Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn

Options
  • 10-10-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

We have a 2 acre site. I’ve got trees planted on about 1 acre of it. It was grazing land for cattle until last December. The grass/docks grew very long during the summer and then fell down on itself.

My question is if I want to convert it from grass land to a lawn what do I need to do? We are building a house on the site and there won’t be much left in the budget for landscaping. I need something for the young lad to play on next summer. Is it possible to spray it, rotavate it,rake it and seed it or a portion of it? When it the best time of year to do it? Or do I need heavier equipment or a contractor? Even a small portion of it will be enough for him.

thanks

Frogeye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

bit late now for it... missed the boat by maybe 2-3 weeks
    best to spray it off, and as you say, remove the trash, either plough or rotavate, and re-seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Just cut the grass to the height you want it at. First scalping will leave it looking white/yellow but it'll be fine and just maintain it. You can still cut once or twice this year.
    Maybe get some sand to fill in any holes left after the cows. Don't want any twisted ankles

Advertisement