Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared house with a couple

Options
  • 10-10-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi I share a house with 3 other people. We all get on and with our housemates girlfriend. She is moving into the house, how should the rent be broken down or how much should she contribute to the rent?
    Their room is a double room.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Do you mean rent or bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Four people = four way split.

Anything else leads to counting sheets of bog roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

endacl wrote: »
    Four people = four way split.

Anything else leads to counting sheets of bog roll.

Why would two people sharing a room pay the same as one person with their own room?
    Single each pay 28%, couple pay 44%.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Will end in tears...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Split bills evenly.They should pay more rent as they'll still be using bathrooms, common areas, kitchen but not double what one person pays. Maybe 1.5 times a single person assuming all rooms similar.

It will end in tears though most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Its amazing how well people get on with each other until they live with them. Living with a couple will change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

I don't know which is worse with a couple, the fights, or the 'making up' afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

TresGats wrote: »
    I don't know which is worse with a couple, the fights, or the 'making up' afterwards.

Not to mention hogging the kitchen and the living room. There's a good reason why most people refuse to share with couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Say goodbye to the living room TV, you’ll be an awkward spare wheel when they are snuggled up on the couch in there. You will also lose every argument as they back each other up. Many ads specify no couples for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Effects wrote: »
    Why would two people sharing a room pay the same as one person with their own room?

thats 128%

the secret tryst

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Bills split PPS
    So everyone wins on that ...

Rent for the room

Advertise:
    single occupant - 500
    Couple - 700

For example

They way if a single person moves in and find a partner the rate is already pre ageeed

I've shared with couples and no problems. Depends on the couple

> Just re read the first post.
    The rent needs to be hiked upwards by approx 150 to 250 euro for them

If the room was put on the market now what would it command on rent? Use that as a guide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Tigger wrote: »
    thats 128%

28 * 2 = 56 + 44 = 100%. At least that's the way i understood it.

I'd be more 27% each for single rooms and 46% for the couple. At the end of the day, it is only 1 room of the house they have to share together and they want to do it. They are also inflicting their couple bull**** on the others in the house so they get a percentage point each for that.

Bills are an even 4 way split as is house work.

I was a young broke starving student and the other person asked me if his GF for the summer could just buy stuff for the gaff rather than pay rent and I gullibly agreed

She arrived home with a new our of 501 jeans that night

I was seething about the piss take, them both working

Someone said .... careful sharing with couples as they will resent you living in their house after a week :-)

Has been my over all experience though

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Spoken to them there. The bills will be divided 5 ways and they said they would pay €90 more in the rent, so our rent will fall as it is not by room but by house we pay.
    I don't think I have to worry about them taken over the sitting room as my other two housemates are good at doing that. My housemate works a lot so don't really see him too much. I can't see any problems as both are sound and good to me. Believe me I think it be easier to live with a couple than live with my other two housemates they are sound but are very messy. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

I just want it to be fair on them and to us.

hopgirl wrote: »
    Hi I share a house with 3 other people. We all get on and with our housemates girlfriend. She is moving into the house, how should the rent be broken down or how much should she contribute to the rent?
    Their room is a double room.
    Thanks
    Effects wrote: »
    thats 128%
    Ishmael wrote: »
    28 * 2 = 56 + 44 = 100%. At least that's the way i understood it.

I'd be more 27% each for single rooms and 46% for the couple. At the end of the day, it is only 1 room of the house they have to share together and they want to do it. They are also inflicting their couple bull**** on the others in the house so they get a percentage point each for that.

Bills are an even 4 way split as is house work.
    5 people
    the 4 plus the new entrant the girlfriend
    so 3x28 and 54 makes 128%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Spoken to them there. The bills will be divided 5 ways and they said they would pay €90 more in the rent, so our rent will fall as it is not by room but by house we pay.
    I don't think I have to worry about them taken over the sitting room as my other two housemates are good at doing that. My housemate works a lot so don't really see him too much. I can't see any problems as both are sound and good to me. Believe me I think it be easier to live with a couple than live with my other two housemates they are sound but are very messy. Thanks for the replies.

No no no...

90 more per week per month ?
    how much will your rent be after the 90 more is factored in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

90 more per week per month ?
    how much will your rent be after the 90 more is factored in ?

Seems very little + 90

Should be a lot more ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

SNNUS wrote: »
    Will end in tears...

:rolleyes: A broken clock is right twice a day.

The bills are split evenly and the rent should not change too much, double room should probably pay a little more, that would be fair.

:rolleyes: A broken clock is right twice a day.

The bills are split evenly and the rent should not change too much, double room should probably pay a little more, that would be fair.

A lot more imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Thats ok once she doesnt start shouting his name, it puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

thats 128%

It is. I was mistaken and thought it was three people, about to become four.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Because you don't just stay in the room 24/7.

Even split on rent and bills is easiest and best for everyone.

Even split on bills is fair, even split on rent is very rarely fair. The last houseshare I lived in is the only one where rent was equal for each room as the box room was not rented and the other 3 rooms were a similar size.

Any previous houseshare every room had a different rent, it was divided by room size and was fair. You can't have someone in a massive double room paying the same as the person in a box room that thy can't even fully open the door it's so small.

In this situation I think it's probably fair that the price for the room the couple are in would increase a bit compared to what the person is paying now and thus the other rooms decrease a little. Overall though my advice would be don't share with a couple sharing with 3 people is bad enough now it's an extra person and they are a couple making it worse again!

Advertisement