Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Dance

Options
  • 10-10-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's race week and this thread covers viewing options.

Great to see 20 Irish athletes racing over there. Personally, I'm looking forward to tracking Zico. I think interested put it brilliantly in his training log so I'm not going to say anything except good luck Alan.

There are a couple of cool resources with interviews, etc. here are two I like - Bob & Talbot.

In the womens race it's hard to see past Ryf. It'll be interesting to see how Jackson does this year after her breakthrough last year. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Rachel Joyce goes.

In the mens race Jan seems to be raging favourite. I'd love to see Sebi pull it off. How will Lange handle the pressure after that amazing run last year. How will Lionel do? What impact will Josh have on the race and Wurf also. The Hoff seems to be in great shape too. Jame Cunnama is flying under the radar a bit and has some stellar results since returning to Sutton earlier this year. Should be a cracking race.

How do folks see it unfolding?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Sad to see Emmett Kelly coming off the bike and breaking his collarbone the other day. Have seen a few of the Irish talking about the heat over there and looks like it might be a big factor on their days, I'm not sure we were made for that heat!

If Ryf is over her injuries, Sutton has said she is, it will definitely be hard to look past her. Lucy Charles has done well in Lanza and will be first out of the water, bike has improved as well but probably not running well enough, yet, to trouble Ryf. Think the women's battle will be for 2,3,4,5.

Men's I think could be more interesting. Jan has been quiet enough this year, but still think he's the man to beat. Thread on slowtwitch asking is his run good enough to win but he's always done enough to win, hard to judge his older run times. I'd say Kienle and Hoff to round off the podium, but not sure in what order. Lange, Sanders and Don will be interesting I think. Lange ran really well last year but, I think, has had a few injuries this year and won't be going as un-noticed during the race. Sanders swim will probably decide it for him, has been swimming well but a rough sea swim combined with being non-wetsuit might hurt his chances. Don has been going very strongly this year and his bike seems to have really come on (doing a good bit with drag2zero and Matt Botrill from the UK) but there has been questions over the draft from the motorbike in a few of his races.

I think it's one of the more open races and even if someone like Sanders doesn't make the podium he could have a big impact on who does, If he catches Kienle before Kienle catches the main group it might save some energy for Kienle. Same with Don, even though I'd say he will be out higher up but might share some of the work in the front group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I think that frodeno and amberger break away in the swim and put the pressure on
    And see what happens...
    Frodo has the most complete package and can try many things and the see what works.
    He defo has the run. Nit yes he never has shown a perfect 2nd half of the marathon
    And last year they started way to fast... People say large would have could have... But large was not there at the start and I think that speed would have burned him too.

Judging from last year Boris stein was the one... If he races a bit smarter than last year on the bike the man can run and be on podium. He is only training full time 3 years now so realistically of all the top 10 he has the most potential too improve the most.

We say this every year but I think this year has the chance to be a cracker
    Frodo amberger
    Lange van lirde Don Hoffman o donnel
    Kienle Sanders stein
    Three potential groups
    I think that Kienle is better than ever.
    And Sanders has learned a lot this year

Iam extremely excited to watch this year
    I think Lange will find it harder this year.
    But we will see. He did very well in ruegen
    No 3 Germans on the podium
    Females kaisa sali would be my pick for second.

Zico told me earlier this year he will prove me wrong that you can't race lost sheep and hawaii both at 100% ( i think it's too big of an ask)
    He never told me if lost sheep was 100%
    So iam interested to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looking forward to following the pro race. Not expecting any surprises, Frodo and Ryf the obvious 2 winners.
    Mens podium filled with Kienle & Sanders (i believe he has really focussed on swim and volume the last few months)
    Ladies podium filled with Jackson and Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Really looking forward to this year's race.

The obvious favourites are obvious for a reason and it's hard to see past Frodo and Ryf but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm curious as to what frodos tactics will be. There are plenty of men in the race that can make a big impact without necessarily winning. Such as Amberger and Wurf - it could pay him to go harder on the bike early on than he has in past years in order to avoid leaving T2 with guys like Lange and maybe Sanders.

If Sanders does come out of the water with kienle the dynamics will be interesting. If Sanders rides like he did at st.george and the challenge championship kienle could end up reaching the front pack with fresher legs than he has in previous years.

I'd love to see Ben Hoffman get a result, but it's hard to see him reaching the top step without someone else having a bad day.

It would be nice to see someone really challenge Rtf in the ladies race. Jackson would be my preference but similar to Hoffman I think it could take an off day put her on the top step this year.

The AG race is more interesting than ever for me this year as we have 4 locals, plus Zico that I'll be cheering on.

Looking forward to following the pro race. Not expecting any surprises, Frodo and Ryf the obvious 2 winners.
    Mens podium filled with Kienle & Sanders (i believe he has really focussed on swim and volume the last few months)
    Ladies podium filled with Jackson and Joyce

Id love to see joyce do well but it's hard to see her being in top shape given the hoops she needed to o through to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Tim Don out of race, hit by a car, fractured C2 Vertebrae. its a real pity this has happened so close to the race, Don was having a stellar season and i was looking forward to seeing how he would go this year, hopefully he has a quick recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Is there a link to follow the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Lo_La wrote: »
    Is there a link to follow the race?

