Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub gear bike dilemma

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Where did you get it serviced.

They aren't in the shops to try or buy. It's a very rare sight to see a 8 speed hub geared bike. In the shop or on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

beauf wrote: »
    Where did you get it serviced.

They aren't in the shops to try or buy. It's a very rare sight to see a 8 speed hub geared bike. In the shop or on the street.

I brought it to Bee Cycles, I got the recommendation here (two posts up). The guy is sound and no fuss.

479985.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bluefoam wrote: »
    10 years old, just back from a service. Still in perfect condition... Can't fault it. I don't understand why hub gears aren't more popular...

They are quite excellent.

Even the simple three-speed is just the most amazingly robust and useful invention.

I think the general remarks here are very accurate:
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html#general
    in particular this bit:
    With the popularity of derailer gears taking off in the early 1970's bike boom, internal-gear hubs went out of style in most US markets. This is unfortunate, because many casual or utilitarian cyclists are best served by this type of gearing.

Don't know if this actually uploaded... can't see it on my screen...

480233.jpg

• Advertisement

Always liked those charge bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I have Scott Sub 10 with 8 speed Alfine. Great machine.

Sometimes though I'd like a bigger gear. Its perfect for most of the time, but every now and then when you want to crank it up, you look like a lunatic as you're peddling so fast.

Nearly time to get a new bike. Did see a very nice Cube Editor in my LBS recently.

Be interested to see if the gear ratio on the Alfine 11 is better than the 8? Anyone have experience of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Have you considered changing one of the cogs and the chain to get higher gearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I have Scott Sub 10 with 8 speed Alfine. Great machine.

Sometimes though I'd like a bigger gear. Its perfect for most of the time, but every now and then when you want to crank it up, you look like a lunatic as you're peddling so fast.

Nearly time to get a new bike. Did see a very nice Cube Editor in my LBS recently.

Be interested to see if the gear ratio on the Alfine 11 is better than the 8? Anyone have experience of both?

I've had an Editor for over a year now (Alfine 11) and before that a nexus 8 speed bike. Range is alot better on the Alfine 11 and smoother also.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Selik wrote: »
    I've had an Editor for over a year now (Alfine 11) and before that a nexus 8 speed bike. Range is alot better on the Alfine 11 and smoother also.

The 11 has a much better range at the top end.
    I've an 8 on my cargo bike so we don't spin much, but still happens

Alfine 11
    Gear Ratio Total Difference 409%
    Gear Ratio 1 0.527
    Gear Ratio 2 0.681
    Gear Ratio 3 0.770
    Gear Ratio 4 0.878
    Gear Ratio 5 0.995
    Gear Ratio 6 1.134
    Gear Ratio 7 1.292
    Gear Ratio 8 1.462
    Gear Ratio 9 1.667
    Gear Ratio 10 1.888
    Gear Ratio 11 2.153

Alfine 8
    Gear Ratio Total Difference 307%
    Gear Ratio 1 0.527
    Gear Ratio 2 0.644
    Gear Ratio 3 0.748
    Gear Ratio 4 0.851
    Gear Ratio 5 1
    Gear Ratio 6 1.223
    Gear Ratio 7 1.419
    Gear Ratio 8 1.615

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But is it worth spending ~€450 converting from derailleur gears to an alfine11?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    But is it worth spending ~€450 converting from derailleur gears to an alfine11?

Depends on your criteria... Personally I wouldn't unless you had a bike with damaged derailleur you need to replace & are willing to update everything including shifters and cable to do so. I'd prefer to put it on a bike with horizontal dropouts, but some don't. The frames usually have a different axel width, so a bike with a derailuer would probably need the frame stretched.

If I was buying a bike, or building one I'd 100% chose a hub gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    Biggest issue for me is that I seem to go through chains/cassettes at quite a rate.

Vertical dropouts mean I'd need a chain tensioner so a derailleur of some sort would have to stay. Frame is already 135mm so no stretching required.

Current range on the triple is around 571% while the alfine11 is only 409% so I'm thinking about keeping a double and front mech but using 7-speed chain which is much more durable.

