Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASD the story continues

Options
  • 09-10-2017 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭

I find the forum is mostly focused on the diagnosis side. The story doesn't stop there. It could be useful to share other experiences that us parents have that are unique to parenting an ASD child.

My 8 year old is a hand flapper when he is happy or excited, which is quite often sometimes there is bouncing included with the flaps. After doing my research when he was younger I came to the conclusion that it was better to leave it alone unless it becomes a problem.

A couple months ago he was really upset one evening when I was collecting him. A boy had copied the hand flapping and he was devastated. I had a word with the after school place and they spoke to the boy and made him apologise. It was the first indication that I got that he was aware of the hand flapping. Fast forward to last night he told me he doesn't want to 'shake' his hands anymore. From chatting to him no one has said/done anything he doesn't want to do it because no one else does. We haven't told him about the diagnosis but not trying to hide it either. I asked him if he wants to know why his hand shake and he said no. So I don't think he is ready for that chat yet.

Now that he is older and we have been able to discuss the hand flapping (he calls it shaking) and it is what he wants I will address the flapping. I as always will be doing my own research in conjunction to talking to the OT so I can choose the best option.
    So far I have been told about getting him to clap instead - not sure that will work in places like the cinema or in class
    Squeezing something like a stress ball - he likes this idea the best as he can just stick his hands in his pockets and no one will see.
    Sitting on hands as it gives sensory feedback to hands - thought this was weird when I first heard it but it allows the child to get that much needed sensation. Not sure it is for us as my fella is not a fan of sitting.

TL/DR son has decided he wants to stop hand flapping. His mother is now thinking there is tons of ways people do this I really hope I pick the best option.

Advertisement