "safe" or "safeR".

I would be happy to pay a good price to have mine locked up and insured. I think some might think it is not viable as they would have to charge a lot, but I would pay a good amount as the alternative for me is taxis, luas, bus & walking. I would be happy to pay a price, a price so if nicked I would be actually be able to buy a better bike, or at least the same bike again but brand new.

have you used the Cyclok lockers in Pearse or Heuston?

check_six wrote: »
    I'm intrigued also. I had a number of wired cycle computers down the years, but they always had a removable head unit (as in the actual computer bit, which could slide out of the holder).

Some generic make. Wasn't expensive but I don't want to lose it and have to buy another :)

Advertisement