Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Werburgh St, Dublin 8

Options
  • 09-10-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Long shot I know - but just wondering if anyone can dig up photos of 12 Werburgh St.

We found out recently my great granddad owed a pub due to a picture of his label of Guinness Porter in the window of the Arlington Hotel - my great granddad had it there up until the 1920's we've found out through Diego and also got copies of two of the labels, there was then two owners after the 1920's.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would have been the next building to the right of this. Sickening, I know.

Long shot I know - but just wondering if anyone can dig up photos of 12 Werburgh St.

We found out recently my great granddad owed a pub due to a picture of his label of Guinness Porter in the window of the Arlington Hotel - my great granddad had it there up until the 1920's we've found out through Diego and also got copies of two of the labels, there was then two owners after the 1920's.

if you are on FB, there is a great group called dublin of Old. They have brilliant photos and some great contributors. try asking them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/148-corbetts

Not a great photo, but it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

spurious wrote: »

Presumably changed to Corbetts at some point, any idea when?

Jake1 wrote: »
    if you are on FB, there is a great group called dublin of Old. They have brilliant photos and some great contributors. try asking them.

Just joined a couple of groups there now. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Presumably changed to Corbetts at some point, any idea when?

Its John McDonnell in 1943, Corbett Bros in 1980 and I haven't checked in between yet. What name are you expecting?

edit: 1925 is Thomas Egan. Harder to get the data further back.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its John McDonnell in 1943, Corbett Bros in 1980 and I haven't checked in between yet. What name are you expecting?

edit: 1925 is Thomas Egan. Harder to get the data further back.

Excellent L1011!

Thomas Egan and/or John Egan up until 1925?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its list as Thomas Egan in 1926 and John McDonnell in 1927. These are from Thoms Directory - directories do not update with 100% accuracy every year.

A nice email to the lovely folk upstairs in Pearse Street library will get you the info you want if they are not too busy.

Clear unambiguous queries such as 'Between what years was Egan the landlord at 12 Werburgh Street? I know they were there in 19XX' are a delight for librarians.
    It certainly beats 'Where was John or maybe Michael Kelly living in the 1800s?'

Cheers guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 eamo cos

Hi

I worked there 1980s.

I have a photo somewhere

Advertisement