Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect CCTV cameras in series?

Options
  • 10-10-2017 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I'm installing a Hikvision CCTV system in my house and wondering if I can connect the 4 cameras in series to a single power supply or must they be powered in parallel? I've seen plenty of 12v 5a power supplies that have 4 parallel outputs, but not many with just 1 output. If I can get a single output 12v 5a power supply, can I power 4 cameras in series or will the power drop as it goes through each camera and cause issues?

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Eireann81 wrote: »
    I'm installing a Hikvision CCTV system in my house and wondering if I can connect the 4 cameras in series to a single power supply or must they be powered in parallel? I've seen plenty of 12v 5a power supplies that have 4 parallel outputs, but not many with just 1 output. If I can get a single output 12v 5a power supply, can I power 4 cameras in series or will the power drop as it goes through each camera and cause issues?

All advice appreciated.

They would be powered in parallel, negative and positive connections.
    Most of the in line power supplies would also have split leads which can be attached to the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

altor wrote: »
    They would be powered in parallel, negative and positive connections.
    Most of the in line power supplies would also have split leads which can be attached to the power supply.

Thanks for the quick reply! I understand that I could power them in parallel, but the power cables for each camera run to the 4 corners in the attic where they appear to be looped in series. If I find the power cable to the first camera in series, can I install a 12v power supply at that point to power the 4 cameras, or will I have to install a power supply at each corner of the attic?

Thanks for the quick reply! I understand that I could power them in parallel, but the power cables for each camera run to the 4 corners in the attic where they appear to be looped in series. If I find the power cable to the first camera in series, can I install a 12v power supply at that point to power the 4 cameras, or will I have to install a power supply at each corner of the attic?

They can't be done in series.
    You will need to split the cable and have reds and blacks together to give each camera a 12v supply. If they are in the attic and you have access you could run new power cables to each one. What way are the cameras cables themselves ran?

altor wrote: »
    They can't be done in series.
    You will need to split the cable and have reds and blacks together to give each camera a 12v supply. If they are in the attic and you have access you could run new power cables to each one. What way are the cameras cables themselves ran?

Ok, the pictures might explain it better than I can, but basically there is a power and coax cable going to each corner of the house. All 4 coax cables go to a room downstairs where I'll have the DVR. All 4 power cables feed up to 4 switches in the attic (one in each corner). Each switch appears looped to the next one (grey cable), and the white cable goes outside to the camera. My plan was to introduce a single 12v power supply to the grey wire and power all 4 cameras, but from what I now understand, I think I might have to buy 4 separate power supplies, and place each one in line with the white cable. Each of the switches in the attic appear to have the same configuration: grey cable in, grey cable out (the loop), and a white cable to the camera. I hope that makes sense!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can use the one power supply as long as its powerful enough.
    The wiring would be in parallel though , not in series.
    From the power supply + can goto + on every camera & - will goto - on every camera. This parallel wiring can loop from one camera to the next .

• Advertisement

Ok, the pictures might explain it better than I can, but basically there is a power and coax cable going to each corner of the house. All 4 coax cables go to a room downstairs where I'll have the DVR. All 4 power cables feed up to 4 switches in the attic (one in each corner). Each switch appears looped to the next one (grey cable), and the white cable goes outside to the camera. My plan was to introduce a single 12v power supply to the grey wire and power all 4 cameras, but from what I now understand, I think I might have to buy 4 separate power supplies, and place each one in line with the white cable. Each of the switches in the attic appear to have the same configuration: grey cable in, grey cable out (the loop), and a white cable to the camera. I hope that makes sense!

The reason for the loop is this is wired for mains for each camera.
    You could install a power supply for each camera off that and use the cable going to the camera for the 12v supply.

I thought I'd give an update on the situation. I ended up buying 4 separate power supplies, and I've installed them in the attic. I've only connected 2 cameras so far, and I'm happy enough with the results. It was a bit of a pain trying to figure out how to view remotely (port forwarding / dynamic IP), but I got there in the end.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Glad you got sorted.
    Can you post the type of power supplies you used. Might be best to keep them up away from insulation is case of overheating.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Glad you got sorted.
    Can you post the type of power supplies you used. Might be best to keep them up away from insulation is case of overheating.

I bought 4 12v 1a drivers from a local electrical suppliers. I wired each of them into the switches inside the attic, and they are kept away from insulation and anything else flammable.

Advertisement