There's a link in the opening line of the opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Ah yes I see that now! Thanks

Anyone watch any of the breakfast with bob stuff on youtube?? Watched a few on the turbo over the last few nights. It's a bit of a love-in and no really hard questions but some are worth a watch. Thought Sanders came across really well, very relaxed and seems like a bit of craic same as Jesse Thomas. Jan is very polished, well used to being interviewed. Lucy Charles was a strange interview, looked like he didn't really know a whole lot about her, didn't really look at her when he was interviewing her. She did say though she used to swim 100km a week during her swim career, down to 'only' 30km a week now.

• Advertisement

I've listened to a few of them. Really enjoyed Sanders & Sebi. Vesterby is wired. She's hyper and bubbly beyond belief. Jan is just Mr Smooth and uber polished.

I enjoyed the Wurf & Nilsson ones too. Will listen to Jesse later.

P.

Haven't seen some of them ones you have mentioned yet P so I'll check them out. Yep you can see why Jan must be a sponsors dream, very articulate, easy going and seems like a nice fella.

I didn't really get the Sanders love that goes on in slowtwitch, I can appreciate he's very very good but I didn't get the big fascination with him. After his interview though I think I'm going to turn into a bit of a fan boy, very open, realistic and works hard. Now where can I buy a Louis Garneau bike so I can put out 340 watts for 4 hours......

Talansky's one is good too, be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Slowtwitch is an american forum, they love the idea of a real non european contender , even it its a canadian. i'm more surprised TOD doesn't get more love, ex army man and all, they should all be thanking him for his service

sanders coming late to the sport rather than being a child star resonates well

they all love Starykowicz as well, similar reasons, the arguments he's not a top tier contender cause he can't back up the bike doesn't sit well with them at all

a lot of poor runners on slowtwitch, they love strong bikers rather than fast runners

Lots of Lionel fanboys on ST alright. They're very blinkered.

James Cunnama is really talking up Ironman Hamburg. Also interesting that he's ahead of where he expected to be after switching back to Sutton.

Will have a listen to Talansky. Also curious to hear what Amberger has to say.

The boss lady is away for the weekend so I'll have no distractions watching it tomorrow night :cool: :pac: After saying that, the kids will surely play up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Hey all, Really buzzing for this race tomorrow!

For those that fancy a read, here is an interview with the 3 kona qualifiers from 3D including Zico who everyone here is wishing him luck and keeping an eye on him via tracker or tv tomorrow

https://www.3dtri.ie/kona-2017/

RJM85 wrote: »
    Id love to see joyce do well but it's hard to see her being in top shape given the hoops she needed to o through to get there.

Whilst I agree experience counts for a hell of a lot in Kona. Apart from Ryf nobody comes close to Joyce's previous results in Kona and whilst she is far from her best I don't think there is much depth in the ladies field and she should podium.

bradon currie for top 3, sneaking suspicion. the guy knows how to hurt yet keep going...

and as i say it he gets a flat. in case i can affect things, ryff for the win too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

mossym wrote: »
    bradon currie for top 3, sneaking suspicion. the guy knows how to hurt yet keep going...

Been following Braden closely through Fitter radio, his coach Becan McKinney hosts the podcast. He's really pushing for it, felt really bad for him picking up a puncture just after he takes the lead and then Tom Reid gets one. That's ironman racing for you.

Been following Braden closely through Fitter radio, his coach Becan McKinney hosts the podcast. He's really pushing for it, felt really bad for him picking up a puncture just after he takes the lead and then Tom Reid gets one. That's ironman racing for you.

aye that's where i found out about him to, listen to it every week

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    aye that's where i found out about him to, listen to it every week

Looking for meat to how Laura Siddal gets on on the bike too

*drunken chanting*

Lionel! Lionel!

Men's pro race shaping up nicely.

Whilst I agree experience counts for a hell of a lot in Kona. Apart from Ryf nobody comes close to Joyce's previous results in Kona and whilst she is far from her best I don't think there is much depth in the ladies field and she should podium.

If she makes the podium it'll be a fantastic achievement in context even given the relatively shallow ladies field.

If I was Lucy Charles I'd be going mad having a shadow for the whole swim and then the bike. Bit unfair on her I think

If I was Lucy Charles I'd be going mad having a shadow for the whole swim and then the bike. Bit unfair on her I think

I'd be surprised if she needs to worry about Brandon come business time

RJM85 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if she needs to worry about Brandon come business time

Me neither but would help keep something in the tank over the others

This is a fantastic lead group for the men.

I'd love to see Terenzo have a good race - one of the few top tier pros I've encountered and seems like a class act

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Long walk coming up

• Advertisement

Wurf/ Keinle put in that gap fairly quickly.

Advertisement