Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to cancel a credit card?

Options
  • 10-10-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

BoI have been sending me credit cards for 25 years, which i havent used for 20 years now.  

Normally I just throw them in a drawer but recently they have started sending me monthly statements, showing zero balances each month ... which are a bit of an irritation.

I dont bank with BoI anymore as this card dates from my college days.

Whats the easiest way to cancel it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi jinx257,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We would recommend that you contact our Credit Card department on 0818 251 251 and an advisor will be able to advise you on how to close the credit card account.

Our team are available till 8pm this evening.  

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. 

Have a good day.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jinx257

Hi jinx257,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We would recommend that you contact our Credit Card department on 0818 251 251 and an advisor will be able to advise you on how to close the credit card account.

Our team are available till 8pm this evening.  

Have a good day.

Thanks,

Kareana
    Can't you tell me?  Is it that complicated that I need an "advisor" to steer me through it?

or you can keep sending me monthly zero statements at a euro in postage each month....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And you’ve been paying stamp duty on them ???

vicwatson wrote: »
    And you’ve been paying stamp duty on them ???
    No, never been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

jinx257 wrote: »
    Can't you tell me?  Is it that complicated that I need an "advisor" to steer me through it?

or you can keep sending me monthly zero statements at a euro in postage each month....

I think they mean that the advisor will cancel the card for you rather than just give you instructions to do it yourself. Reasonable enough imo. Mind boggles that you've let it run 20 years without cancelling. If the bank were to just cancel it because it wasn't used they'd be the worst in the world too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No, never been used.
    Stamp duty is liable on credit cards whether they're used or not, unless you close the account within the same period it was opened.

I hope for your financial sake you mean debit card!

TheChizler wrote: »
    No, never been used.
    Stamp duty is liable on credit cards whether they're used or not, unless you close the account within the same period it was opened.

I hope for your financial sake you mean debit card!
    credit card..  i was in australia if that makes a difference  ... balance always shows zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi jinx257,

Thanks for the reply.

To request the closure of your credit card account you will have to call and speak with an advisor from our credit card team on the number given in the previous reply.

Thanks,

Kareana

Advertisement