Put into words, it's starting to sound like something of a bodge job so I'll have to think long and hard...

Seems like your losing the simplicity of the hub gear at that point.

I like the idea of the 1x11 on my commuter, then then I use the front mech for big changes from the lights or coming up to lights etc.
    I really only use the rear to adjust my cadence when commuting or climbing. But I'm not really climbing that much.

I have an old alfine 8 bike that need a lot of TLC. Id consider passing it on to someone who would make use of it, or it's parts at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

Just a quick update on the Cube Editor I bought in Feb. No issues so far, has been great for the commute and some weekend spins. Did Dun Laoghaire to Howth and around the head and back at the weekend and was grand.

Definitely liking the maintenance free gears and gates belt drive, very good for a lazy git like me. Having said that, I just did the first oil change on the Alfine 11 hub (probably a little ahead of schedule but I'm playing it safe).

Hopefully will have no issues as I bought it in Fitzcycles, which has now sadly closed. Just highlights my fantastic timing :(

Zero issues apart from the front SKS mudguards rattles a bit. Half thinking of replacing the saddle as it got a bit uncomfortable after 40k, but might not bother :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    Looks good! I replaced the broken/chipped CDN sprocket and installed a CDX sprocket. Replacement of the sprocket wasn't all that difficult. Whenever the new CDN belt is worn down I'll look at a CDX belt for replacing it and eventually look at the CDX crankset.

Finally submitted a warranty claim for the original CDN belt and rear sprocket, will let ye know how it goes. Fingers crossed for a reasonable outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Finally pulled the trigger and got myself a Canyon Commuter 7.0. Upgrading from a Allez Sport.
    Only done about 60km on it but so far so good. The internal/belt combo is great.

Gear ratios are perfect for my commute. Instant shifting when stopped at lights is dead handy too.
    Disc brakes are great coming from calliper brakes on the Allez.
    Integrated light is super bright at night. No need for any other lights in my opinion.
    The bike is heavier than the Allez but not by as much as I thought it was going to be.
    I'm not noticing a huge drop in avg speed(yet to compare on strava), if anything the smoothness of the belt drive almost feels faster.
    m7lfq7pl.jpg

rWwkanJl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It reminds me of a hammerhead shark, but I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

beanian wrote: »
    Finally pulled the trigger and got myself a Canyon Commuter 7.0. Upgrading from a Allez Sport.
    Only done about 60km on it but so far so good. The internal/belt combo is great.

Gear ratios are perfect for my commute. Instant shifting when stopped at lights is dead handy too.
    Disc brakes are great coming from calliper brakes on the Allez.
    Integrated light is super bright at night. No need for any other lights in my opinion.
    The bike is heavier than the Allez but not by as much as I thought it was going to be.
    I'm not noticing a huge drop in avg speed(yet to compare on strava), if anything the smoothness of the belt drive almost feels faster.
    m7lfq7pl.jpg

rWwkanJl.jpg

Looks nice and light - how much and where did you buy it please?

• Advertisement

Looks nice and light - how much and where did you buy it please?
    Canyon.com
    €1899

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Lovely bike, I commute on a cheaper Canyon commuter (no hub gear being the main difference) but it works fantastically well

Lovely bike, I commute on a cheaper Canyon commuter (no hub gear being the main difference) but it works fantastically well

Great to hear, haven't seen many Canyon Commuters out and about so good to hear reports from other owners 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

beanian wrote: »
    Great to hear, haven't seen many Canyon Commuters out and about so good to hear reports from other owners 👍
    Yeah I think it is a bit of a niche market. A lot of people prefer road bikes and see them as slow / heavy hybrids that are not great at any particular type of riding. I love mine for riding in town though - position is upright enough for looking around traffic but aggressive enough to get a bit of speed going. I use mine for any trip up to around 15km one way.

I think not many will pay that much for a commuter and its looks high end which I assume would be a theft magnet.

Lovely bike though.

The canyon is a lovely looking machine, though for that kind of money it should really have an alfine 11 and a CDX belt to go with the CDX components - might be worth looking at upgrading that.

Advertisement